Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
African Americans are offended by certain words. As I recall, they have something to ***** and moan about. I can't quite remember what it was, but it has something to do with boats and shackles.
I think that even more than shackles and boats, and even more than designated public facilities and fountains, I think it also has something to do with the classification of all blacks into particular (and not so flattering) categories while pretending that those who don't fit into those particular categories don't exist or aren't following their "culture."

But at least you're thinking. I like that.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I think it also has something to do with the classification of all blacks into particular (and not so flattering) categories while pretending that those who don't fit into those particular categories don't exist or aren't following their "culture."
That's a good point. A black social worker friend has often complained about hearing from clients that he's "not being true to his culture" or "acting too white", or even that he's an "Uncle Tom", just for being educated and doing his job helping out those same folks in areas like Watts and east L.A.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
Why are white people not offended by slurs like kracker, honky or white trash?

Racist/ Nazi, is probaly the most offensive slur to a white person
I don't see what there is to be offended by, other than ignorance.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:04 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I think white men are typically raised to be rational about feelings. YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT? The statement itself suggests otherwise. As we're growing up, if we go to the men in our lives with a complaint, the response is "so what?" In order for our offense to be taken seriously, we have to be able to explain it rationally. Being upset over those names doesn't cut the rational mustard, whereas, blacks and women are generally permitted and encouraged to be romantic. Romantic??? WHAT???

The "n word" used to cover that. It's actually nuanced amongst whites (who'd actually use it these days) consistent with the description Chris Rock gives it. Really? Have you seen his latest stand-up? He discusses this issue at length. Surely you're not supporting whitey's use of the word. Chris Rock makes it very clear that whites can NEVER use the word. However, society chose to suppress criticism of blacks. Here's your reward: You, a good black person, are no better than a bad black person because blacks have suppressed criticism.

Since when is suppressing thought justice?
Justice is more about action than thought.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Honestly there aren't many words or names that offend me. The only time I AM offended is if I feel the person is right. The slur "Cracker" makes us think of Ritz and Wheat Thins. "Honky" might make me wonder if you were talking about my b--bs.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Some people are too easily offended....overly sensitive.....take things too personally. It's probably not even about them. I don't buy into the whole "MADE me feel" idea. "It MADE me feel [this]" or "He MADE me feel [that]". No, he or it didn't. None of them can MAKE you feel anything. You CHOOSE how to feel or react to any given situation. It's called owning your feelings and taking responsibility for your actions.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:40 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Some people are too easily offended....overly sensitive.....take things too personally. It's probably not even about them. I don't buy into the whole "MADE me feel" idea. "It MADE me feel [this]" or "He MADE me feel [that]". No, he or it didn't. None of them can MAKE you feel anything. You CHOOSE how to feel or react to any given situation. It's called owning your feelings and taking responsibility for your actions.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 PM

271 posts, read 583,136 times
We are but most whites are to afraid of being called a racist or a nazi to say anything about it, believe me if someone starts dishing it out i can throw it back just as well and alot better. I have no time and no patience for idiots.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:14 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1k
I think white men are typically raised to be rational about feelings.
YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT? The statement itself suggests otherwise.
That's been my experience. If it hasn't been yours, I guess the response would be "that hasn't been mine."

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1k
As we're growing up, if we go to the men in our lives with a complaint, the response is "so what?" In order for our offense to be taken seriously, we have to be able to explain it rationally. Being upset over those names doesn't cut the rational mustard, whereas, blacks and women are generally permitted and encouraged to be romantic.
Romantic??? WHAT???
Unnecessarily sentimental and/or emotional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1k
The "n word" used to cover that. It's actually nuanced amongst whites (who'd actually use it these days) consistent with the description Chris Rock gives it.
Really? Have you seen his latest stand-up? He discusses this issue at length. Surely you're not supporting whitey's use of the word. Chris Rock makes it very clear that whites can NEVER use the word.
No, I think he's an idiot, but his description of the "n word" was accurate.

I don't care what words anyone uses for any other group. I think making an issue about it is a sign of personal weakness.

And, I certainly don't care what anyone else thinks about who should and shouldn't use any word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1k
Since when is suppressing thought justice?
Justice is more about action than thought.
Just like Orwell's "1984", eh?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSouthDakota View Post
We are but most whites are to afraid of being called a racist or a nazi to say anything about it, believe me if someone starts dishing it out i can throw it back just as well and alot better. I have no time and no patience for idiots.
Yeah, I understand. I have little patience for generalizations that start with something like this:
"Most whites are ........" followed by something like "to[o] afraid".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies