Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 PM

149 posts, read 762,103 times

Advertisements

Spanking, and other forms of punishment are not ideal. I think that people who need to resort to spanking are those who lack patience and the intelligence to outsmart a child. Sure it drives home a message, but it also creates anger and resentment towards the parent. The effects of punishment are short-lived as well; many times the child does not learn a lessson because they don't understand the reasons behind the aggression, it was not explained to them. All they've learned is that mommy or daddy will get angry. Kids will find alternate ways to undermine the parent and get/do what they want without getting in trouble because the parent doesn't know about it. It sends mixed signals and creates mistrust.
Better methods involve the use of positive and negative reinforcement. However, this involves some planning and anticipation of bad bahavior before it happens. I think spanking is often learned as acceptable behavior through parents, so a child who was spanked is more likely to spank his/her children. Very similar to patterns of abuse and bullying.
When I was spanked as a child, I would say 95% of the time I did not deserve it. It was usually an accident that occurred that I wound up taking the blame for because my father hit first and asked questions later. Because of that I was always unsure of whether I should love him or fear him. There is a fine line between spanking and hitting, and sometimes that line is crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 06:31 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Open Question:

How do you feel about spankings?
Some people will pay some serious coin to get one by the right person. Wearing the right outfit. With the right spanking toy.........slurp.......

Old 09-07-2008, 06:45 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
I think its a personal thing & nobodies buisness how someone raises their child.
Now, if a kid comes in to school obviously battered thats one thing but this idea that spanking is just wrong is absurd.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Open Question:

How do you feel about spankings? Are they an appropriate rearing mechanism, or do they just instill violence into society?
Depend's are you talking about spanking a child or a wife? I say yes to both! Rearing mechanism?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 PM

789 posts, read 1,333,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
Spanking, and other forms of punishment are not ideal. I think that people who need to resort to spanking are those who lack patience and the intelligence to outsmart a child. Sure it drives home a message, but it also creates anger and resentment towards the parent. The effects of punishment are short-lived as well; many times the child does not learn a lessson because they don't understand the reasons behind the aggression, it was not explained to them. All they've learned is that mommy or daddy will get angry. Kids will find alternate ways to undermine the parent and get/do what they want without getting in trouble because the parent doesn't know about it. It sends mixed signals and creates mistrust.
Better methods involve the use of positive and negative reinforcement. However, this involves some planning and anticipation of bad bahavior before it happens. I think spanking is often learned as acceptable behavior through parents, so a child who was spanked is more likely to spank his/her children. Very similar to patterns of abuse and bullying.
When I was spanked as a child, I would say 95% of the time I did not deserve it. It was usually an accident that occurred that I wound up taking the blame for because my father hit first and asked questions later. Because of that I was always unsure of whether I should love him or fear him. There is a fine line between spanking and hitting, and sometimes that line is crossed.
First of all I'd like to see sources for your claims. I'd also like to know if you have kids.

I have 2 daughters, one is 9 months, the other is almost 3 years old. Before I had a child I was completely against spanking. I thought it was brutal and pledged to never do it. My mind changed once I had kids. I've never spanked the 9 month old but her older sister has been spanked probably 6 times in her life. It worked very well. You can't reason with someone without reasoning skills. Time-out wouldn't work because she had no idea of what I was trying to get her to do. She would get up, I'd put her back, rinse, wash, repeat. Spanking worked so I did it. Not because I was lazy or stupid, but because nothing else worked. Now that she is older I can put her in time-out. The most effective thing I do now is use gentle scolding. I haven't had to spank her in months and I doubt she will even be able to remember it when she gets older. Don't get me wrong. I only started spanking when all other efforts wore-out. In the hands of a responsible and intelligent parent, spanking can be very effective without causing resentment.

When I was growing up I was always yelled at; I wish I were spanked.

You said, "other forms of punishment are not ideal." It's part of a parents job to punish their child; it would be very irresponsible not to.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 PM

119 posts, read 865,283 times
I don't have children, but if I did, I would never hurt them or anyone for that matter. I was never hit as child, but I think sometimes words can hurt the most.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
no it should not be illegal. as a nation, rights have been rolled back so very very far. i am less than pleased with the results. our basic concept of punishment as being useful and necessary to us at the child or adult level is on the line.
this is not working well at all. a giant experiment gone sour.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
No. But breeding when you don't have the parental skills to care for another human being should be.
Are we going to empanel a jury for every baby that's born, or plea-bargain them all?

Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
I disagree. Emotional scars run much deeper, and cause more-long term damage.
Are you saying that if a parent makes a child feel shame for misbehaving, that the parents are guilty of doing long-term emotional damage to the child?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:05 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331
I disagree. Emotional scars run much deeper, and cause more-long term damage.
I was spanked as a child.. man that was a long long time ago.. I turned out fine. Look at me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies