Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:49 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,300 times

Advertisements

It should be legalized and decriminalized. We are talking a person’s body and sexuality something NO Government should have any form of control over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
To exchange physical sex for money and security; is a common view of marriage.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 AM

33,528 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
This made me laugh. Are you a senior that doesn't carry cash?
Yup....I especially like their two for one specials!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
I've actually given this a lot of thought through the years. Even though I am a conservative Christian, I certainly don't expect everyone out there to embrace my personal morals and live by them. I used to live near a Navy base and quite frankly...the local prostitutes were a great service to the community. Several hundred (or even thousands) of sailors just coming off of cruise or on a visiting ship need some willing females.

The downside is many of these girls are young, addicted and HIV positive....as stated by another poster.

So, is it a mutually beneficial situation or are these young women being exploited regardless? I'm not sure there is a clear answer other than regulating it...such as the ranches have done in Nevada. At least they would be safer, getting regular medical help and no pimp would be beating them up in the alley.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
The downside is many of these girls are young, addicted and HIV positive....as stated by another poster.

So, is it a mutually beneficial situation or are these young women being exploited regardless? I'm not sure there is a clear answer other than regulating it...such as the ranches have done in Nevada. At least they would be safer, getting regular medical help and no pimp would be beating them up in the alley.
Legalizing it doesn't solve the problem of the girls who are too young, addicted and HIV positive.. they will still be involved in illegal prostitution.

What got them to prostitution in the first place? I don't think they woke up one day and said "I want to be a prostitute"... and so, legalized prostitution would do nothing to address this problem. But arresting an addicted prostitute, giving her a night in jail and returning her to the street doesn't do much for the problem either.

Sort of like gun registry laws.. law-abiding citizens register their guns, but the criminals won't anyway.

Last edited by cg81; 09-12-2008 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-12-2008, 11:57 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
Moved from Religion and Philosophy

Old 09-12-2008, 12:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Legalizing it doesn't solve the problem of the girls who are too young, addicted and HIV positive.. they will still be involved in illegal prostitution.

What got them to prostitution in the first place? I don't think they woke up one day and said "I want to be a prostitute"... and so, legalized prostitution would do nothing to address this problem. But arresting an addicted prostitute, giving her a night in jail and returning her to the street doesn't do much for the problem either.

Sort of like gun registry laws.. law-abiding citizens register their guns, but the criminals won't anyway.

I think you have a lot of misconceptions about prostitution. First of all, legalizing it tomorrow would not have the objective of solving the problems of girls who are addicted and HIV positive today. The purpose is to create an envornment in which prostitues would not NEED to live and work in an environment where those risks are pre-requisites.

What got girls into prostitution in the first place? The same things that gets people into medicine or law or accounting in the first place. Earning a living with skills and talents they have. A large majority of all the prostitutes working today in Melbourne, Australia, are working their way through college, and won't stay all night because they have an exam tomorrow.

Paragraph 3. What would be the atrraction of a "criminal" becoming an "unregistered" prostitute, if the marketplace has plenty of safe, legal ones to patronize? She would be out of business for lack of work, and would have to go to law school.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Paragraph 3. What would be the atrraction of a "criminal" becoming an "unregistered" prostitute, if the marketplace has plenty of safe, legal ones to patronize? She would be out of business for lack of work, and would have to go to law school.
That's a very naive statement.

Government gets involved, 'services' are taxed and prices rise....and here's a poor little girl not 'pretty enough' to be hired by the professionals and she gives discount rates. cg81 makes an excellent point.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 09-12-2008 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 12:47 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times
IT is so funny,talk to people on a individual level and more often they think certain drugs and prostitution and other vices should be legal.

To those who don't think prostitution should be legal or at least decriminalized,explain why?

Explain how 2 concenting adults having sex even for money effects your personal life and how using tax money and police and stings makes your life safer?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times
it should be legalized today. I can't believe this is not an issue in washington. what a joke. you can give it away for free, but you can't sell it? where's the rationale in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies