Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is patriotism a virtue or vice?
Virtue 35 61.40%
Vice 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,129,142 times

Advertisements

I see patriotism/nationalism as a holdover of the days when people were less individualistic and more communal, when we had more of a "hive" mentality you might say. In the post-modern world, patriotism is arguably blind and not as important.

What's your feeling - virtue or vice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Patriotism as it is practiced and understood in the United States is a great vice, bordering on a mental disorder.

There could theoretically be such a thing as rational patriotism that involved loving one's own country (though not denying its shortcomings) without feeling the need to hate or disparage anyone else's country, and not pretending it is right when it is very plainly not. But I've found that almost all Americans who claim to be patriotic practice the ignorant kind of patriotism.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Let me post here a general question for all of you. Please form an answer to this question, so that it would be equally applicable to a citizen of any country in the world.

What are the obligations and responsibilities of a patriotic citizen?

Remember, whatever you say will need to apply to an American, an Iranian, a Zimbablwean, a Swede, or a Russian.

I don't mean to hijack this post, and by all means, discuss the OP. But that would be hard to do without first thinking about this question.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,718,269 times
Blind patriotism is awful, but I have no problem with patriotism itself. Too many people support our actions as a nation without understanding history.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Patriotism as it is practiced and understood in the United States is a great vice, bordering on a mental disorder.

There could theoretically be such a thing as rational patriotism that involved loving one's own country (though not denying its shortcomings) without feeling the need to hate or disparage anyone else's country, and not pretending it is right when it is very plainly not. But I've found that almost all Americans who claim to be patriotic practice the ignorant kind of patriotism.
I am a patriot and I don't do those things. I will not say for example that the United States is the "best" country in the world. There are many good countries including those in Europe, Austrailia and Canada. I will say that we are in the company of the best when compared with crapholes like Mexico, Hati and religous nutcase Muslim countries. I don't "hate" those countries but they are not places I would want to live. And considering the number of their own citizens that sneak in here, alot of them agree with me.
I don't say "my country right or wrong". If it is "wrong", it is our duty as Americans to make it "right". And I think we do a decent job of that when you consider that, when I was born, a black boy could not go to my school and now a black man is running to be my President.
But I will say that I love this country. It is my home and the home of my family. And I take pride in it. The flag flies on this house from Memorial Day to 9-12 every year (used to take it down on Labour Day until 9-11-01). As a liberal I do not tell others how they should feel or act and, if they do not wish to stand for the anthem or say the pledge, so be it. That is their right in a free country. But I will stand so long as I draw a breath of life!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 PM

922 posts, read 1,909,729 times
Default Duty, honor, country

That doesnt meen blind obedience, it is my duty to keep my country on the path the founding fathers set. it is an honor to be part of the only country that started a land for personal freedom, self governed. no other country in the history of the world has done so much for all. and NO it is NOT like Iran, or russia, or france.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:08 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,343,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
Blind patriotism is awful, but I have no problem with patriotism itself. Too many people support our actions as a nation without understanding history.
---------------

We have a Rep congressman politician here in Miami .
Pro Iraq surge ,pro any war NEVER served a day and voted to CUT FUNDs for hurt Iraq/ Afghanistan vets .

However due to his neocon speeches he is seen as patriotic and a hero. He is a Cuban Rush Limbaugh (actually much worse ).

Your right blind "patriotism" is aweful people need to stop being such sheep and look at actions not empty words.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

I practice intelligent patriotism. I've visited and lived in many countries; very many are fantastic places to live. For example, I could live in Germany and be content as ever. However, I love the United States - it is my favorite country of all. Of course, I am a little biased.

Cheers

Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM

271 posts, read 583,315 times
Depends if you are overly patriotic and believe everything the government tells you, follows the line completely or you think for yourself and love your country and not the government who is ruining it.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
If you think that there is some sort of script or catechism that can or should be followed in support of patriotism, or if you respond to blatant patriotic stimulii as if you were one of Pavlov's dogs...you are doing it wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies