Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Muslims?
I don't like any organized religion. 14 13.33%
Muslims are all different, just like any other group of people. 65 61.90%
Most muslims are very extreme and anti-American. 20 19.05%
All Muslims are terrorists. 6 5.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times

Advertisements

I really dislike the "I don't like any organized religion" option. What does that have to do with it? I don't really care for organized religion, but that has nothing to do with my opinion of the people who practice it. I would hope that people can separate those things and not dislike or hate someone just because he or she believes in a religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
I have a Muslim friend at work.

He's one of the nicest and most personable people you'd ever want to meet. He was born in Saudi Arabia and raised in Pakistan. He is now trying to acquire his U.S. Citizenship.

You cannot judge people by their religion; everyone is different. Muslim does not equal terrorist.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:44 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Okay, here's an example. How about the outrage when the british cops sent out cards announcing their new police dog?

what? is there an article I can read or something?

and the person said something about TEXAS, not england.

LOL, just read your post about this being on the wrong thread. which is good, because i was wondering what the problem with police dogs was!

Last edited by mommytotwo; 09-16-2008 at 10:57 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siloa View Post
For one thing, Obama himself talked about his MUSLIM faith until George Stephanopolis corrected him and said, "You Mean your Christain faith? Obama said "oh yeah, thats what I meant to say." His Dad was Muslim, with numerous wives, and in the eyes of the Muslim religion that makes him a Muslim. Al Jazeera did a poll of Muslims, and 98 percent of them thought of Obama as a Muslim and hoped he was the next US President. Obama went to a Muslim school when he was raised in Indonesia. These are just a few reasons people talk about Obama as a Muslim. The Palestinians even have a phone bank which is raising money and getting out the vote for Obama.
*sigh* is that video on the web somewhere that I can see it? Cause I'd really like to see it.

when he was raised in indonesia? he left there when he was a young kid.......

"His father was a muslim and in the eyes of muslims that makes him a muslim!" Wwwhhhhaaatt? Are you kidding me? so they want to claim him, but the guy is a christian. I am sure Obama was a muslim till he was about 2, when his muslim daddy took off and left him with his white mama from Kansas......THAT's probably how long he MIGHT have been a Muslim for.

With a name like Barak Hussein Obama of course they think he's a Muslim. Hussein is a muslim name.

Shakira is a name of Arabic origin, do you think that makes her Muslim?

Maybe the Palestinians can raise enough money for him to offset the people who won't vote for him because of his funny name.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Interesting that you don't have a poll response that goes something like....

"Muslims are fine, good, decent, holy people"

Not that I would have picked that one necessarily but I have known my share of them and can tell you that for the most part they are just that.

Of all the MILLIONS of people of the Islamic faith out there, you have a very small minority that are trouble causers. Every religion has their fair share of insane fundamentalist freaks, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Shakira is a name of Arabic origin, do you think that makes her Muslim?
Good point, since people are putting so much stock in this name business. Her father is from Lebanon, I believe, but she has been a self-professed Catholic all her life.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:04 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Good point, since people are putting so much stock in this name business. Her father is from Lebanon, I believe, but she has been a self-professed Catholic all her life.
These two are not mutually exclusive. Until the wars of the early eighties, about half of the indigenous Lebanese were Christians (Maronite Catholics). Now it could be as little as 20 to 30% left. Like all war torn nations, the ones that can get out do get out.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:36 PM

500 posts, read 702,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
what? is there an article I can read or something?
I believe he was referring to this:Muslim outrage at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat | Mail Online

This BS will be coming to American pretty soon.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Arab View Post
I believe he was referring to this:Muslim outrage at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat | Mail Online

This BS will be coming to American pretty soon.
Apparently there is a belief that this "outrage" expressed by Muslims about the police dog was made possible by the provision that Sharia law can be applied in mediation. Before the Sharia mediation allowance, it would have been illegal for a Musim to object to a promotion involving a cop and a dog.

Have you ever noticed how many rational threads have been hijacked by this kind of non-sequitur to which even a 10-year-old would say "so what?" I think that is how reason is obstructed by people who see reason and logic beginning to rear its ugly head.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
These two are not mutually exclusive. Until the wars of the early eighties, about half of the indigenous Lebanese were Christians (Maronite Catholics). Now it could be as little as 20 to 30% left. Like all war torn nations, the ones that can get out do get out.
Sorry about my wording. I didn't mean to say that she should be Muslim if her father is from Lebanon, or that he is. What I really meant to say was that having an "Arabic-sounding" name, being from that part of the world, or having a parent who is, doesn't make one Islamic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies