Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:07 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,865,919 times

Advertisements

question is in the title of the thread. what would the united states look like if there was never slavery? slaves helped build the nation, but a war fought over slavery destroyed parts of it. I can tell you one thing, I bet it would look very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:29 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,920,702 times
If that was the case, the U.S. would probably be comparable to countries such as Canada, Australia, and South Korea. It would definitely as, if not slightly more industrious. The standard of living would be at the least as good as in recent decades, if not better. But one of the most notable changes would be that African immigrants (which would constitute most of the "African American" population) would be in the same boat and social position as Asians and South Indians, not having to deal with the historical aftermaths of slavery, treatment of blacks, and stigmas that have former throughout the years. And finally, it would be easier for me to have a love life with women outside of my race; not just in Cali and other western states and cities, but even in the Dixie and Yankee areas

Old 09-12-2008, 10:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
Like Canada.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:58 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,942,334 times
That would be one heck of a Butterfly Effect! What inventions, philsophies, styles were directly or indirectly influenced from slaves or former slaves or as the result of slavery, etc. The entire world would most likely be quite different.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,721,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Like Canada.
You're not suggesting that there was no slavery in Canada, are you?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:03 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,812,082 times
Well, there would be fewer black people if any.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM

594 posts, read 1,045,187 times
An episode of "Dynasty."

Old 09-12-2008, 11:44 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,725,665 times
Alot of black people would be way worse off, they would probably be infected with aids somewhere in Africa.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:46 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,684,497 times
Exclamation JMarquise, Hats Off To You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
question is in the title of the thread. what would the united states look like if there was never slavery? slaves helped build the nation, but a war fought over slavery destroyed parts of it. I can tell you one thing, I bet it would look very different.
First off, a few 'props'...J, you're one of my favorite CD posters...I enjoy reading your posts, whether I am in total agreement with you, or I say 'WTF was he/she THINKING??!!!', because you ask sane and intelligent questions that beg sane, intelligent answers...

Like this one...as a black man, I've often wondered what life would have been like for my 'ancestors' had there not been slavery, or a Civil War with slavery as one of the root causes...would some enterprising person have taken it upon themselves to leave the continent and explore beyond its' borders, in search of a new life for himself and others?

And what of the many inventions that black folk were responsible for? Would any of those ever have come to fruition had blacks NOT been enslaved? And I totally agree with whomever posted that there would not be all of the historic backlash and conditions (i.e. 'white guilt', 'reparations', etc)...

And JNestorr is right in his/her own way---there most certainly would be fewer of us...but how would that affect future generations---and indeed, what kind of America would we be living in now, based on that particular alternate history?

PS---speaking of 'alternate history', any of my fellow posters who are readers and history buffs should check out the works of one Harry Turtledove...he's written several 'alternate timeline' looks at recent history, and one of his most recent (which just wrapped up, BTW) is a look into his take on what would have happened if the Confederacy had NOT lost the Civil War...no matter which 'side' you were/are on, it's an utterly fascinanting read, and asks (like JMarquise did) a lot of sane and intelligent questions

Old 09-12-2008, 12:03 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,883,864 times
If there was no slavery then 99% of the black population would be in Africa and living in crappy hovels... whereas the rest of the world would be just as where they are now except for the lack of the U.S. Civil War, less affirmative action, etc. etc. associated with the results of the slave trade... There would still be racism, perhaps at a greater level than it is today. Most Americans would be white and the Hispanics would be the "new" blacks in America since there would be practically no black people in America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies