Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose one.
Use trade sanctions, war, revolutions or political dirty tricks to block their development. 1 10.00%
Tighten our belt and pay the higher world prices. 0 0%
Keep hoping we can develop technology to save us 3 30.00%
Something else. 5 50.00%
The OP does not reflect the true global prospects. 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

As more and more countries develop strong economies, they will outbid us and force us to pay more for resources (oil, minerals, etc.) How should we meet this challenge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 05:31 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
why not stop giving money to other countries? we have what we need to be self sufficient here at home. I say screw it. be friends with countries and meet with them. provide equal trades. that is how we can compete, not by providing welfare to countries who hate us. man, we could probably cut most of the world off from the freaking internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As more and more countries develop strong economies, they will outbid us and force us to pay more for resources (oil, minerals, etc.) How should we meet this challenge?

Old 09-15-2008, 05:42 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
North America, first, and then south America to join later, will become one large sphere under a common government, with a common currency. This will allow the lesser developed areas, to benefit from the technology of the northern areas to explore, and exploit natural resources, as yet unavailable. The other by products will be a larger geographical area, and huge military for any would be attackers (example,china) to conquer. This would be called the "Prosperity and security partnership for the Americas". AKA, "Strategy 2016"/"Strategy 2018"

Last edited by Compression; 09-15-2008 at 05:58 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 05:43 PM

881 posts, read 1,589,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
We need to be able to compete. I think dealing with US-China trade is step 1. We cannot import everything from China, and have China buy nothing from us. That is dumb and not-doable, that is a no-brainer.

We also need to invest in technological innovations, restrict mass immigration, and keep money inside the USA. That means stop sending money overseas to "help feed people", which we all know gets stolen by dictators who arm guerrillas to kill the people we were trying to feed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
why not stop giving money to other countries? we have what we need to be self sufficient here at home. I say screw it. be friends with countries and meet with them. provide equal trades. that is how we can compete, not by providing welfare to countries who hate us. man, we could probably cut most of the world off from the freaking internet.
I am 100% for that. Cease 90% of US money remittances to 3rd world countries, end all US funding from the UN. Use US financial contributions to strengthen USA and use it as bargaining tool.

I also agree on equal, free trade. China trade MUST BE RESTRICTED /TAXED, even if ti means slightly higher costs to consumers. I am a free trade guy, but with China it ain't free trade. It is China-benefit-only trade and screwing up the USA.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
I also agree on equal, free trade. China trade MUST BE RESTRICTED /TAXED, even if ti means slightly higher costs to consumers. I am a free trade guy, but with China it ain't free trade. It is China-benefit-only trade and screwing up the USA.
Yep.. what's the actual tax numbers? It's something like 2% on Chinese goods being imported to the US, and around 25% for USA goods to be imported to China. No wonder there's a massive trade deficit with them - few people there can afford to buy American goods at a 25% tax markup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies