U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,007,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That's a very naive statement.

Government gets involved, 'services' are taxed and prices rise....and here's a poor little girl not 'pretty enough' to be hired by the professionals and she gives discount rates. cg81 makes an excellent point.
So you are proposing that only a professiona agency is eligible to get a license, and private free-lancers are excluded? If not, I don't undersand your point.

You are also assuming that licensing and taxing would place more upward pressure on the price than the current pimps, who are taking a 90% commission.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,880,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So you are proposing that only a professiona agency is eligible to get a license, and private free-lancers are excluded? If not, I don't undersand your point.

You are also assuming that licensing and taxing would place more upward pressure on the price than the current pimps, who are taking a 90% commission.
And you know this to be fact, how?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM

661 posts, read 2,802,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
IT is so funny,talk to people on a individual level and more often they think certain drugs and prostitution and other vices should be legal.

To those who don't think prostitution should be legal or at least decriminalized,explain why?

Explain how 2 concenting adults having sex even for money effects your personal life and how using tax money and police and stings makes your life safer?
Prostitution is a moral question. As original poster mentioned most societies consider it illegal because it is immoral. Having sex without being married to someone is immoral. Doing out of marriage for money even makes it more immoral.

Now, that said banning prostitution does NOT make mine or any who poses it safer. Truth of the matter is people want others to follow their moral views. Alot people don't follow these moral views but those who want to enforce their view are more happy to have tax money/police used to enforce them! The majority the rules, if you run a national vote I have a feeling the majority will vote for keeping prostitution banned.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:00 PM

32,217 posts, read 52,424,601 times
Making laws and therefore 'crimes' from victim-less activities, is what government does.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,007,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
And you know this to be fact, how?

And you think you're confused? I asked the poster if I had interpreted the post correctly, and you wnt to know . . what?

Old 09-12-2008, 03:14 PM

32,217 posts, read 52,424,601 times
I have operated various businesses. In most cases licensing was a small fee once a year. A retail license is cheap for example.

Taxes on the other hand commonly are paid from profits, so it is all in the book-keeping methods.

I am on a committee that manages a private club, and in that case we see licensing that is thousands of dollars each month.

So unless government gets into it and purposefully sets the licensing fee at $10,000 per quarter, ....

Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,282,706 times
What happens between two consenting adults is no ones business but their own.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 21,086,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Yea right there is a good reason why there is laws against prostitutution and drugs etc.
Care to expound on what these Good reasons" are..? I didn't think you could come up with any....

Old 09-12-2008, 03:32 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,703,252 times
No.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:36 PM

7,474 posts, read 21,086,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Legalizing it doesn't solve the problem of the girls who are too young, addicted and HIV positive.. they will still be involved in illegal prostitution..
There would be no market for an illegal prostitute. It's called competition. No one is going to build their own car if they can buy one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies