Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Yeah, explain that budget deficit that came out of what was a SURPLUS in 2001. Bush ended the halycon days of America, and thanks to him my generation can be taxed for mistakes he made in Iraq.
newsflash to you war costs. Anyway yes i agree with the OP, he did do that pretty well, other than that i think he has been a little anemic in office other than a few key things. I do appreciate that he can at least not screw anything up like that clintons did in office by selling our intelligence information to Arab countries, now he has to do the dirty work by defending our country and ofcourse he gets slammed for it.

nothing new, people will point a finger anywhere they feel when they have problems. I feel he has been a good president. He could have done alot better, but at least he didn't screw us over like previous presidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. As McCain thought - the economy is just fine and we are all whiners.

Comments like this only make the poster look bad.

Everyday people need only to look at their own lives and those of family members to see just how 'good' the economy is.

When your economic policies destroy the middle class, you have effectively destroyed the country.

I agree. I think some just want to sound smarty because they know things aren't good, but they are lording doing well during tough times over others. Politicians who talk that way turn off voters, because they won't acknowledge what is really happening to people.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Many of the blue states have Democratic governments and they choose to enact laws that kill off their own business. They make their own poison, if you will. Look at Michigan; a solid democrat-union state that killed itself, and Detroit was the main reason for this. It has a lot less to do with the federal government than you think.
Michigan spiraled into the crapper during the 12 yers of Republican governor John Engler, when all the auto plants moved their operations to Canada. More units are now made in Ontario than Michigan, because the automakers don't have to pay $5-10-thousnad per year per worker for their health insurance. Engler was finally thrown out in disgrace by the voters in '02, but it was too late to save a doomed Michigan. Michigan wasn't such a solid democratic state when Engler was eating its guts out. Virtually every state department was in virtual shutdown mode by the time Engler fled from the state house.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Want some cheese with that whine, MM? Oops, that'll be taxed, too, either way!
You didn't answer the question.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Jerz,
I live in CA, and I see first hand what's going on. The OP wasn't suppose to be a bash on Democrats or a bash on Republicans. Just wanted to point out that based on policies and actions made in the last 8 years, as a result, the Red States has ended up more financially sound than the Blue ones.

-chuck22b
What a ridiculous assertion, backed up with nothing more than some pipe dream outline.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Nothing makes red state bible thumpers happier voters than some good old government subsidies like the food corn to fuel ethanol programs and increased military spending in general. Even with the incredible amount of Federal money lavished on these state their combined economic output is still less then New York or California without the rest of the blue states. Fortunately their Electoral College votes accurately reflect their economic and political weakness.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Yeah, sure, the economy is good for whom??

We've lost jobs with outsourcing, we have depressed wages for decades, all the costs of housing, utilities, etc. go up, but our wages don't. We have people who work 40 hours but can't afford housing, we have a huge mortgage crisis and we bail out the lenders, NOT the people, people can't afford food as the prices go up, etc. etc. on and on and on....

Whenever I hear "the economy is good", I have to laugh.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
A man I know with years of computer programming experience and his wife, a special needs student aid person, just lost both their jobs.

Thank you, Ronnie Raygun and the rest of you Republican greed masters.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Ironic that red states have been receiving all the gubmint subsidies from Ag, oil, and ethanol.

Also ironic that the bear market rally from making our mortgage markets the most communist in the free world is cheered upon. Do the lyrics of our anthem still apply? I saw we adopt the old Soviet anthem since no one is using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies