Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 AM

1,247 posts, read 928,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
What we all have to recognize is that there is a culture forming in Florida (and California) that has never existed anywhere else on Earth, at any given point in history. I posit that we are witnessing the formation of the Union's most unpredictable outcome of globalization.

Cleveland is a view to America's past, and Florida/California it's future.
I agree with you on this point. Baby boomers are retiring and the US is aging. We have more old people than every before. Younger generations are not having as many children. Population is imbalanced. Once the baby boomers pass on, hopefully things will get back to normal.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:42 AM

177 posts, read 685,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I agree with you on this point. Baby boomers are retiring and the US is aging. We have more old people than every before. Younger generations are not having as many children. Population is imbalanced. Once the baby boomers pass on, hopefully things will get back to normal.
I don't think the demise of baby boomers is going to occur anytime soon. They are retiring at the age 55-65 and most of them will probably live into their 80s at least. I would guess that you will have to wait 25 years or so for them to pass on.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,284,178 times
Gosh, Watson, I sure hope so! LOL

Old 02-05-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
I don't think the demise of baby boomers is going to occur anytime soon. They are retiring at the age 55-65 and most of them will probably live into their 80s at least. I would guess that you will have to wait 25 years or so for them to pass on.
Each day they are fewer of them. So that's a plus. I just don't want the baby boomers causing any more problems for my children (their grandchildren). They've caused enough already.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Each day they are fewer of them. So that's a plus. I just don't want the baby boomers causing any more problems for my children (their grandchildren). They've caused enough already.
Fortunately, I am too old to be a baby boomer or you might be wishing me dead.
Seriously, what problems do you believe the baby boomers have caused? Just curious as to why you despise them so much.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM

Breeding a culture of financial irresponsibility. The fact that when they retire they will cause undue stress on the younger generations, economically. The fact the baby boomer generation has consumed so much of the world's resources, and given so little back. My generation, and those after mine, will be left to clean up their mess. That's assuming the damage isn't irreparable.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,117,899 times
Quote:
I'm a baby boomer. I would like specifics as to exactly what trouble I've caused your children. Don't generalize like in the past. Specifics. To generalize is simply telling the rest of us that you have a personal grudge on one or two people and you've decided to spew forth crap and say that it's all baby boomers. So what specifically did "I" do to your children?

Retiring? I'm 53. I think not.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 PM

It's certainly complicated. And I would not have gone off topic to this extent, if it were not requested by other posters.

From my perspective, everything baby boomers touch is defiled. They ruin everything.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,065,075 times
Quote:
It's certainly complicated. And I would not have gone off topic to this extent, if it were not requested by other posters.

From my perspective, everything baby boomers touch is defiled. They ruin everything.
Well honey I am sorry, but you're stuck with us a good while yet, and I don't think there is anywhere you can go to escape us.
But if you are blaming the current housing market on "investulators," as someone I know calls them, you can't blame it all on the Boomers. Plenty of 30-somethings came, bought, and slid on out of town when the excitement died down.
Some of them are stuck having lost money, as well.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Breeding a culture of financial irresponsibility. The fact that when they retire they will cause undue stress on the younger generations, economically. The fact the baby boomer generation has consumed so much of the world's resources, and given so little back. My generation, and those after mine, will be left to clean up their mess. That's assuming the damage isn't irreparable.
I don't really agree with you.
The whole country has consumed the world's resources but this is the country that discovered the uses for a lot of these resources. As for giving so little back, the advances in many areas in this country, such as in medicine, electronics, technology and many other areas that have made living better in this country, have happened under the watch of the baby boomers.
You have the right to your opinion and your dislike of baby boomers but I would guess that there are many who would disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies