Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times

Advertisements

I can understand calling them prejudiced, but racist? give me a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Uhm....OK. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 02:50 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I can understand calling them prejudiced, but racist? give me a break.
Ok, try this...a RACIAL statement might be, "His background is diverse. He may LOOK East Indian, but actually he has ancestors from all over. He's 1/8 Irish, 1/8 West African, 1/8 German, 1/4 Filipino, 1/4 Dutch,and 1/8 Native American"

On the OTHER hand, the SAME person might be sneered about in a RACIST statement, such as "The way he ACTS, I'd guess he normally has about a FIFTH of SCOTCH in his blood...at LEAST".....

Old 09-15-2008, 03:06 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,660,340 times
thats not racist. thats prejudiced. you have pre conceived notions about people. my definition of racism involves limiting peoples liberty or actions.
when you say something, or make generalizations, you are not really being a racist, but rather being prejudiced. and that can occur based on race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc.

more times than not people are making racially prejudiced comments. they are guilty of racial intolernace. or racial hatred. but racism is [unfortuantely]more proactive than mere words.

those comments about italians and blacks and mexicans are prejudiced. when you enact laws to prohibit the rights of these groups, then you are basing your racist actions on prejudiced beleifs. it moves from language into action.

at least thats the way i see it.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Ok, try this...a RACIAL statement might be, "His background is diverse. He may LOOK East Indian, but actually he has ancestors from all over. He's 1/8 Irish, 1/8 West African, 1/8 German, 1/4 Filipino, 1/4 Dutch,and 1/8 Native American"

On the OTHER hand, the SAME person might be sneered about in a RACIST statement, such as "The way he ACTS, I'd guess he normally has about a FIFTH of SCOTCH in his blood...at LEAST".....
that was a funny one. enjoyed it immensely.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 681 times
a racist statement is one that denigrates a memeber or members of a racial group but a racial statement is a fact about a particular race for example to state that blacks have more children than caucasians is a racial statement but to say blacks are stupid is a racist statement.

Last edited by msedange; 04-01-2011 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: typing error

Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
I see both on this forum almost every day. What's the difference, if both are put in the same context, which some people seem to do, and say things to hurt, or put a group or person down then they are both wrong. People make racial and racist comments about so many groups or nationality, but when they become really hurtful and hateful, is where i have a problem. Sometimes i see it being said just to be spiteful, and that is not right. Sometimes some are giving just an opinion and some will take this as a racial or racist statement.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
I rarely see things as racist and I am black. I do see a lot of stereotypes though that others may deem racists. Also, I do believe that if people believe stereotypes about other ethnicities and try to share those views as if they are educating others on facts, then they are racists.

For example, I received a survey from my son's school asking me how often I cooked fried chicken, what type of oil I cooked fried chicken with, and if I removed the skin before I fried chicken, and about two or three other questions specifically about fried chicken. I didn't think the survey was racist, I felt they were trying to gauge healthy/non-healthy eating habits, but I did put a short paragraph on the survey informing them that others may see that as racist and it was pretty stereotypical, especially considering I rarely make fried chicken.

Lets take the fried chicken stereotype that all black people like and eat fried chicken often. If someone keeps pertuating this stereotype even after they meet someone who is black and who does not like or eat fried chicken, then the comments that they make about this could be construed as racist.

I see on hear and on other boards that I frequent as well as IRL, people making stereotypical assumptions about black people all the time (such as we are all on welfare, get medicaid, are criminals, name our kids crazy ghetto names, black women are ******es and have attitude problems, black men are lazy, black people are the reason why crime in America is so high, black people are the majority of people who use government assistance programs....I could go on and on) When people say all these things and less I don't think they are racist. Mostly I think they are ignorant and some of the stuff they say is funny to me (my whole family got a good laugh about the fried chicken survey).

Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I rarely see things as racist and I am black. I do see a lot of stereotypes though that others may deem racists. Also, I do believe that if people believe stereotypes about other ethnicities and try to share those views as if they are educating others on facts, then they are racists.

For example, I received a survey from my son's school asking me how often I cooked fried chicken, what type of oil I cooked fried chicken with, and if I removed the skin before I fried chicken, and about two or three other questions specifically about fried chicken. I didn't think the survey was racist, I felt they were trying to gauge healthy/non-healthy eating habits, but I did put a short paragraph on the survey informing them that others may see that as racist and it was pretty stereotypical, especially considering I rarely make fried chicken.

Lets take the fried chicken stereotype that all black people like and eat fried chicken often. If someone keeps pertuating this stereotype even after they meet someone who is black and who does not like or eat fried chicken, then the comments that they make about this could be construed as racist.

I see on hear and on other boards that I frequent as well as IRL, people making stereotypical assumptions about black people all the time (such as we are all on welfare, get medicaid, are criminals, name our kids crazy ghetto names, black women are ******es and have attitude problems, black men are lazy, black people are the reason why crime in America is so high, black people are the majority of people who use government assistance programs....I could go on and on) When people say all these things and less I don't think they are racist. Mostly I think they are ignorant and some of the stuff they say is funny to me (my whole family got a good laugh about the fried chicken survey).

I love people as yourself, such a way to look at things. Hey now, I'm Italian, and make some dang good tasting FRIED CHICKEN!!!!! my own secret to making it.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msedange View Post
a racist statement is one that denigrates a memeber or members of a racial group but a racial statement is a fact about a particular race for example to state that blacks have more children than caucasians is a racial statement but to say blacks are stupid is a racist statement.
Once again I, Galileo Smith, is here to provide the correct analysis...

A racial statement has to do with an opinion or viewpoint that has to do with race. A noteworthy racial statement/viewpoint once came from Rush Limbaugh when he said that NcNabb was considered a good quarterback only because he, NcNabb, is black. If Limbaugh's motive was to say something negative about McNabb because he did not want to see a black quarterback succeed, then it would be a racist statement. But those close to Limbaugh stress that Limbaugh's statement was a criticism of the media, and how they deal with race, rather than a racist attack on McNabb himself.

A racist mentality and/or statement does not necessarily denote hate, and can in fact be fairly common amongst ordinary people. For example, the man who prefers specifically white women (or specifically black women) as a love interest has a racist mentality when it comes to women and romance.

The person who voted for Obama because Obama is black made a racist choice, just as the man who did not vote for Obama because Obama is black. In these cases race is the person's deciding factor. Going by strict word definitions, "bigotry" and "intolerance", when compared to "racism", are probably more serious social failings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies