Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should the US start cutting countries off?
yes 22 73.33%
no 6 20.00%
maybe/not sure 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Step away from the crack pipe!! LOL

We get 25% of our oil from them. The money they make from us is much more important in their overall GDP than the loss would be to us.

Where we would get it from is a good and valid question I have no answer to. Although they sell oil to Iran, China, and Russia, it's at a substantially reduced rate, since they are also getting bargain priced military equipment from them. But that military equipment won't equate to what they need on the global market, or to put food into their country's population.

There's no doubt that it would hurt Americans, but make no mistake.. they would hurt more... much, much, more!
The fact remains oil is the hottest global commidity right now or perhaps the next 10-15 yrs. This idea that Venizuela would suffer if the United States did not import their oil (25%) is just absurd, very absurd. It's almost like saying that they will have no place to sell their oil if we don't buy it. Besides the oil business, the last thing the US needs is for Venizuela to form strong ties with Russia and China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:06 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
The fact remains oil is the hottest global commidity right now or perhaps the next 10-15 yrs. This idea that Venizuela would suffer if the United States did not import their oil (25%) is just absurd, very absurd. It's almost like saying that they will have no place to sell their oil if we don't buy it. Besides the oil business, the last thing the US needs is for Venizuela to form strong ties with Russia and China.
In case you hadn't noticed... already happening. You still haven't proven anything beside weak hyperbole.

25% of OUR oil (not theirs) is HUGE considering the price we're paying for it. I'll reiterate (since you probably didn't read it) that Russia and China are paying reduced prices. We are not. So, they won't compensate for the oil prices we are paying.

Additionally, Russia produces it's own oil.. why buy theirs? China, sure they'll increase... but not at the rate we use it.

Oh well... I'm talking to the wall anyway.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:13 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. Anything that doesn't appear to be democratic as in "democracy" is a threat to US domestic and foreign policy.
What I am saying is that we need to change our views and approach. We need to focus within on our own problems and deal with the world asone business might dealwith another.
If I am in the ATV sales business do I really need to concern myself with who Honda buys its aluminum from? Do I really need to be focused on who honda uses as its supplier? No I need to be concerned with is it a quality product. Thats all.
We boycott based on ideology and what we view is anti-american practices. How another country manages its internal affairs is none of our business and we should not be dictating terms.
Now if said country is supporting radicals who attack US citizens or interests then we should take our business else where. Its that simple.
This idea that we owe the world assistance every time someone has a crisis is insane. We have our own problems that have been neglected far to long.
Once again focus within first. Fix our own problems first. Isn't that what the rest of the world is doing?

Old 09-12-2008, 01:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Although this sounds reasonable, unfortunately, it will work only if both partners in an exchange agree to mind their own business. Minding one's own business unilaterally will not guarantee that the other side will not try using economic pressure to dictate your internal affairs. A few months ago, the European Union proposed a model law which would make it easier to deport illegal aliens. Hugo Chavez immediately issued a threat that any country that implemented such a law could forget about Venezuelan oil.
And if 75% of the enacted such laws would chavez be able to follow through on his threat?

Old 09-12-2008, 01:36 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
In case you hadn't noticed... already happening. You still haven't proven anything beside weak hyperbole.

25% of OUR oil (not theirs) is HUGE considering the price we're paying for it. I'll reiterate (since you probably didn't read it) that Russia and China are paying reduced prices. We are not. So, they won't compensate for the oil prices we are paying.

Additionally, Russia produces it's own oil.. why buy theirs? China, sure they'll increase... but not at the rate we use it.

Oh well... I'm talking to the wall anyway.
Ughhhh, okay, lets look at it this way. Who has got more to lose here - The United States boycotting oil from Venizuela or Venizuela announcing a new bidding process for its oil from any other countries/corporations besides US.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Quote:
Ughhhh, okay, lets look at it this way. Who has got more to lose here - The United States boycotting oil from Venizuela or Venizuela announcing a new bidding process for its oil from any other countries/corporations besides US.
Venezuela. Let's face it. If they try to cut off the oil... we give them more than money for oil. We cut off all our aid... they're done. It's all tied together. You have to realize there's more at stake than oil and oil-related money.

We're not likely to say "sure.. keep your oil.. but here... keep the other things. And we'll continue to buy everything else from you."

In 2007, according to the US Census Bureau on Foreign Trade Statistics states that we had a $1.7B deficit. Don't think that we would continue to do those trades with them also.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:07 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
should we start cutting countries off? the reason I ask, is because I just read how hugo chavez is kicking the US ambassador out of the country. without our money for his oil, chavez and venezuela would have nothing. I would seriously ride a bike everywhere just to cut these a-holes off. let their country burn in poverty. let someone else buy their oil.
------------
Chavez just had many arrested in the gvmt. There was a plan to take him out ,a coup.

I think he doesn't want the world to know thus has kicked out a few ambassadors or going to kick them out.

He is a flake and for the most part is alone and hated in most of Latin America but he has money ,oil money and we need oil.

If we cut him off we lose . As "our" oil companies fleece us as much as possible with patriots like that who need's enemies.
During 2 wars and some difficult economic times no one fleece's us as much as our own oil companies.

Chavez doesn't need us he will sell oil to Asia,Europe,etc.
We shouldn't limit our supply or give our internal parasites a reason to charge even more.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies