Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMecca View Post
Yeah you hit it on the head....the other terms have deep histories whereas Kracker is something that really became popular from the Jeffersons lol -- means nothing

I may have become mainstream but thats not where it was created. Have you ever heard the term "Crack the whip"? Did that come from the Jeffersons as well? The term came from the slave days...to the slave the white slave owner was the one who "cracked the whip" therefore he is the "cracker"

Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 PM

789 posts, read 1,333,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagittarius84 View Post
I may have become mainstream but thats not where it was created. Have you ever heard the term "Crack the whip"? Did that come from the Jeffersons as well? The term came from the slave days...to the slave the white slave owner was the one who "cracked the whip" therefore he is the "cracker"
The Wikipedia article on the word "Cracker" has your origin listed under "Folk Etymology".

Old 09-07-2008, 11:47 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
remember Cracker Jacks

Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 AM

100 posts, read 190,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
The Wikipedia article on the word "Cracker" has your origin listed under "Folk Etymology".
um ..is that your way of saying it is not true?You do see that Florida cattle herders with whips were given the same name.
and with a Etymology its just a research of a word without any historical documentation to back it up.If you leave your search only to your 10th grade history book then you will miss out on a lot of historical proclamations that the world would not like you to know but lets just go off of their "def" in wikipedia that is posted and it really holds no racist ground to it ,so if you are offended by that word then you are to sensitive.
Lets also remember that black history was grossly overlooked for years and slaves were not actually by law allowed to read or write to record their experiences at that time.So lord knows what else we have gained from those times as far as terms are concerned that we do not know about.

I guess these black folks will not get credit for everything they say or use.Didn't they actually build this country called...wait what is it called...hold on it's coming to me...

"America"

but your history book and your wikipedia will just tell you about their hot summer days of singing spirituals and picking cotton.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Cracker, Southern U.S. derogatory term for "poor, white trash" (1766), is from c.1450 crack "to boast" (e.g. not what it's cracked up to be), originally a Scottish word. Especially of Georgians by 1808, though often extended to residents of northern Florida.

"I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas and Georgia, who often change their places of abode." [1766, G. Cochrane]

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

(My note: Of course, G. Cochrane might have been wrong, when he wrote to his Lordship. His credentials as an etymologist are not secure.)

Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 AM

789 posts, read 1,333,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEY P View Post
um ..is that your way of saying it is not true?You do see that Florida cattle herders with whips were given the same name.
and with a Etymology its just a research of a word without any historical documentation to back it upEtymology is the study of the history of words so for you to say it isn't historical is very dishonest..If you leave your search only to your 10th grade history book then you will miss out on a lot of historical proclamations that the world would not like you to knowWhat? Does this make sense to anyone else? but lets just go off of their "def" in wikipedia that is posted and it really holds no racist ground to it Actually it does have racist implications.,so if you are offended by that word then you are to sensitive.I'm not offended by it.
Lets also remember that black history was grossly overlooked for years and slaves were not actually by law allowed to read or write to record their experiences at that time.What does this have to do with anything?So lord knows what else we have gained from those times as far as terms are concerned that we do not know about.

I guess these black folks will not get credit for everything they say or use.Didn't they actually build this country called...wait what is it called...hold on it's coming to me...

"America"
What the hell are you talking about?
but your history book and your wikipedia will just tell you about their hot summer days of singing spirituals and picking cotton.
Check the bold text for my response.

WTF?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:13 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
Why are white people not offended by slurs like kracker, honky or white trash?

Racist/ Nazi, is probaly the most offensive slur to a white person
Of course they are. I had a little cry baby report me last week for saying "Cracker." Bent 'em all out of shape, so silly, especially since I'm practically transparent.

Stupid cracker.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:15 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
remember Cracker Jacks

I'd imagine "Honky Jacks" probably would be a flop...but who knows?

OK, I've officially offended myself and will dismiss myself from this thread.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEY P View Post
Question.Why does white America feel like they are discriminated against so much?Someone please explain?
We're not. And neither are you.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
We love the Fightin' Whities!

Fighting Whites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My husband wears their tee shirt all the time.

Seriously, we're proud of our white heritage (although we can't admit that in public) and you can call us whatever you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies