Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
OMAHA, Nebraska — A meatpacking plant has agreed to accommodate Muslim workers' request for prayer time during Ramadan, union officials said Wednesday.
Earlier this week 300 Muslim JBS Swift & Co. workers, most of Somali background, walked off the job in protest of the prayer dispute. No one was fired after the protest.
Dan Hoppes, president of the local United Food and Commercial Workers Union, said management at the plant has agreed to temporarily change the timing of the second-shift lunch break to accommodate workers wanting time to pray during the Muslim observance of Ramadan.
Workers previously took the 30-minute break in shifts. The change will force the entire line to break at once. The arrangement will be in effect the next nine working days, which will cover the remainder of Ramadan, Hoppes said.
A phone message left with company officials was not immediately returned Wednesday.
The plant employs about 2,500 people, not including management, Hoppes said. He estimates about 500 of the plant's workforce is Muslim.
More than 100 workers at a Greeley, Colorado, Swift plant were fired last week because the company said they walked away from work before their shifts ended. The workers blamed the company's refusal to allow their breaks to coincide with sunset so they could pray.
Here we go again! More "accommodations" to Muslims/Islamics just to "keep the peace"! Well..., we'll just add this to foot baths, prayer rooms, head coverings, etc, etc, etc...! In the not too distant future, work places will have more resemblance to a "Mosque" than a place of employment and Sharia Law will rule the work floor!

FOXNews.com - Union: Muslim Workers Reach Deal for Prayer Break - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Here we go again! More "accommodations" to Muslims/Islamics just to "keep the peace"! Well..., we'll just add this to foot baths, prayer rooms, head coverings, etc, etc, etc...! In the not too distant future, work places will have more resemblance to a "Mosque" than a place of employment and Sharia Law will rule the work floor!

FOXNews.com - Union: Muslim Workers Reach Deal for Prayer Break - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
So they have no right to their religion? You chrisitans employ such double-standards.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
So they have no right to their religion? You chrisitans employ such double-standards.
The last time I checked, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Sieks, etc. didn't shut down an entire production line so they can roll out their prayer rugs to prayer to their God! Fear not, your "boy" BHO will win in November and all you Muslims/Islamics will get your own personal prayer room, which hopefully, will be in the restrooms!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
Quote:

First of all, this says that it changed the LUNCH BREAK so these people can pray.

They are not getting paid to pray. They are doing it on their lunch break.

Unions negotiate deals all the time for their members.

I see nothing wrong with this accommodation. If it were Christians that needed to pray, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Try making SUNDAY part of the regular workweek in this country and see how many people ask for accommodations!!!!!!!

Last edited by mommytotwo; 09-17-2008 at 08:48 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Workers previously took the 30-minute break in shifts. The change will force the entire line to break at once.

Please note that the entire production line will be shut down for the "prayer lunch". If you knew anything about meat processing, you would know that there is shut down and start up protocols for food processing that requires cleaning and sanitizing of the processing equipment and a loss of product at the beginning and end of production, hence the necessity to run a production line continuously once it's started. So to keep the peace with the Muslims/Islamics, the company if forced to absorb the costs of stopping and re-staring the production line additional times during the shift. Another "kiss ass" situation for the company and the union!

Quote:
Try making SUNDAY part of the regular workweek in this country and see how many people ask for accommodations!!!!!!!
Earth to "mommytotwo", millions of people work the weekend as part of their regular workweek, I did for many years! Smarten up!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
Damn this is is a stupid thread isn't it?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 PM

532 posts, read 908,621 times
I don't think anyone should practice any religion. It's like believing in fairy tales after all.
But I know many people feel strongly that religion is an important part of their lives so alright, I guess I can go along with it.
Just don't try to make it seem like one religion is any better than another, because they are all ridiculous. Christianity, Islam, Scientology- a bunch of hooey.

But if people want to pray on their lunch breaks, I certainly couldn't care less.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 PM

500 posts, read 702,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
First of all, this says that it changed the LUNCH BREAK so these people can pray.

They are not getting paid to pray. They are doing it on their lunch break.

Unions negotiate deals all the time for their members.

I see nothing wrong with this accommodation. If it were Christians that needed to pray, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Have been outside on Sundays? do you see all the open shops, people working? I guess those people aren't Christians.

Hey look, some public schools in California will have separate prayer room to accommodate Muslims students. A room of which I, as a tax payer will fork the bill, so what? I mean, why stop there, let's forget about anything America, and lets accommodate everybody, so what?. Before we know it, Sharia laws will be in place, much like in Londonstan, so what?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
Quote:
Damn, you're an "intelligently challenged" OP, aren't you?
Correct, the people who challenge me do it very intelligently-- they always trick me into trying to fulfill their challenges with their tricky clever ways, and I just don't know what to do about it man. As one challenge I've been arguing with myself all week about whether I should take the day off for Christmas this year, considering how unethical it would be to assume that my cultural heritage allows me to shirk my responsibilities in such an outrageous fashion. What an ethical dilemma!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:26 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times
How about we ban all government recognition of anything religious hmm? There, now it is fair for everyone and I, as an agnostic, can finally stop hearing you religious folks fkin yipping at each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies