U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 AM

34 posts, read 149,958 times

Advertisements

I recently took a modern political theory philosophy course. In the course we studied such thinkers as John Locke, Edmund Burke, Karl Marx, and John Stuart Mill. To make this short, after completing the course with an A I might add, I realized that everyone in the United States is liberal. Here is my logic behind this assumption. Our country was founded on the ideas of enlightenment thinkers particularly John Locke, ideas such as natural rights. Think about the rhetoric we here today in politics. I have a right to own a gun, and there should be little government intervention over the economy. While they seem conservative, they can be directly tied to John Locke ideas. John Locke is one the biggest liberal to ever live. If one wants to know a true conservative just read Edmund Burke’s Reflections on the Revolution in France. Even the staunchest conservatives in my class questioned his notions that it is traditions that government should be based upon, and that natural rights mean nothing when it comes to a society.While American conservatism does place some value upon tradition such as marriage is traditionally between a man and woman, I don’t hear talk of rejection of natural rights. In conclusion this country was founded upon John Locke’s liberal philosophy. American conservatism is really liberalism but a watered down version. We are all essentially liberals we just disagree on the fine points of the ideology. Anyone else agree
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:22 PM

4,513 posts, read 5,514,584 times
Classical liberalism, which is what thinkers like John Locke, John Stuart Mill promoted is closer to libertarianism which is conservative on fiscal matters and liberal on matters of freedom. Current day American conservativism tends to take the form of neo conservativism which promotes restricting freedom and advocates the values of tradition etc.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 14,143,656 times
Moved from Religion and Philosophy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies