Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times

Advertisements

Also, don't forget that Karl Marx admired Lincoln and sent him a letter congradulating him on the Union's victory in the Civil War.

Would Karl Marx approve of George W Bush and send him glowing letters, I wonder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Lol why do you like them?

I don't find them bad people at all just way out of their league compared to other president's . America was/has been set back by both.
like the song i like him sung by sancho panza servant to don quixote.
i dont know why i just like him.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well I hated Bill Clintons blatent disregard for his soldiers, marines and sailors. Disragard? No disrespect. He had none for us who served and made no effort to hide it. He was not my kind president but I give him his due. The man could give a speech. I also must say he has lousy taste in women.
He had strengths. He found ways to work with both parties even though one was hostile towards him.
By the way Lincoln would be revolted by Gore. The man is a borderline lunatic.
Well, how about Bush's disregard for soldiers, marines, and sailors? He lied to go to war, then had those soldiers there ill-equipped to fight an ideology with guns. It's like trying to fight smoke with artillery and bullets. Absolute lunacy. The smoke remains while this country bleeds to death suffering from a strategy that doesn't even belong on Sesame Street. When the '04 election came around, he lied again about the progress of the war feigning as though we were winning. We were in fact getting our butts kicked because of a poor strategy. It was a complete disregard. So take a look in your backyard before talking. Conservatives and Republicans stink. Dubya has been described as "frighteningly ignorant" and is generally viewed as the worst president in history. The village idiot happens to be a Republican conservative. It's telling that McCain can do no better than support the continuation of these ineffective, ridiculous, and divisive policies.

Lincoln no doubt would be appalled be such a farcical, incompetent, bumpkin of an idiot and no doubt would have much more in common with another leader with substance, dignity, depth, integrity, and intelligence: Barack Obama.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Lincoln might have been one of the worst presidents in history. He had the good luck to be in the White House when America had its back to the wall and finally had to break down and free the slaves, dacades after every other W-Hemisphere country freed theirs---a no-brainer. And he failed to do the obvious and keep us out of a civil war when he did it. If he hadn't walked through the blizzard and returned that book tucked into the wall of the log cabin to keep the snow out, or if the railroad had had a whole dispenser of napkins and the Gettysburg address had gone on and on like it was Joe Biden, his reputation would be worse than Hoover's.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:20 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Well, how about Bush's disregard for soldiers, marines, and sailors? He lied to go to war,
How long with this lie be around?
For the LAST time, Bush did NOT "lie" to go to war.

Because if he did, then so did the entire international intelligence community AND the Senate and House intelligence committee.

It can't be both ways... either all of them "lied" or none of them did!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
.. This is why todays democrats are not the democrats that were once great.
who the racist era of southern conservative democrats lmao before majority of them they left the party, because the democrat party was changing.

President Reagan
i didnt leave the democrat party it left me"

guess he didnt like the progressiveness and change that occured which is what we have today a minority conservative branch within the party

Last edited by city414; 10-30-2008 at 08:24 PM..

Old 10-30-2008, 08:42 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Lincoln was pro-business, as he was a corporate attorney representing railroads for some number of years. He was a skilled politician in practice, and he was a hands-on administrator and was very involved in day-to-day decisions during the Civil War. He was not shy about increasing the reach of the Federal government, but in being "agnostic" early in his political career and Presidency regarding the existence and extension of slavery, he showed little conviction on key social issues and was not overtly religious.

Who would act similarly today? It would be a pro-business, moderate Republican who didn't have a particular social issues agenda. He would be willing to expand the power of the Federal government to serve the purpose of larger economic interests, as Lincoln did while conducting the Civil War.

Maybe in the neighborhood of a George Pataki, former governor of New York.

G.W. Bush is certainly pro-business, but he has also actively promoted an evangelical-friendly social agenda, such as with regard to abortion rights and limiting availability of abortion.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 855 times
You cannot compare Abe Lincoln to anyone. He oversaw a war like no other in our history. He oversaw the transition of an enslaved group to a free people. He was an brilliant orator. I could only find one person in my study of American History that had his abilities, Susan B. Anthony.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Barney Frank?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:58 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Lincoln ...no doubt would have much more in common with another leader with substance, dignity, depth, integrity, and intelligence: Barack Obama.
There may be more truth to the 'Obama is like Lincoln' comparison than you know, but not for the reasons you suggest...

Lincoln was also quite good at running up astronomical debt while pursuing his agenda. Sound familiar?

It's not very well known because people like to idolize Lincoln, but Lincoln's Illinois General Assembly 'logrolling' (vote trading - in this case, trading capital improvements projects votes for votes to move the Illinois capital to Springfield) left Illinois in over $40 million of debt in the 1840's. That was an obscene amount of money at the time.

Read Lincoln's Preparation for Greatness: The Illinois Legislative Years by Paul Simon (former IL U.S. Senator), where he explores records of Lincoln's activities in the state House of Representatives. Lincoln and eight other like-minded legislators known as 'the Long Nine' nearly bankrupted the state with their logrolled capital improvements projects to get what they wanted - Springfield as the new Illinois state capital. It took Illinois forty-five years of very hard times to pay off the debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies