Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:38 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
How much cheaper do you want meth to be? Or crack for that matter.....it is my understanding you can buy a hit for less then $10. Maybe they should be free? Or perhaps the government can distribute crack stamps? Get real. There is a huge difference between tabacco and food 'addicts' and actual addicts. Drugs - especially those made out of household cleaners like meth - can and do change the brain, irrevocably. Tabacco does not have that problem, nor does big macs or coors light.
As to the genie myth....you do realize that while the genie was contained in the bottle there were no problems? It was only after being released that the genie caused havoc?
If you went to public schools its possible you didn't read about prohibition in the 30's, but when the alcohol genie was in the bottle, organized crime generated from bootlegging, was rampant with control or influence throughout all areas of the economy and at all levels of government. It was much like today with the drug genie in the bottle.

The market will control the price of these drugs once they're legalized. The drugs would not only be cheaper, if the market decides, but much safer and crimes committed under the influence more easily prevented and prosecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Alcoholism sucks, prohibition didn't work. So --- lets sell heroin at starbucks? Whatever. I can only hope that you are gifted with a drug addict in the family --perhaps then the true nature of addiction and the host of problems that come with it will become clear to you. As it stands, you are arguing an acedemic hypothesis while I am arguing from the viewpoint of actual experience. Have a nice day in your Ivory Tower --- try not to hog the blunt, though

Old 09-18-2008, 10:38 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Alcoholism sucks, prohibition didn't work. So --- lets sell heroin at starbucks? Whatever. I can only hope that you are gifted with a drug addict in the family --perhaps then the true nature of addiction and the host of problems that come with it will become clear to you. As it stands, you are arguing an acedemic hypothesis while I am arguing from the viewpoint of actual experience. Have a nice day in your Ivory Tower --- try not to hog the blunt, though
Your reducing the debate to personal attacks provides an insight into the validity of your argument. Nice of you to hope that one of my family becomes a drug addict. I was once addicted to cigarettes, nearly 30 years ago, and I kicked it and I know many alcoholics and other drug addicts. Their behaviors cannot be seperated except to the point that the illegality of hard drugs increases the severity of their actions. If cigarettes weren't legal, its difficult to tell to what extent some would go to to get their "fix" of their next puff. The same can be said for Big Macs and alcohol.

You're right, prohibition of alcohol didn't work, and neither has prohibition of drugs. So, what do we do? Maybe we should do what FDR and 78% of the U.S. realized when they rattified the 21st Amendment and end this senseless prohibition and work toward drug education.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 941 times
yes its neccisary. **** all drug dealers. drugs did nothing to me but distroy all the people i love. if i knew the person who first started it i would have killed him to death even if i went to jail for life!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Souds like they were not just small dopers really. Many do alot mpore crime and the cops get them for what they can regardless of the offical charge. Besides who would expect before hand a small doper to risk shooting it out with thye cops, But the truth is many more times the cops end up in situation like thisi with what they thought was a minor traffic stop. Its shows most likely the people are more involved in crime than just a minor offense.No telling now days what the cops will run into on mnor violation stops in this world.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Drug dealers and drug police are symbiotic. They need each other to survive. The dealers need the DEA to keep prices up and the competition down while DEA needs the dopos to keep the budgets expanding.
You are exactly right.

And the drug problem in this country will never go away ... there is just too much money to be had for all involved.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:34 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
The police should have waited......the public safety should have been their priority in this situation.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:40 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The police should have waited......the public safety should have been their priority in this situation.
Killing drug dealers "is" in the interest of public safety

Chances are pretty good that the particular ChuckECheese in the story was closed at the time (closed at 10:00 pm on Mondays). The particular location in question is an old one and poor, and not well liked or patronized anyway.

The cops probably would not have run the sting during regular business hours anyway, and if they had, knowing there were children close by, wouldn't have shot the dealer.

Since the place was closed at the time, I'll give a great big KUDOS to the cops for eliminating another worthless piece of trash drug dealer.

Last edited by bigskydude; 05-24-2009 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies