U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 PM

5,449 posts, read 6,724,690 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (Sept. 10) - The U.S. military conceded it was not winning the fight against an increasingly deadly insurgency in Afghanistan and said on Wednesday it would revise its strategy to combat militant safe havens in Pakistan.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the House of Representatives Armed Services Committee success in Afghanistan would require more civilian effort beyond the military fight.

Military Says Afghan Strategy Not Working
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:13 AM

22,798 posts, read 16,032,466 times
It won't be long now. I give it 1-2 years before NATO allies give up and then another year before the US sticks its tail between its legs and leaves.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,710,112 times
Nushin Arbabzadah: Across Afghanistan, women are setting fire to themselves. What drives them to this level of desperation? | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I won't comment on this. I'll just pass it along.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 AM

11,948 posts, read 19,415,861 times
it is a horrible thing that people are treated this badly and that women have little rights but we should remember we are there to kill Al Queda and any Taliban that get in the way,not try and change the core of a civilization and nation build.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,629,942 times
US will never win in Afghanistan.....we shud have learned that from the Soviet occupation. The Oil tycoons will keep pouring money into the hands of the Talibans and Al Qaeda as they believe it's what God wants them to do.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 AM

4,172 posts, read 6,220,637 times
I think this is a biggie - in June '08, Bush had approved US "incursions" into Pakistan. We are finally starting to target the safe-cave regions of Pakistan. It is the headline of NYTimes on line today - here is the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/wa...policy.html?hp

Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
I think this is a biggie - in June '08, Bush had approved US "incursions" into Pakistan. We are finally starting to target the safe-cave regions of Pakistan. It is the headline of NYTimes on line today - here is the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/wa...policy.html?hp
Not a good idea anymore....Musharaf is out. I don't think we wanna get into war with Pakistan too

Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Not a good idea anymore....Musharaf is out. I don't think we wanna get into war with Pakistan too
The new president Zardari who got elected (by coming in second to "none of the above" in a 3-way vote) says he wants to help the US. Apparently, Karzai seems to believe him for now (BBC News). Zardari now has the same problem as Mush - not pi$$Ing off US, not pi$$Ing off the fanatics internally, not pi$$Ing off the secret service which has many jehadist types, etc. Not many people would want another war as the Iraqi war has taken away our options. Besides, even the US will need to think twice before invading a nuclear nation no matter how technologically unsophisticated that nation is. But, not doing anything is also sending the wrong message and things are becoming worse. This region is where the trouble started ... we need to finish things off. This is where the lines in sand need to be drawn since this region is the safe haven for terrorists. Bin Laden would be an icing on the cake. (added on edit: incursions are a good option now, war probably not)

Old 09-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
The new president Zardari who got elected (by coming in second to "none of the above" in a 3-way vote) says he wants to help the US. Apparently, Karzai seems to believe him for now (BBC News). Zardari now has the same problem as Mush - not pi$$Ing off US, not pi$$Ing off the fanatics internally, not pi$$Ing off the secret service which has many jehadist types, etc. Not many people would want another war as the Iraqi war has taken away our options. Besides, even the US will need to think twice before invading a nuclear nation no matter how technologically unsophisticated that nation is. But, not doing anything is also sending the wrong message and things are becoming worse. This region is where the trouble started ... we need to finish things off. This is where the lines in sand need to be drawn since this region is the safe haven for terrorists. Bin Laden would be an icing on the cake. (added on edit: incursions are a good option now, war probably not)

I think the PM over there has already condemned and warned US about those strikes inside Pakistan. Two, the new guy is supposedly Bhutto's widower. Bhutto was anti-Musharaf, presumably anti-US. The war on oil -- ooops, i mean terror is going very sour right now.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
I think the PM over there has already condemned and warned US about those strikes inside Pakistan. Two, the new guy is supposedly Bhutto's widower. Bhutto was anti-Musharaf, presumably anti-US. The war on oil -- ooops, i mean terror is going very sour right now.
Agree - if there is 1 place to wage a war on terror, this is it - even a simpleton should be able to see that.
I guess their leaders need to survive, so they need to be anti-US in their public prouncements. I dont think we thought Mush was pro-US but we made alliance with the devil out of necessity. Their nuclear scientist was selling nuclear secrets, while Pak got $10 billion in aid. Bhutto was anti-Mush, but she was also a crook. Her husband, the present President is known as Mr 10% and is regarded by some credible reports to be "mentally unstable"! No one said this would be boring.
Now.. if the safe caves in Pakistan had oil, we would be all over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies