Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:06 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times

Advertisements

There's quite a list of things most people, even people I otherwise find admirable and intelligent, seem to by a far majority back.

These include:

Popular music: Come to think of it, I think popular music was pretty good until the 2000s. The complete craphole Top 40 radio is now shows that anyone can be famous, if they have the right image and the noise they make can even be considered music.

Dogs are better than cats: I love both, but it seems most people (about 75%) prefer dogs. Why I don't know. Maybe it's because dogs have a more visible desire to worship, and do cooler tricks? Not that I don't like dogs, but generally I find cat lovers (and animal lovers in general) more selfless, aware and compassionate people.

Religion: People who don't believe in an organized religion are still the minority in the world, the only places that are really that religion-less are the American Northwest, Western Europe and some former Communist countries (which are now becoming more religious). All of these places are still pretty religious anyway.

Vulgar/R-rated = cool: R-rated movies, swearing, and other vulgar things have their place, but it's really annoying how almost EVERYONE thinks they're so badass and cool. It's just lame to hear 8 year old girls say "****" every other word, or nerds get tattoos. They were a non-mainstream taste for a reason right? I'm sick of everyone having the decency of street criminals (I'm a liberal, but also a romantic and I believe in having class).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Most people think one piece of anecdotal hearsay evidence is proof of an entire proposition.

Most people think that "Anybody can become a doctor" means the same as "Everybody can become a doctor".

Most people think that if you respect people in other countries, you hate America.

Most people think that everyone will figure out what they're trying to say, regardless of how bad their punctuation, grammar and spelling are.

Most people don't know when apples are oranges, and when they're not.

I guess those are the main ones I see on this board.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most people think one piece of anecdotal hearsay evidence is proof of an entire proposition.

Most people think that "Anybody can become a doctor" means the same as "Everybody can become a doctor".

Most people think that if you respect people in other countries, you hate America.

Most people think that everyone will figure out what they're trying to say, regardless of how bad their punctuation, grammar and spelling are.

Most people don't know when apples are oranges, and when they're not.

I guess those are the main ones I see on this board.
Loves it

Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
As far as "popular" music (and movies and TV for that matter) go, just remember the key word is POPULAR. Tastes change, when I was in my teens and 20s what was popular "sounded" to my ear quite different than what is "popular" today. Although I'm pretty sure my parrents thought The Beatles, Stones, Who and Elton John sounded as foreign as this current crop sounds to me.

For the movie ratings I agree. There is one thing I'd like to throw out for consideration though. A few years ago the heads of the TV networks were complaining that they "couldn't compete with 'The Sopranos'". Tony and Pauly could swear (including the "F" bomb), kill people and the audience lapped it up.

They completely overlooked the fact that "The Sopranos" also had; good writers, who knew how to develop a character and tell a story, characters that the audience could "identify" with, not agree with! In short "The Sopranos was great entertainment, even without the swearing and killing. As was "Deadwood", "Rome" and many other shows on cable.

The networks complaint is totally misplaced. The big 4 KNOW how to produce great shows, they simply chose not to. Look at some of the bigger "hits" of the '90s (and I don't mean any of the so-called reality TV); Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, Mad About You, NYPD Blue etc. All of them told interesting, and often compelling stories, about characters that the audience identified with with well written dialog. No swearing, (on-screen) killing or nudity in those shows. Well, OK NYPD did a bit of "light" swearing and showed an occassional butt-cheek. But no overtly sexualized nudity.

Today most of the well written and acted shows that I watch are on cable; "The Closer", "In Plain Sight", "Burn Notice". Although I'm looking forward to getting "Life" again this year.

golfgod

Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Dogs are better than cats: I love both, but it seems most people (about 75%) prefer dogs. Why I don't know. Maybe it's because dogs have a more visible desire to worship, and do cooler tricks? Not that I don't like dogs, but generally I find cat lovers (and animal lovers in general) more selfless, aware and compassionate people.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!??? So having cats is a marker for awareness, compassion and selflessness? What's that smell? Oh, it's pretense and insanity.

I think people prefer dogs because a dog would genuinely mourn the passing of a family member. The relationship between a working dog (i.e. a police German Shepherd, a hunting labrador, a herding border collie) and his master is one of the most rewarding associations and deepest bonds in nature. It's really second only to your spouse and children. Even a completely untrained family dog has a real place at the family table. Cats don't do that. Cats are affectionate, but if you were gone he wouldn't give a sh*t. He doesn't care what you're saying, he doesn't want a job, he just wants to make your house smell like p*ss.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:47 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
He doesn't care what you're saying, he doesn't want a job, he just wants to make your house smell like p*ss.
I have a cousin like that.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 AM

100 posts, read 307,687 times
the idea that we still have a representative democracy. the idea that liberal/conservative actually means something at this point. the idea that this is just a 'down cycle' and will turn around soon because 'that's just how the market works.' the idea that this country is not being looted and sold out at every level with the full complicity of a false media as we sit back, suck our thumbs, and debate distractionary issues that mean nothing.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

Today most of the well written and acted shows that I watch are on cable; "The Closer", "In Plain Sight", "Burn Notice". Although I'm looking forward to getting "Life" again this year.

golfgod
Can I ask how old you are because I also don't watch anything other than The Unit on the lower 13 channels preferring cable everything. In fact, if I had the option with my cable company, I'd drop the regular networks.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
RE: Things most people you think get wrong?

Grammar and sentence composition are high on my list.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
They think the "trickle down" theory of economics actually works.

They think if someone works 40 hours/week, they are able to buy everything they need.

They think we're not in a recession.

They think that this country is not like the fall of the Roman Empire.

They think the Rolling Stones are too old to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies