Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:36 PM

22,891 posts, read 28,167,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
REALLY, so now you're saying that the classification of blacks as a race has been wrong all along?
Yup.

In terms of "race," most black people are as diverse as the rest of us. We're all mutts. But people get hung up on "race" because they get hung up on skin color.

The same is true of "white" by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 04:22 PM

332 posts, read 447,547 times
Quote:
The sooner we start eliminating all programs, events, celebrations, penalties, what have you, that are targeted at a certain skin color or national origin, things will get better.

You can't fight racism with racism, no matter the intent. "Positive" racism is still racism. The "ism" at the end of any word denotes a representation of topic. Racism, no matter if it's for or against the race being represented, is still racism.

White people who ask the question "why can't we have a white history month?" are asking a valid question. Why can't we? The common response is that white history is 11 months out of the year. Still yet there is no month when I turn on the television and get blasted with one message after another celebrating white history. i.e. for one month out of the year everyone is being told that they need to stop and remember the accomplishments of blacks, but at no time are they told to stop and remember the accomplishments of anyone else. Leaving out "whites", or as I prefer "European Americans", lol, Asians, Hispanics, etc, don't have this sort of representation either.

I don't hate blacks, or any race. I am however resentful of my educational system that I had black history rammed down my throat my entire life, but I didn't learn the history of my own people until I decided to study it myself. Something is wrong with that picture. We need to achieve a better balance to better serve all Americans, not just those with the loudest voice.

-TT
Really? I'm black and I know more about whites than I know about my own culture. We maybe spend 2 days talking about blacks than switch to something new like "The Great Depression." I guess maybe your teachers teaching methods were different.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,610,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Really? I'm black and I know more about whites than I know about my own culture. We maybe spend 2 days talking about blacks than switch to something new like "The Great Depression." I guess maybe your teachers teaching methods were different.
You must attend school in Klansville Alabama then. Either that, or you're just not listening. 1/12th of our calendar year is spent on the subject as a society, and 1/9th of most public school years as well. Unfortunately, my force-feeding of black history lasted much longer than 1/9th of the year. I was able to tell you the name of Martin Luther King's wife before I knew who Abe Lincoln's wife was.

As for studying the great depression, you would do well to pay attention. We're headed that way again depending on the next few elections. Those that don't learn from history shall be condemned to repeat it. As for slavery, we've already learned from that mistake, not much point in studying it over and over again. Now we just let them come here on their own, pay them sub-minimum wage so they can live 15 to a house, and refer to them as illegal immigrants.

-TT

Old 02-13-2007, 03:24 AM

652 posts, read 2,801,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup.

In terms of "race," most black people are as diverse as the rest of us. We're all mutts. But people get hung up on "race" because they get hung up on skin color.

The same is true of "white" by the way.
Yes, of course, race doesn't exist, etc. If you moved all Europeans into Africa, and moved all Africans into Europe, then Blacks would act like White people and Whites would acts like Blacks. We know this is true because television and Hollywood films make it quite obvious.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:27 AM

652 posts, read 2,801,210 times
Quote:
You must attend school in Klansville Alabama then. Either that, or you're just not listening. 1/12th of our calendar year is spent on the subject as a society, and 1/9th of most public school years as well. Unfortunately, my force-feeding of black history lasted much longer than 1/9th of the year. I was able to tell you the name of Martin Luther King's wife before I knew who Abe Lincoln's wife was.
Did you know Abe liked minstrel shows and was a racial separatist?

Old 02-13-2007, 05:17 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,143,793 times
Quote:
As for studying the great depression, you would do well to pay attention. We're headed that way again depending on the next few elections. Those that don't learn from history shall be condemned to repeat it. As for slavery, we've already learned from that mistake, not much point in studying it over and over again. Now we just let them come here on their own, pay them sub-minimum wage so they can live 15 to a house, and refer to them as illegal immigrants.
As a gold investor, this is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:59 AM

332 posts, read 447,547 times
Quote:

-TT
Actually I do listening and I'm passing with a 96 in History, and another thing is that I go to school in Texas

Old 02-13-2007, 10:24 AM

22,891 posts, read 28,167,543 times
Quote:
As for slavery, we've already learned from that mistake
Apparently not. Take a look at the labor practices of Wal-Mart, Nike, and most clothing manufacturers. The US didn't end slavery. We just out-sourced it.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:05 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,610,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
and another thing is that I go to school in Texas
Well I just got told, lol. Ok, you win.

So I'm guessing black history was limited to studying the plight of the plantation owners when they lost all of their human assets? lol.

I have to keep reminding myself that there are still parts of this country that operate like that. I grew up in NY, so sometimes I forget what others have to endure in the "less enlightened" parts. Even though I spent my teen years in a predominantly white area of NY, we still spent quite a bit of time studying black history. I think it was a bit too much, especially considering the demographic of the school, but thats how it is up here. It's almost like we're compensating for Texas, lol. Oddly enough, I think we spent LESS time on black history when I was living in predominantly black areas. Go figure.

I'll never understand how Texas had already experienced GWB, and then continued to vote him in TWICE as president. I frankly hope we give it back to Mexico someday, including Crawford.

-TT

Old 02-13-2007, 11:34 PM

702 posts, read 2,522,725 times
YapCity..."I am however resentful of my educational system that I had black history rammed down my throat my entire life, but I didn't learn the history of my own people until I decided to study it myself."

Okay...Why is it that you describe being taught history as having it 'rammed down your throat'? The one month we spend concentrating on black history, which is a part of U.S. history (OUR history) is a small part of the school year. The other 8-9 months are white history...although it isn't specifically called by that name, most of the history that has been and is being taught in schools concerns white America and historically has ignored black people. I guess if you look at education in general it IS kind of jammed down the kids' throats, but that's because we can't allow them to choose what they want to learn. The curriculum is set by the state, and the teachers are required to 'jam it down the throats' of the students.

History education involves teaching and learning about lots of different people, cultures, events, and places. It's silly to ignore any part of history, and Black History Month ensures that at least some history involving people of color will be included. Maybe in the future we can simply learn history, without purposefully excluding anyone or anything and without prejudices, then we won't have a need for Black History Month. Until then it is necessary to make sure history lessons include REAL history, not just the parts that you're comfortable with.

Didn't the communist countries teach selective history that glorified their governments, leaving out anything that could be viewed as a failure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies