Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Is it all over the world, or only in America, where the ignorant have open contempt for the intelligent? A documentarin wins an Academy Award for a film, or a statesman wins the Nobel Prize, and they are called fat stupid morons by people who cannot write a complete sentence or spell ten words in a row correctly. How did this happen? The ignorant and the stupid are proud of their status in society. They encounter a well-dressed, well-read person who speaks articulately, and their reaction is "He thinks he's so smart". The ignorant see the social viewpoint of the educated, experienced and mature, and then make it a point to advocate policy that is the exact opposite. Why are the foolish so proud of their foolishmess? The failures so pround of their lack of success?

So go to it. Type in your half-line response and punctuate it with an emoticon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
You are correct here, the liberals do seem to dislike the well informed intellectuals quite alot!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
an education doesnt not equal intelligent or smart. At best it means you can read and regurgitate. Most academics cant apply themselves and hence are

academics

Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
it isn't just an american phenomenon. i have seen it everywhere i have gone to one degree or another. and i don't use emoticons.

aaron out.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,666 times
Most people who never go to college end up regretting it the rest of their lives. They even display inferiority complexes from time to time when in the same room with someone that knows how to speak, write, and eloquate themselves better who happened to go to college. This is nothing new

Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
While anti-intellectualism is popular the world over, it does have a unique place in US cultural history starting with the romanticisation of the rural 'self-made man' in early American literature as contrasted to the out-of-touch pompous urban intellectual. It is a cultural model that began to take root in the earliest moments of the US and continues to the present day and has played itself out politically over the years (anyone recall reading about the Know-Nothing party in the 1800's that played upon nativist fears and suggested that one who 'overthought' answers to social and political problems were suspect eggheads to be treated with suspicion and contempt), it is easy to see similar political rhetoric being employed in current campaigns (and no, just just with the Republicans, although recently they've employed said strategy with so much success it has begun to be associated with them even though the liberal populism of the past has also employed such political strategies with equal success).

Last edited by j33; 09-15-2008 at 10:38 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 10:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,666 times
Maybe that's why the bulk of our nation's higher learning institutions, which were built or founded in the 1800's are located in rural 'college towns'. Ivy league set aside, most people go to college in the country.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:46 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Our society places more value on looks and money than on hard work and intelligence. We have placed high priority on tv filler stories, like Anna Nicole Smith's death, Lindsey Lohan going to rehab, and political scandals that have no bearing on our lives.

The substance of America is gone. We are a nation of people who want to work less, play more, complain rather than change anything, and live like a rock star.

My grandmother moved in with me and my family a few months ago and I ran across some of her school books from primary and secondary school. When I saw the material in these texts I realized our country is in trouble. Our children are learning in college what my grandmother was learning in 8th grade.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Maybe that's why the bulk of our nation's higher learning institutions, which were built or founded in the 1800's are located in rural 'college towns'. Ivy league set aside, most people go to college in the country.
I did not check to see where you are from, but many universities are in cities. Take a look at Boston (75 +colleges/universities), UVA, UNC, Duke, Emory, University of Richmond, American, George Washington, University of Chicago, NYU, University of Michigan, etc...not rural schools. I didn't even make it to the west coast yet.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Our society places more value on looks and money than on hard work and intelligence. We have placed high priority on tv filler stories, like Anna Nicole Smith's death, Lindsey Lohan going to rehab, and political scandals that have no bearing on our lives.

The substance of America is gone. We are a nation of people who want to work less, play more, complain rather than change anything, and live like a rock star.

My grandmother moved in with me and my family a few months ago and I ran across some of her school books from primary and secondary school. When I saw the material in these texts I realized our country is in trouble. Our children are learning in college what my grandmother was learning in 8th grade.
What you just said is amazing but true. And sad!

We were driving in the car one day and my son was sharing some of his college wisdom. He asked me a question about accounting. Our daughter started laughing because I had helped her with the same subject when she was in college. I carried a 100 average in accounting in high school for 12 weeks. I got nothing but A's the rest of the school year. He had studied the same thing in his senior college class that I had studied in my high school class. When I went to college, I basically just got credit for what I had studied in high school. Some schools still teach today, but when most of the teacher's time is spent keeping control of the class, not much is being learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies