Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should the blue states secede from the Union?
Yes! We both can't stand eachother and it's time we go our seperate ways 54 70.13%
No...for some reason we should stay together forever, even if we hate eachother 23 29.87%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Note as well that Alaska has an incident of rape 2.2 times higher that the national average. They'd fit right in with all the other states in Jesusland...excelling in rape, incest, domestic violence etc....you know, all that redneck fun.

Health and Social Services, State of Alaska (http://www.hss.state.ak.us/dph/ipems/injury_prevention/akfvpp/bkgnd.htm - broken link)
As compared to the inner cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Who would defend you in the blue states? You'd be easy pickings.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
no, righties want to force their religion down everyone's throat and give taxpayer wealth to their buddies and corporations.
I stand by what I said, aside from a few extreme states on both sides, I think most states have varying degrees of moderation. I also find that the further you get from local politics, the less reasonable people are on both sides (and really, life is to complex for just two points of view). I read somewhere that if there were as many representatives now per capita there'd be something like 10k which might explain why most stand for nothing except those who keep them in power.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,747 times
Politics is usually going with the lesser of two evils. I think Democrats are the lesser of the two evils so I always vote for the Democrats. Gore, Kerry and Obama are all a lot better than Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. were. I don't care what the neo-cons say about Obama he's 100 times better than arrogant Bush Jr.

If Sarah Palin gets elected we're really going to get scr**ed. She'll make national health care look like the best idea that was ever suggested.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Yes and take the debt you spent the last years. We can easily pay the debt before then.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:02 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Secession is foolish. Cooperation in defense of property rights is the reason for government.

All governments are evil, necessary evils, that are only tolerable when they restrict their activities to securing inalienable rights endowed by our Creator, and governing only those who consent. Anything more is suspect.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Secession is still treason and secessionist are traitors

Old 03-07-2010, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Anyone ever read a book called "The Nine Nations of North America" by Joel Garreau? In the book he divides the North American continent into nine regions , based on socio-economic and cultural similarities. For instance, our New England states would unite with the Canadian maritime provinces and be known as New England. Another region would be Quebec by itself. another woud be Dixie, which would include the southern states (Virginia and south) to about Fort Meyers, FL. The area south of that would be connected to the Carribean Islands, and be called "The Islands". Anyway, I find this to be a fascinating idea. Read the book!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 PM

257 posts, read 619,136 times
Honestly, if you asked most Americans today if they would go along with some kind of split like that, I bet that most would. The only thing that I would do differently with that map is to take the libertarian areas out to form a third country. US of C would get a narrow strip from Portland, Oregon down to Los Angeles. The Republic of Paine would get Alaska, Washington, eastern parts of CA and Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, and most of the rural west... basically, where the Bible Belt starts to run out.

The Founding Fathers intent was that each state would be sovereign, establishing its own policies, so there would be no need to secede. It was only after decades of federal expansion and crushing tariffs that southern states began talking openly about leaving the Union in the 1850's.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
What is a blue state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies