Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 04:34 PM

54 posts, read 92,887 times

Advertisements

Excellent job by Obama!!

Obama Inspires Local Man to Volunteer for McCain

http://www.scrappleface.com

(2008-09-12) — Jeremy Kleckner, a junior at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa., said today that Sen. Barack Obama’s efforts to ignite a wave of young volunteers across the nation is succeeding beyond the Democrat presidential candidate’s wildest dreams.
“He hasn’t even touched the bully pulpit in the White House yet,” said Mr. Kleckner, “and already Obama’s got me excited about volunteering. I heard him talking last night about how we need to give back to our country and he just touched my heart. First thing this morning, I called the ]Lehigh County Republican committee and asked them how I could help get John McCain and Sarah Palin elected.”
Sen. Obama has made his ability to inspire national service a pillar of his plan to change America — a commitment that he reinforced during The 9/11 Presidential Forum last night at Columbia University http://www.bethechangeinc.org/servicenation/live.
Unfortunately, viewership of the interview was relatively low, since many Americans were away from their televisions, coaching little league soccer and football, leading scouting programs, attending PTA and church committee meetings, planning community clean up days, participating in a wide-variety of efforts to help people in the U.S. and abroad, or simply helping their children with homework.

Of course, most U.S. public high schools already have a forced-volunteerism program as a graduation requirement to teach young people the joy of altruism, but President Obama’s plan would go further, offering a powerful combination of soaring rhetoric, cash payments and free health insurance to induce people to selflessly sacrifice for their country.
During the Democrat National Convention, Sen. Obama set a powerful personal example by requiring six hours of volunteer service from people who wanted to attend his speech at Invesco Field. By giving their time to his campaign, thousands of people learned the value of tickets to a concert by Stevie Wonder, John Legend, Sheryl Crow and other musicians who warmed up the crowd for the Obama speech.
For his part, Mr. Kleckner said Sen. Obama had given him “a burning desire to be part of something bigger than myself.”
“Obama made me realize,” Mr. Kleckner said, “That I could give a few hours each week to help elect a man who risked his own life volunteering to serve in wartime "http://www.johnmccain.com/About/" and whose wife volunteered with medical missions in places like Darfur "http://www.johnmccain.com/about/Cindy.htm", along with a woman whose public service career started as a volunteer in an Alaskan PTA. "http://www.johnmccain.com/about/governorpalin.htm"
Sen. Obama has a history of inspiring others to volunteer dating back to his days as a paid community organizer in a Chicago housing project, where he earned up to $25,000 per year training local volunteers to demand government money for community projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 04:36 PM

23,691 posts, read 24,016,411 times
Why do you keep posting scrappleface articles?

Old 09-14-2008, 04:42 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,759,968 times
I don't understand why you think he was inspiring. I thought he was REALLY uninspiring. His long winded speeches are all too familiar. Did someone say John Kerry? O-BomB-A (if elected) will...

-Raise taxes to near European levels (50%)

-Open the border to even more illegals (and give them welfare too)

-Further expand social/welfare bureaucracy/big government

-Kill business by raising taxes (No, not all business is big business)

-Probably give reparations to every African American

-Put white anglo-saxon protestant males in cattle cars and send them to concentration camps...

Last edited by big mean bear; 09-14-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 04:57 PM

54 posts, read 92,887 times
Exclamation An explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why do you keep posting scrappleface articles?
Just a bit of an experiment to see if anyone actually understood what they were reading. Congrats on seeing through the haze!!

Continuing to attempt understanding of man(human?)kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies