Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
All I know is that living in San Francisco the majority of people I've come across have been very friendly and the very few unfriendly have been white. When I got lost on the bus (yes, haha, I know ), the BLACK bus driver helped me out by putting me on the correct bus where the next BLACK bus driver told me where to get off and what bus to take to get back to my campus and her BLACK line reader sat next to me and we chatted about the Chargers vs. the 49ers (in a very civil manner, I might add) so he could let me know exactly which stop to get off at and where to stand and wait for the bus I needed. My internship with a non-profit group is on Fillmore St., the historically BLACK street where I work with BLACK kids who live in public housing on things like homework and life skills. These are some of the nicest people I have ever met, both the majority BLACK volunteers and the kids themselves. So that's me, relying on my own experiences and wondering why other people feel the way they do about black people. Anyway, it's my right to judge and be ashamed of all of the white people who have those racist feelings. I think it reflects badly on me and the other white people I know who don't harbor those feelings. That's just my opinion, and obviously we are all entitled to one.
San Francisco is only 9% black, move to a city like Memphis or New Orleans and you'll change your tune quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 04:13 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
San Francisco is only 9% black, move to a city like Memphis or New Orleans and you'll change your tune quick.
It's seems like more than that. Are you sure your numbers are correct? As far as I can tell this city is very multiracial. And I don't think I'd feel differently in another city. You might turn on the news and say, "Oh look, another black man just killed someone, how typical," but that's not how I see things.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:26 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Quote:
The way you were talking basically led me to believe...
No, your preconceived notions "lead" you to believe. Your conscious effort to suppress the innate tendencies you have, as a human, to be aware of correlations between pigmentation and culture failed and you exposed your human nature... Your assumptions, which are naturally made as a human, were inaccurate in this exchange. My way of talking did nothing except trigger the natural response based on your inaccurate assumptions.

You see? Racism as you've been lead to define it is artificial and contrary to human nature. We all make assumptions.

Quote:
... that you think that I see myself as better than them because I'm white...
You must believe yourself superior... but not because you're white. Why else would you think you're able to help them clear the aberrant behavior unless your behavior was not aberrant?

The superiority is implied. However, I don't consider that a negative trait. We all recognize the desire to commit infanticide (under normal circumstances) is an inferior characteristic compared to the repulsion to such a crime. Correct? Then why would it be considered that values for success are inferior to the values of failure?

Quote:
I used the term "white savior" because there have been a lot of movies in the past decade about the plucky white teacher brought in to help out the poor ghetto kids and that's not what I'm doing...
You don't see the racism in that? The acrimony?

Let me tell you something about ghetto scum. The principle applies to all ghetto scum, but since we're talking about blacks, I'll frame it appropriately.

Failure-- which is life in the ghetto-- is the consequence of the person, not the circumstance. When you see all these dirtballs (adults) in the ghetto, what you're seeing are people who cling, despite how it's failed them, to their corrupt culture. These scum, clinging to their corruption, seek to find reason in the world why they failed-- rather than recognize their own failings. One way to do this-- and the most popular in my experience-- is to blame it on whites who manifest success. Statements like "white savior" are borne of this irrational and self-destructive behavior. So when you say "white savior", you're reaffirming the validity of blaming others.

Quote:
So do tell, how am I corrupted?
Inaccurate assumptions as I've already mentioned and your use of "white savior" are demonstrations of your corruption.

For what it's worth, I recognize these things because I was a po' white boy being helped by similar people... The difference between me and most people who stumbled using the assumptions of such "helpers" is that I see a little deeper into things... While so many that I was raised with ended up in prison for long durations on those assumptions, I disassembled them early and recognized how wrong they are.

Quote:
Do you think that no one should ever volunteer or do anything outside of their race? I'm a bit confused on what you mean by that.
Race, in regard to your question, is irrelevant, IMO. What I believe is that you can help others best by setting an example rather than trying to help directly.

However, if you really want to help people, particularly blacks, get involved with your local correctional facility to supply copies of Locke's "Second Treatise of Government". Although there are other books that would also help, if the entire population of black America understood it, the chains of slavery that still plague black America would be unlocked from this generation.

That'd be much more helpful than trying to impose an artificial belief system that requires people deny that most of their experiences with blacks aren't pleasant.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:39 PM

164 posts, read 463,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Whites who've actually lived around blacks aren't susceptible to erroneous theories of cultural equality. If you ask those same people if they believed if all blacks were bad or if it was their mainstream culture, I'm quite certain they'd respond that it's definitely not all blacks, but the majority.
Well, that's much better, then.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
Well, that's much better, then.
It is. It demonstrates that they're not racist in the real sense of racism. (As opposed to the artificial racism that tries to suppress human nature.)

Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
No, your preconceived notions "lead" you to believe. Your conscious effort to suppress the innate tendencies you have, as a human, to be aware of correlations between pigmentation and culture failed and you exposed your human nature... Your assumptions, which are naturally made as a human, were inaccurate in this exchange. My way of talking did nothing except trigger the natural response based on your inaccurate assumptions.

You see? Racism as you've been lead to define it is artificial and contrary to human nature. We all make assumptions.

You must believe yourself superior... but not because you're white. Why else would you think you're able to help them clear the aberrant behavior unless your behavior was not aberrant?

The superiority is implied. However, I don't consider that a negative trait. We all recognize the desire to commit infanticide (under normal circumstances) is an inferior characteristic compared to the repulsion to such a crime. Correct? Then why would it be considered that values for success are inferior to the values of failure?

You don't see the racism in that? The acrimony?

Let me tell you something about ghetto scum. The principle applies to all ghetto scum, but since we're talking about blacks, I'll frame it appropriately.

Failure-- which is life in the ghetto-- is the consequence of the person, not the circumstance. When you see all these dirtballs (adults) in the ghetto, what you're seeing are people who cling, despite how it's failed them, to their corrupt culture. These scum, clinging to their corruption, seek to find reason in the world why they failed-- rather than recognize their own failings. One way to do this-- and the most popular in my experience-- is to blame it on whites who manifest success. Statements like "white savior" are borne of this irrational and self-destructive behavior. So when you say "white savior", you're reaffirming the validity of blaming others.

Inaccurate assumptions as I've already mentioned and your use of "white savior" are demonstrations of your corruption.

For what it's worth, I recognize these things because I was a po' white boy being helped by similar people... The difference between me and most people who stumbled using the assumptions of such "helpers" is that I see a little deeper into things... While so many that I was raised with ended up in prison for long durations on those assumptions, I disassembled them early and recognized how wrong they are.

Race, in regard to your question, is irrelevant, IMO. What I believe is that you can help others best by setting an example rather than trying to help directly.

However, if you really want to help people, particularly blacks, get involved with your local correctional facility to supply copies of Locke's "Second Treatise of Government". Although there are other books that would also help, if the entire population of black America understood it, the chains of slavery that still plague black America would be unlocked from this generation.

That'd be much more helpful than trying to impose an artificial belief system that requires people deny that most of their experiences with blacks aren't pleasant.
Um, what? I don't understand half of what you just spouted, it was all kind of rambling and unclear. And what you said about aberrant behavior is untrue. I'm not trying to "clear" them of any behavior. I'm just helping them with their homework, teaching them to cook, exercising with them, and taking them on field trips around the city to museums among other things. I'm basically a chaperone. Do you seriously want me to believe that's a bad thing? Who else would chaperone them? Their parents who are working to pay the bills? I don't understand what you're trying to say at all. Maybe we can be more civil if you dumb down your posts for an idiot like me.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
It's seems like more than that. Are you sure your numbers are correct? As far as I can tell this city is very multiracial. And I don't think I'd feel differently in another city. You might turn on the news and say, "Oh look, another black man just killed someone, how typical," but that's not how I see things.
The black population in SF was up to 13% in 1970, but by 2006 it had decreased to 7.2%, I was generous by saying 9%. I wasn't talking about what I see on the news, I was talking about general attitudes that I encounter everyday. In many areas (especially the south), blacks have a very nasty attitude towards whites, but all you hear about on TV is white racism. In a city like Memphis where blacks are 61% you would not be safe as a white woman in a black neighborhood, it's as simple as that. The truth is, white people who live in areas with high black populations are more likely to have an unfavorable opinion of them.

San Francisco, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2008, 05:30 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,611 times
Quote:
According to a new survey, 40 percent of all white Americans hold at least a partly negative view toward blacks, many calling them "lazy," "violent," responsible for their own troubles, and that includes many Democrats and independents. This survey was basically about how racial misgivings on the part of white Democrats could cost Obama the White House. But this isn't about the election but race in general. I'm honestly ashamed of my own race right now and to every African American member of CD can I just say that I am not one of the 40 percent and I'm ashamed that 40 percent of the white people surveyed felt this way.

Link to the survey:
Political Pulse | The Associated Press-Yahoo! News Poll on Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/page/election-2008-political-pulse-obama-race - broken link)
No need to feel ashamed. You can only control what you do. There will always be some white people that see blacks negatively. There will always be some black people that see whites negatively.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:30 PM

145 posts, read 247,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
You obviously don't have a clue about cultures in the rest of the world. I've lived in Asia. I've visited Africa and South America. I've lived in Europe. There are MANY countries that are more racist than the US.
The Most Racist Country in the Western World - Economics Blog - Zubin Jelveh - Odd Numbers - Portfolio.com

So have I. Show me another country that has the same history of lynching and subjugating and enslaving and ostracizing its BLACK population. And if you do don't come up with thousand-year-old references either. Remember this country continues to discriminate against blacks TO THIS DAY.

The link you provide states:
"The paper's authors used responses from a question in the Human Beliefs and Values Survey -- a twice-a-decade survey of social and political attitudes around the world -- which asked respondents how they would feel about living next to: People of different ethnicities, Muslims, Jews, immigrants or foreign workers, and homosexuals."

The topic is currently on RACISM AGAINST BLACKS. Not how people feel about living next to jews or gays or poodles.

Last edited by Talibanic; 09-20-2008 at 06:09 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
No need to feel ashamed. You can only control what you do. There will always be some white people that see blacks negatively. There will always be some black people that see whites negatively.
I guess that's a good way of looking at it. I can't control anyone's views, regardless of their race, so I should just let it go. It's a tough pill to swallow though. It just confuses me because I don't see the need for the racism, from either side. To think that our next President will be decided based on people's views of race, rather than his platform, is pretty disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies