U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 AM

3,030 posts, read 4,779,629 times

Advertisements

The answer is Both. If you think otherwise, you've bought into the "Republican Spin" that you're not American if you don't agree with EVERYTHING the president decides to do.

LIBERALS, REPUBLICANS, and INDEPENDANTS all support our troops. After all, it's our men and women over there fighting. The troops only go where the government sends them. The military isn't a democracy where the troops collectively vote where they'll go next. Everyone understands this.

Liberals think this is the land of Equal Rights where everyone has the right to do what makes them happy (as long as its legal) and to be treated fairly. That's the "back-bone" of Americans. Republicans believe it to (to an extent).

Let's forget all the infighting, band together, and do whats best for America. Let's be the Americans we all want to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 AM

4,425 posts, read 5,496,029 times
exactly... everyone expresses their views out of love for the country....
some just think they're more patriotic than others....

Old 09-10-2008, 03:34 PM

20,136 posts, read 22,202,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
exactly... everyone expresses their views out of love for the country....
some just think they're more patriotic than others....
I disagree.

Some love the country for what she has always been. Others yearn for her to become something quite different.

You would seem to fall into the latter group, for example.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,581,054 times
I was about to agree with you but decided otherwise.

I believe the Constitution is an 'as is' document, smaller government, states rights, national defence and general welfare (aside, general welfare is support of a judiciary that rules on the intent of the Constitution not the fairness of life on earth, and certainly not redistribution of wealth). I don't think the fed has any business in the private lives of citizens. Yes, including that.

I believe that has historically been the basic intent of conservatives.
I believe liberals wish to 'interpret' the Constitution to suit the preferred needs of the moment, including judicial legislating by decision.
I think independents just wish we would all go away.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,821,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
The answer is Both. If you think otherwise, you've bought into the "Republican Spin" that you're not American if you don't agree with EVERYTHING the president decides to do.

LIBERALS, REPUBLICANS, and INDEPENDANTS all support our troops. After all, it's our men and women over there fighting. The troops only go where the government sends them. The military isn't a democracy where the troops collectively vote where they'll go next. Everyone understands this.

Liberals think this is the land of Equal Rights where everyone has the right to do what makes them happy (as long as its legal) and to be treated fairly. That's the "back-bone" of Americans. Republicans believe it to (to an extent).

Let's forget all the infighting, band together, and do whats best for America. Let's be the Americans we all want to be.
Bravo!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM

2,751 posts, read 4,975,676 times
Dissent is American, regardless of where it comes from.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:39 PM

11,946 posts, read 19,396,272 times
Liberals,Conservatives and other don't even agree with each other all the time.

For instance,while some liberals might support the troops,some liberals don't like the ones in Berkeley who protest outside a Marine corps office shouting obsenities at them.

Some conservatives champion small government but when it comes to something they don't like they turn around and use government for their agenda like defining marriage.......

Old 09-10-2008, 05:40 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,601,295 times
Every American I have ever met is just about equally patroitic, in that they all have a genuine appreciation for what America was originally meant to stand for, they all have a desire to see America a wonderful country to live in, and they are willing to contribute as they can to make it a good place to live. They do not all agree on what it was meant to stand for, or how it can be wonderful, or how to go about making it a good place.

I once had a friend who was a career soldier, WWII vet, and the regional commander in the state Nationa Guard, and maybe the most conservative man I've ever known. We had lots of nice discussions. I once pointed out the window and asked him "If you had known this country would turn out like this, would you have fought for it?" He thought for a moment, and said "Maybe not."

Did that make him less patriotic? Or just indignant, that so many of his hopes and dreams for his country had gone unfulfilled.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:42 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,419,594 times
i think most people have the core values of democrats. its just some specific values that steer them towards the republicans

Old 09-10-2008, 05:44 PM

61,305 posts, read 79,601,165 times
being an american is about being a 2 party system
when we dont believe in 2 party system then we are more like pre WWII germany than america.
this hard right habit of calling into question anyones loyality to the country
who has doubts about foreign policy and budget this bothers me greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies