Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

Prostitution has existed for as long as civilization has existed and probably existed before that. It's always been seen as an important ethical and moral question and the overwhelming majority of societies have outlawed it.
I do think that prostitution should be legalized and I think I have some pretty good reasons for taking that point of view. First of all, consider the life of a prostitute in America or most any other nation, it's a life of misery and danger. Also look at the numbers of prostitutes who have been the victims of murder (remember the Green River Killer?). By the very nature of their business they're putting themselves into risky situations by getting into a car with a total stranger or whatever the situation might be. If prostitution was legalized it could also be regulated by the government, the safety of the women would be greatly improved because they wouldn't have to just walk the streets, they could work in an establishment for that purpose like the ones they have in Nevada. Health and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases could also come under strict guidelines which would include frequent testing for STD's and the use of condoms could be made mandatory. They could also be taxed like any other business.
The main point I'm trying to make is that prostitution is going to occur whether it's legal or not so the question I think we should be asking ourselves is which situation is better, women roaming the streets and putting their lives at risk or recognizing the fact that we as a society could greatly improve the quality of life of prostitutes by removing the criminal element in it?
I happened to watch a documentary about one of those places in Nevada a couple of years ago and they interviewed a number of women who do this for a living. These women were making really good money and enjoying this very unusual lifestyle. Not every woman wants to be a homemaker or live a traditional way of life. I really don't think that's such a bad thing.
Well, I know this one's going to get the tongues wagging on City Data so go ahead and let me have it! What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
I think it should be. Nevada has been having great luck with it. But I think it related to prohibiting something that is in demand. You can make something illegal, but you can't change what someone wants unless we are to tamper with their free will

But really. nothing inspired a can-do attitude like telling someone they can't do it.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
It already is in Holland, to combat human smuggling.
And in Holland the prostitutes are protected by law (they pay taxes like everyone else) so criminals do not have a hold on them anymore.

The pimp has been taken out of the equation.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:57 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Absolutely. From the little I saw of the Dutch model while living there, it seemed to work very well.

Make it legal, require health care and regular check ups. More places like the Bunny Ranch in Nevada, and less sleezy corner hookers.
More tax dollars coming in from business. Everyone wins.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Oh Montana you really do come up with some doozies Should Prostitution Be Legalized? I think you know my answer is no.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:59 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Prostitution has existed for as long as civilization has existed and probably existed before that. It's always been seen as an important ethical and moral question and the overwhelming majority of societies have outlawed it.
I do think that prostitution should be legalized and I think I have some pretty good reasons for taking that point of view. First of all, consider the life of a prostitute in America or most any other nation, it's a life of misery and danger. Also look at the numbers of prostitutes who have been the victims of murder (remember the Green River Killer?). By the very nature of their business they're putting themselves into risky situations by getting into a car with a total stranger or whatever the situation might be. If prostitution was legalized it could also be regulated by the government, the safety of the women would be greatly improved because they wouldn't have to just walk the streets, they could work in an establishment for that purpose like the ones they have in Nevada. Health and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases could also come under strict guidelines which would include frequent testing for STD's and the use of condoms could be made mandatory. They could also be taxed like any other business.
The main point I'm trying to make is that prostitution is going to occur whether it's legal or not so the question I think we should be asking ourselves is which situation is better, women roaming the streets and putting their lives at risk or recognizing the fact that we as a society could greatly improve the quality of life of prostitutes by removing the criminal element in it?
I happened to watch a documentary about one of those places in Nevada a couple of years ago and they interviewed a number of women who do this for a living. These women were making really good money and enjoying this very unusual lifestyle. Not every woman wants to be a homemaker or live a traditional way of life. I really don't think that's such a bad thing.
Well, I know this one's going to get the tongues wagging on City Data so go ahead and let me have it! What is your opinion?
You really do need to consider moving farther north...

Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,860 times
Whats gonna stop dear ole dad from his daughters, when money gets tight, or an older bully brother?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
Whats gonna stop dear ole dad from his daughters, when money gets tight, or an older bully brother?
What stops him now?
I don't see what your post has to do with the subject.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
It should be legal. If it were taxed then it would give the government much more money. Also, prostitution is a relatively harmless crime which only affects the people that engage in it. Also it's the woman's choice if she sells her body for sex, just like abortion is a choice, the government shouldn't interfere.Also, criminalizing prostitution, doesn't stop prostitution, it just means people will go in the back alley and do it. Legalizing regulatory prostitution would make it safer since the people who engaged in the activity would have to be of a legal age and would have to be checked for STD's.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Why don't we just legalize everything that is already illegal? Yea right there is a good reason why there is laws against prostitutution and drugs etc.

If there weren't clients called johns there wouldn't be prostitutes,so it is a two-way street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies