Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 03:55 PM

109 posts, read 285,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The problem with no smoking sections is that the smoke wasn't smart enough to stay in the smoking sections.
Actually the new ventilations systems they have today havent even been given a chance to try and satsify the problem for any side.........but then air systems dont sale nicoderm........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:55 PM

248 posts, read 794,243 times
i DO think that there wasnt enough thought put into the smoking/nonsmoking sections. what about enclosed rooms with ventilation fans? it seems more could have been done to make everyone happy with regards to seperation rather then banning it altogether.

i mean the best people could come up with was - one side of a room vs another??? obviously that isnt going to cut it.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:12 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,757,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You may not have been giving them lung cancer on the spot, but who says you weren't harming them? If they found your smoke irritating to breathe, that is a harm--a small harm when compared to getting cancer, but a harm nonetheless.

Again, it really seems to me smokers are sometimes overlooking the basic fact that their smoke is entering other people's bodies against their will, and they don't like it. Even holding health consequences aside, you just don't have a right to bother other people like that, whereas they have every right to tell you they don't like it.
So are you advocating that it's acceptable for me to hand the guy in front of me in the checkout line a bar of soap, and tell him to use it? Or, can i tell the woman in front of me that perfume isn't a substitute for soap and water? They smell awful and i kind of have a sensitive stomach at times. Should i just lose my cookies all over them to teach them a lesson?

Is it acceptable for me tell the thunder thighs in front of me at Popeyes chicken, that she doesn't need any greasy fried chicken?

Acceptable to invade someone's space and call them a murderer, because you(generic you) don't believe in abortion?

No matter what side of the fence you straddle on this subject, the product is legal for consumption. Whenever we discuss something that is legal, we should attempt to do so maturely and without hysterics.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 PM

7 posts, read 8,882 times
1AngryTaxpayer wrote: "The problem with no smoking sections is that the smoke wasn't smart enough to stay in the smoking sections"

Yes, and your Legislature wasn't smart enough to realize that if they imposed a requirement for ventilation systems that would have cleared the air for everyone, they wouldn't have EXCOMMUNICATED 20% - 25% of the ADULT, Taxpaying, population to social, and literal, Siberia!

But they weren't really thinking about that, because the anti tobacco cartel kept telling them that if they "sign on" the MSA, and start "sin taxing" smokers - legislators would get to SPLIT all that "found cash" with the Lobby! You watch! Next for Pennsylvania will be a hefty added State Tax on cigarettes. It happened in New Hampshire. They passed their ban last August (so much for "live free or die"), and last month imposed an extra quarter a pack. (THIS from a State that doesn't even have an income tax!)

It's a dirty, dirty business - even dirtier than the stink of cigarettes.

In fact, Dr. Michael Siegel of Boston, a long time anti-tobacco scientist, is now chastising his own lobby as being "out of control" - for their specious propaganda, and their current campaigns against sales and outdoor use. Siegel even found that the former Surgeon General, Richard Carmona, LIED when he said that "even a brief exposure" to SHS can cause heart disease - - because that claim was NOT FOUND in the actual RESEARCH in the 2006 REPORT (June, 2006 SG's Report on Smoking and Health); Carmona simply wrote it into his FOREWARD to the report! (which is not peer reviewed by LAW!) But the press, and all the "anti" press-release writers, spread Carmona's words far and wide ... causing us to become a nation of "chicken littles" when it comes to smokers!

Divide and conquer. That's their tactic, my fellow citizens. And you should be asking, "who will be next?"

Last edited by MsProgressive; 09-17-2008 at 05:15 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 05:09 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,304,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOWOPMARINE View Post
I am a smoker for about 57 years,already outliving a lot of my non smoking friends. So much for the smoking kills and 2nd hand smoke retoric! When is the last time you saw 2nd smoke on a death cerficate? I think my point
is it that it"s a lifestyle choice, that has been taken away. I don't look at
it as losing because it is what it is! The only way I can get even is not to
patronise bars or restaurants any more. Think of all the money I will save by eating and drinking at home, so I win and the businesses lose! This is how I will deal with it and in time they will all show a loss of revenue, which is a proven pattern in other states.
Just curious. You still at home????

Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,304,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Most states already had a smoking ban, PA finally caught up to the rest of the US. Somehow these businesses in other states managed to survive with the smoking ban. Congrats for outliving your non-smoking friends, maybe your second-hand smoke killed them. I watched my grandfather die a slow, agonizing death from lung cancer in his 60's, but I'm sure you know more than all the doctors that tried to save his life by getting him to quit smoking years before.

Hey by the way, check your calendar. It's 2008, not 1974. Go smoke outside where cigarette smoking belongs and let others finally be able to enjoy a nice dinner without smelling your toxins.
http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)In the U.S., about 50,000 people die each year from secondhand smoke-related diseases.

http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)Sodium hydroxide is a caustic compound found in hair removal products. It’s also found in cigarettes.

http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)Tobacco companies’ products kill 36,000 people every month. That’s more lives thrown away than there are public garbage cans in NYC.

http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)Human sweat contains urea and ammonia. So do cigarettes.

http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)In 1988, one tobacco company brainstormed the idea of a colored cigarette to " enhance wardrobe. "

http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)One tobacco company supplied their product to be used in the G-rated film, The Muppet Movie.

http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)Around the 1980s, tobacco companies labeled African Americans - less educated, prefer malt liquor, have problems with their own self-esteem.

http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)In 1996, the tobacco industry said that drinking one to two glasses of whole milk a day was riskier than second-hand smoke.

http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)In 1997, a tobacco CEO said that if it was proven to his satisfaction that cigarettes cause cancer, he’d probably shut (the company) down immediately to get a better hold on things. Their website now admits that cigarettes cause cancer, but they’re still open for business.

http://www.thetruth.com/images/general/spacer.gif (broken link)In 1971, when one tobacco executive was reminded that smoking can lead to underweight babies, he said, " some women would prefer smaller babies. "

TO ANYONE WHO THINKS SECONDHAND SMOKE DOES NOT KILL - PLEASE SEE THIS. THE TRUTH

Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,759,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProgressive View Post
(Hey, maybe YOU are the "tobacco troll" on this site? )
But wouldn't I be the ANTI-Tobacco troll?

Old 09-17-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
In the U.S., about 50,000 people die each year from secondhand smoke-related diseases.

Sodium hydroxide is a caustic compound found in hair removal products. It’s also found in cigarettes.

Tobacco companies’ products kill 36,000 people every month. That’s more lives thrown away than there are public garbage cans in NYC.

Human sweat contains urea and ammonia. So do cigarettes.

In 1988, one tobacco company brainstormed the idea of a colored cigarette to " enhance wardrobe. "

One tobacco company supplied their product to be used in the G-rated film, The Muppet Movie.

Around the 1980s, tobacco companies labeled African Americans - less educated, prefer malt liquor, have problems with their own self-esteem.

In 1996, the tobacco industry said that drinking one to two glasses of whole milk a day was riskier than second-hand smoke.

In 1997, a tobacco CEO said that if it was proven to his satisfaction that cigarettes cause cancer, he’d probably shut (the company) down immediately to get a better hold on things. Their website now admits that cigarettes cause cancer, but they’re still open for business.

In 1971, when one tobacco executive was reminded that smoking can lead to underweight babies, he said, " some women would prefer smaller babies. "

TO ANYONE WHO THINKS SECONDHAND SMOKE DOES NOT KILL - PLEASE SEE THIS. THE TRUTH
you are definatly a tobacco control employee..........same crap .........evil tobacco companies.............you are soon to be out of a job as more states cut off tax dollars to smoke free groups.........ohio lmao

and your intro vote obamma matches my earlier prediction...............obamma is national smoking bans.........
[SIZE=5]londonbarcelona[/SIZE]

Vote Obama, or live the consequences

In the U.S., about 50,000 people die each year from secondhand smoke-related diseases.

this is a lie, the surgeon general had to publicly admit all SHS related deaths they claimed on their report were ALL computer generated numbers....no one has ever died from shs.

Tobacco companies’ products kill 36,000 people every month. That’s more lives thrown away than there are public garbage cans in NYC............... no death certificate has ever stated cuase of death as smoking

One tobacco company supplied their product to be used in the G-rated film, The Muppet Movie...........whannn only a radical would care..............

Around the 1980s, tobacco companies labeled African Americans - less educated, prefer malt liquor, have problems with their own self-esteem.......why, blacks are some of their best customers especially mentholated smokes

In 1996, the tobacco industry said that drinking one to two glasses of whole milk a day was riskier than second-hand smoke. this is definatly true..............
Scientific Evidence Shows Secondhand Smoke Is No Danger

Written By: Jerome Arnett, Jr., M.D.
Published In: Environment & Climate News
Publication Date: July 1, 2008
Publisher:
The Heartland Institute
http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=23399

In 1997, a tobacco CEO said that if it was proven to his satisfaction that cigarettes cause cancer, he’d probably shut (the company) down immediately to get a better hold on things. Their website now admits that cigarettes cause cancer, but they’re still open for business..a lie.....never proven

In 1971, when one tobacco executive was reminded that smoking can lead to underweight babies, he said, " some women would prefer smaller babies.........I know to many women who smoke and while pregnant and after around their kids their whole lives with a cig around...............no harm at all...........my own kids included,my brothers ,my neighbors jesus back frigging generations..............these people are nutz

Last edited by harleyrider1978; 09-17-2008 at 05:38 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 PM

89 posts, read 205,672 times
Whew! Just got back from the grocery store -- I had to pick up some Kleenex for all the smokers crying and moaning about how UNFAIR it is that they can't asphyxiate us nonsmokers anymore in restaurants...that their RIGHTS are being taken away... that they pay lots of TAXES, dammit, and that gives them the right to smoke wherever they please....waaa, waaaa, waaa.

Just one piece of advice to the smokers out there: be sure to wear a coat and hat when heading outside this winter for your cigarette fix. Those brutally sharp winter winds seem to cut right through you -- you might not even be able to keep your cigarette lit.

I'll be nice and warm inside.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzpdq View Post
Whew! Just got back from the grocery store -- I had to pick up some Kleenex for all the smokers crying and moaning about how UNFAIR it is that they can't asphyxiate us nonsmokers anymore in restaurants...that their RIGHTS are being taken away... that they pay lots of TAXES, dammit, and that gives them the right to smoke wherever they please....waaa, waaaa, waaa.

Just one piece of advice to the smokers out there: be sure to wear a coat and hat when heading outside this winter for your cigarette fix. Those brutally sharp winter winds seem to cut right through you -- you might not even be able to keep your cigarette lit.

I'll be nice and warm inside.
its nice that you feel our pain.................but please please save a few tissues for yourself...........as 1919-1933 went so will todays bans.....human nature doesnt change, just the dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies