Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times

Advertisements

OP, can you use an HSA or combo of HSA and high deductible plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Statistically, what part of the annual health care costs is being absorbed by liability compensation? Doesn't all that money go back into the non-medical economy (to lawyers and plaintiffs), and should terefore be deducted from the overall coss of medical care?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
OP, can you use an HSA or combo of HSA and high deductible plan?
That could help some. But I don't know that we can afford to contribute to an HSA. Our health insurance is already a pretty huge expense even though it's a high deductible plan.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 AM

365 posts, read 1,253,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I've wanted to discuss this issue with others for a while. I'm a self employed small business owner who is struggling to find quality health care insurance. I was denied by 2 major health care providers due to being seen by my old doctor for acid reflux, a very minor condition. I pay over $500 per month for my family (wife and daughter). It's a pretty big expense and it doesn't cover nearly as much as the policies employers offer. It's the lowest monthly payment we could find and it's offset by higher priced doctor visits and lower coverage on medicine.

So in the land of opportunity, how is that health care providers can turn down small business owners and not the employees of larger corporations?
It seems to me that for being so "pro small business", the small business owner sure gets shafted when it comes to health care.

Anyone else in this situation?
I have been self-employed for most of the last 13 years. For about half that time, DH and I have had no health insurance. A couple of times, we were refused coverage (because DH hasn't been to a dr enough in his life! True story!), but most of the time it's because, after the premiums would be increased to $800 or more per month, we would cancel the policy because we simply can't afford that. (This happened every time we've ever purchased insurance: Premiums would start at $400 or so, and then, within six months, go to $600 and by a year, were $800 or more.)

Currently, we purchase insurance thru DH's employer. He does not contribute, however, so we pay the full premium ($700). And that's for just the two of us.

Have you tried the local Chamber of Commerce? I'm told some will let you join and then you qualify for their plans. (Not the case here, but that's what I'm told.) The prof. associations I belong to offer insurance, but in my case, the rates are just spectacular. I mean, really, $1400/month? for 2 people? Another prof. group I belong to has ins. referrals: Once I looked at the list and saw companies that I had dealt with, had purchased ins. from, or who had refused me coverage, I just said, forget it.

DH wants to retire next year, which means we lose health insurance. We're hoping to go on Cobra until he qualifies for Medicare. I could stay on Cobra for a while, if we can still afford it.

I can't really answer you. I'm in the same boat. The whole health-care system in this country is just broken and miserable. I don't think Canada is necessarily the plan we should be looking to; England and France have far better systems that rank the best in the world. Yes, you pay more in taxes there, but you also get something for your money. And independent medical studies have found that Americans would still pay less than they're paying now, because there would be no premiums, co-pays, deductibles, et al., plus, doctors make more money there...all around, a better system.

We can provide free health care and clinics for Iraqis, but not for ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies