Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:32 PM

137 posts, read 354,068 times

Advertisements

I quit smoking 8 years ago but enjoy sitting with the smokers. They always seem to be the life of the party!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 05:02 PM

14 posts, read 51,514 times
i just break the law and smoke wherever I please, if people can deal with this country they can deal with my smoke

Old 09-13-2008, 06:21 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree to a point. In this situation, I would say it's a public health issue, not a majority/minority issue.
I wholeheartedly agree with you and all states should pass this. We've evolved to a more health conscious society and unhealthy things are less tolerated. I should add that in my late teens-early 20's, I was a smoker, something I'm not proud of but I guess I started as I saw it as the sophisticated thing to do, and something as an act of rebellion.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:29 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with you and all states should pass this. We've evolved to a more health conscious society and unhealthy things are less tolerated. I should add that in my late teens-early 20's, I was a smoker, something I'm not proud of but I guess I started as I saw it as the sophisticated thing to do, and something as an act of rebellion.
You're kidding, right, as far as why you started smoking?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:42 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
You're kidding, right, as far as why you started smoking?
I really don't know why I started, but most likely it was peer pressure. At that time in the 60's it was considered "cool." More of my friends at the time were smokers than non smokers. It wasn't my parents, as they were pretty anti-smoking. I knew even then that it wasn't healthy, but I was more concerned about the here and now then, not the long term effects of the habit.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Gotcha, thanks for explaining

Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOWOPMARINE View Post
I agree with you, hence the real fair solution is to have smokers only bars and restaurants. Unless you think smokers don't have a right to that!
Then I am not sure why you have a problem with this law. Among other things, it exempts cigar bars and private clubs whose officers agree to allow smoking. So smokers are in fact allowed to set up their own exclusive places to drink, eat, and smoke at the same time.

Incidentally, it also exempts bars with at least 80 percent of sales in liquor as opposed to food, and bars of restaurants with separate entrances that are separately ventilated.

Last edited by BrianTH; 09-13-2008 at 08:42 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 PM

31 posts, read 79,045 times
Default Doowopmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Then I am not sure why you have a problem with this law. Among other things, it exempts cigar bars and private clubs whose officers agree to allow smoking. So smokers are in fact allowed to set up their own exclusive places to drink, eat, and smoke at the same time.

Incidentally, it also exempts bars with 80 percent of sales in liquor as opposed to food, and bars of restaurants with separate entrances that are separately ventilated.
I don't smoke cigars and private clubs there are not that many available.
I think the 80% of liquor sales is only in Allegheny County. I give credit
to Dan Onarato for that, because he had some compassion for the mom
and pop bars knowing they would be forced out of business. I don't
know of the restaurant bars with seperate entrances, I don't understand
the meaning of it. Haven't you heard of the politicions wanting to change
them provisions already? The bigger restaurants with bars are also un-
happy with them.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:17 PM

I went out this evening, to a couple different places, and I've already noticed a huge difference. Restaurants with bars, that I know for a fact are usually packed on the weekends, were virtually empty. And the bars that serve some food were packed. Places are going to go out of business. They have in Ohio, they will in PA.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:21 PM

31 posts, read 79,045 times
Default Doowopmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's called the majority. You can't drink and drive but the other 200 million can drive safely knowing noone is drunk on the road.
The MAJORITY of us can now eat in a restaurant without sitting next to someone chain smoking making us nauseas. The majority win over the minority and that is how it should be.
It's only a true majority if everyone votes it on a referendum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies