U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:17 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,988,061 times

Advertisements

You have taken on a very bitter and defensive tone, and seem inclined to lash out at people who do not share your views. Have you considered professinal help?
There is a market for people who want open legs, not hearts. Do you believe in free enterprise?
No prostitute has ever phoned me at supper time and pitched her product., so I have no particular personal contempt for them.
No group of workers are doing exactly what they want, no group of people comply 100% with anything---deal with it.
"You even said that since I'm the minority that whatever I say doesn't count,"---show me that quote.
You watch Maury Povich, and you're shocked by ME??
Sorry, I don't watch Maury Povich, so I'm not an authority on anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 12:16 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,808,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
Who said anything about making sex with children legal? It's been said many times, the actions of two consenting adults is no business of yours or the government. We already have laws pertaining to statutory rape and child molestation, which should be actively prosecuted in every instance.
What I was trying to say was that since some people seem to think that prostitution is less shameful than phone sales, and want it legalized, then do you think is it right to encourage teen girls to not go to college and just start hooking once they turn 18?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:18 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,134,576 times
yes.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:23 PM

1,589 posts, read 4,216,925 times
Prostitution has been legal in Denmark since the 12th century and it surely is good for the government (taxes), girls (health and safety), customers (you know) ... thus society

Old 09-14-2008, 12:50 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,808,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Prostitution has been legal in Denmark since the 12th century and it surely is good for the government (taxes), girls (health and safety), customers (you know) ... thus society
They do not recognized it as a field of work, and they are not protected under workers protection laws, or unemployment benefits.
Also it cannot be her sole form of income.
So how is it good for society?

Anyways anyone who thinks its ok for women to be treated like objects rather as people, sicken me.
I've given my views on this subject, as another poster said; so long as it's not freely allowed here in the states.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
What I was trying to say was that since some people seem to think that prostitution is less shameful than phone sales, and want it legalized, then do you think is it right to encourage teen girls to not go to college and just start hooking once they turn 18?
No, but mainly for one reason: Prostitution, as a career, by its very nature, has an early best-by date. Their market value declines rapidly. Girls should be encouraged to pursue a career that is more likely to be useful to them for their entire working lives. But I see nothing wrong with a girl using prostitution as a short-term means of working her way through college. She can make more money in a half hour and then get back to her books, than she can in 8 hours in a phone bank at a call center. But not in a backwrd country like America, where prostitition has been forced into the back alleys and crack houses, where it leads to the almost certain death that Americans think unlucky and desperate girls deserve.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,282,275 times
Quote:
I don't think you grasp the difference between permitting and condoning. If we are free, we are free to make both good decisions and bad decisions. Merely being able to make poor decisions does not equate with condoning those poor decisions.

If you restrict people from the ability to make their own decisions, they have been robbed of their liberty. The very principle this nation had been founded upon.

But if you and your neighbors decide to restrict freedom and decide to mandate your personal beliefs upon others, don't cry when the tide shifts and others wish to mandate their beliefs upon you... because you would have set the precedent.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:13 PM

There is something that should be said here about :legal" prostitution. It does not mean that every giel is free to put on a short skirt and bright red lipstick and stand on the street corner. Wherever prostitution is legal, there are always one of more of the following restrictions:
1. Only in certain designated areas.
2. Only in brothels---no free agents.
3. Never in brothels---only one girl on the premises.
4. Not permitted to solicit customers.
5. Not permitted to recruit or encourage persons to become prostitutes.
6. Not permitted for a third party to receive remuneration.
Probably some more that I haven't thought of. Any movement toward legalization needs to decide which of these, if any, will be written into the legislation.

There are very, very few countries in the world in which some form of prostitution is not considered legal (de facto or de jure) to a greater extent than in the USA. In every country, there are poeple who engage in prostitution outside the law. But that is also true of gambling, alcohol, etc. This is not a federal issue. Every state has the right to legalize prostitution and impose any legal restriction on it they like. Only Nevada has done so.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:24 PM

32,211 posts, read 52,406,985 times
Quote:
I never said the majority of others should get counseling, only prostitutes.

... I, unlike most prostitutes, have respect for myself. It's about opening your heart more than your legs.

... You honestly think that a telephone job is more humiliating than having to do various sex acts on creepy johns? Go ahead, ask a few prostitutes about how "proud" they are of what they're doing.

.... I am just still in shock that you think a telemarketer is more shameful than a prostitute. And the next time an episode of Maury Povich comes on and some 13 yr. old says she wants to drop out of school and become a prostitute, I surely hope you won't tell her to go for it.
I think that perhaps you may need to spend more time in the real world.

I am not familiar with 'Maury Povich' or what she does.

I think perhaps you are too overly influenced by movies or TV.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 PM

7,474 posts, read 21,081,961 times
Quote:
do you think is it right to encourage teen girls to not go to college and just start hooking once they turn 18?
I don't think anyone encouraged their child not to attend college, for any career. Not everyone is college material, and those who aren't are desperately needed to fullfill other roles.
The world needs, auto techs, cooks, housekeeper, tradespeople of all types. We would be is sorry shape if everyone were doctors. All trades are neccessary.
That doesn't mean one should be encouraged to enter into that profession, but some will no matter how hard to try to discourage them. Why do you think it's called the "World's oldest proffession"?
Make it legal, make it safe..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies