Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Um, what? I don't understand half of what you just spouted, it was all kind of rambling and unclear.
The writing is conceptually dense. Like anything that expresses much in few words, it requires patient reading. I was under the misunderstanding that you were interested in considering views that might be contrary to your own... but obviously, your shallow response demonstrates your desire to avoid considering such.

Quote:
And what you said about aberrant behavior is untrue. I'm not trying to "clear" them of any behavior. I'm just helping them with their homework, teaching them to cook, exercising with them, and taking them on field trips around the city to museums among other things. I'm basically a chaperone.
You believe what you're doing is superior to what they'd be doing without you or someone else filling that position, correct? You believe that what you're facilitating is superior, correct? I don't know how much simpler it can be than that... except for us to agree that you're close minded on the subject.

Quote:
Do you seriously want me to believe that's a bad thing? Who else would chaperone them?
Who says they need chaperoning? Who says they need your information?

Quote:
Maybe we can be more civil if you dumb down your posts for an idiot like me.
I think it'd be a waste of my time. You're obviously incapable of grasping the concepts I've adequately expressed. I suspect it's because of your refusal to consider them. Simplifying them for an "idiot" like you would only be a waste of my time... and I wouldn't want to waste your's with reading my writing when you could be out contaminating some ghetto kid who might benefit from your absence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 05:41 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The black population in SF was up to 13% in 1970, but by 2006 it had decreased to 7.2%, I was generous by saying 9%. I wasn't talking about what I see on the news, I was talking about general attitudes that I encounter everyday. In many areas (especially the south), blacks have a very nasty attitude towards whites, but all you hear about on TV is white racism. In a city like Memphis where blacks are 61% you would not be safe as a white woman in a black neighborhood, it's as simple as that. The truth is, white people who live in areas with high black populations are more likely to have an unfavorable opinion of them.

San Francisco, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, it's too expensive here, a lot of people can't afford to live in the city. I've never been to the south so I can't remark on that. I do understand what you're saying about how people view their neighbors. My hometown has A LOT of Mexicans (many illegal) so most of the racism I was exposed to was towards Mexicans from whites or towards whites from Mexicans.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talibanic View Post
So have I. Show me another country that has the same history of lynching and subjugating and enslaving and ostracizing its BLACK population. And if you do don't come up with thousand-year-old references either. Remember this country continues to discriminate against blacks TO THIS DAY.
Show me a country that has lost so many of it's own in setting them free.

The country doesn't discriminate against blacks. It discriminates against the slave culture that mainstream black society holds so lovingly to.

This country doesn't have a history of enslaving anyone. A number of states within this country, who would have been independent countries had it not been accepted, oppressed blacks. At the time the Constitution was negotiated, it was clear that a war was going to be required to free blacks but no states-- which hadn't even paid off the debt of the Revolution-- were in the position to wage a war... let alone defend themselves if one of those slave states became an independent country allied with one of the many powers of the time.

You demonstrate perfectly why blacks continue to enslave themselves through lack of authentic education. Read a book.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
The writing is conceptually dense. Like anything that expresses much in few words, it requires patient reading. I was under the misunderstanding that you were interested in considering views that might be contrary to your own... but obviously, your shallow response demonstrates your desire to avoid considering such.

You believe what you're doing is superior to what they'd be doing without you or someone else filling that position, correct? You believe that what you're facilitating is superior, correct? I don't know how much simpler it can be than that... except for us to agree that you're close minded on the subject.

Who says they need chaperoning? Who says they need your information?

I think it'd be a waste of my time. You're obviously incapable of grasping the concepts I've adequately expressed. I suspect it's because of your refusal to consider them. Simplifying them for an "idiot" like you would only be a waste of my time... and I wouldn't want to waste your's with reading my writing when you could be out contaminating some ghetto kid who might benefit from your absence.
I would actually like to read your views but I don't get all the stuff you're saying about suppressing human nature. You have to expand on that for me to understand what you mean. That isn't me refusing to hear your view, that's me not understanding what your view is. This superiority thing is getting on my nerves. Most people could do my job and it's not me giving information. It's not like we sit down everyday for a session on how to be a better person. We do homework (and they know their math and science much better than me, I can assure you, I'm only useful for help with literature and history homework), we all make snacks together (healthy snacks that the kids basically make on their own), and then we focus on other things (sometimes we get to go to the museum, or the park, or the beach). So I fail to understand how that makes me superior. And yes, I believe that ten year olds should probably have a chaperone when walking around San Francisco, I certainly don't think they should go to Golden Gate Park on their own, do you? You're really rude, I don't know what your problem is. Oh, let me just apologize for being available to work in this program with the kids. Let me just apologize for "contaminating" them by taking them to the beach or the park. What do you think they should do after school? Go home and sit in front of the T.V. and stuff their faces with junk food?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I would actually like to read your views but I don't get all the stuff you're saying about suppressing human nature. You have to expand on that for me to understand what you mean. That isn't me refusing to hear your view, that's me not understanding what your view is.
Thanks for the generous response.

Honestly, simplifying it would be too much. You have to treat the sentences like a math equation. Each word has significance and effects the outcome. Like reading Locke, Smith or anything else complex, you just have to push yourself to understand. That's real learning... not what they claim learning is in school... When you work hard on it, the changes occurring in your brain will cause a headache-- that's physiological changes that support a broadening mind. You just have to push.

Learning is between you and the material. You have to adjust to the material to learn.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talibanic View Post
So have I. Show me another country that has the same history of lynching and subjugating and enslaving and ostracizing its BLACK population. And if you do don't come up with thousand-year-old references either. Remember this country continues to discriminate against blacks TO THIS DAY.

The topic is currently on RACISM AGAINST BLACKS. Not how people feel about living next to jews or gays or poodles.
Looks like you've never heard of the country of South Africa, one that is decades behind the US with regards to the treatment of the black population. Apartheid ring a bell?

Obviously not.. you're just on these forums to scream how much you hate the USA.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:42 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
Quote:
Thanks for the generous response.

Honestly, simplifying it would be too much. You have to treat the sentences like a math equation. Each word has significance and effects the outcome. Like reading Locke, Smith or anything else complex, you just have to push yourself to understand. That's real learning... not what they claim learning is in school... When you work hard on it, the changes occurring in your brain will cause a headache-- that's physiological changes that support a broadening mind. You just have to push.

Learning is between you and the material. You have to adjust to the material to learn.
Or you have to throw out red herring arguments about the extreme complexity and brilliance of your words when in actuality half of what you are saying really doesn't make any sense. I get the impression you constantly have a thesaurus by your side so you can find the largest, most impressive word to use when in actuality, you are just further confounding sentences that don't have much clarity or logic to begin with (and it sounds like you're also going for some sort of mysticism with your writing which is downright strange). And to question tangodoodles as having some sort of feelings of superiority in their volunteering when it is clear that you seem to have a borderline-pathological superiority complex is actually kind of funny....

Quote:
No, your preconceived notions "lead" you to believe. Your conscious effort to suppress the innate tendencies you have, as a human, to be aware of correlations between pigmentation and culture failed and you exposed your human nature... Your assumptions, which are naturally made as a human, were inaccurate in this exchange. My way of talking did nothing except trigger the natural response based on your inaccurate assumptions.

You see? Racism as you've been lead to define it is artificial and contrary to human nature. We all make assumptions.
You see? This actually says nothing and doesn't make any sense. And for the record, it is absurd to use long-ago debunked social darwinist arguments about "human nature" or "animal behavior" when talking about social issues - human nature does not create racism/ preconceived notions, culture does.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 09-20-2008 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Or you have to throw out red herring arguments about the extreme complexity and brilliance of your words...
I was under the impression involved parties were posting sincerely. If I were interested in a red herring as a manipulative defense, I'd have saved it until exhausting challenges to cite the portion of my post that was confusing/inaccurate/or whatever grievances existed. However, I'm not looking to hide anything so there was no need.

Quote:
... when in actuality half of what you are saying really doesn't make any sense.
Please cite where my post/s veers off. Be specific.

Quote:
I get the impression you constantly have a thesaurus by your side so you can find the largest, most impressive word to use...
Give an example of pedantic phrasing and offer something that would, with equal accuracy, state the point.

I don't have a thesaurus nearby. Words follow thought. The more complex your ideas, the more complex your vocabulary. In my experience, stupid people with issues of insecurity generally take offense to it. (FYI: I'm implying that you're not smart.)

Quote:
... when in actuality, you are just further confounding sentences that don't have much clarity or logic to begin with...
Again, please cite.

Quote:
... (and it sounds like you're also going for some sort of mysticism with your writing which is downright strange).
I read a lot. When you do, your phrasing begins to reflect the style of writing. Most of the stuff I read is at least a couple centuries old. I speak differently too. Are you suggesting that people shouldn't read much because it makes you feel uncomfortable when they adopt styles to which ( )you're unaccustomed?

Quote:
... it is clear that you seem to have a borderline-pathological superiority complex...
Are you using the DSM IV for diagnosis or did it just sound good?

Quote:
You see? This actually says nothing and doesn't make any sense.
Please don't be a moron. Cite the word where my post loses sense.

Quote:
...And for the record, it is absurd to use long-ago debunked social darwinist arguments about "human nature" or "animal behavior" when talking about social issues...
Are you suggesting that cultural evolution doesn't occur and natural law-- as in our desire to be free-- has been refuted? If so... as quick as possible, do cite a source. I'll be waiting with bells on.

Quote:
... human nature does not create racism/ preconceived notions, culture does.
For clarity sake, please define racism... depending on your definition, either you're an idiot for the assertion or an idiot for not reading the implied definition that's been used in this thread.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:07 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
I guess that's a good way of looking at it. I can't control anyone's views, regardless of their race, so I should just let it go. It's a tough pill to swallow though. It just confuses me because I don't see the need for the racism, from either side. To think that our next President will be decided based on people's views of race, rather than his platform, is pretty disappointing.
You can be assured that it is his platform and not his race that most will not be voting for. Gore lost his own state for having some of the same lack of values. If the democrats want to win, they need to get a little, no a lot, closer to the middle on the issues. Obama is the most liberal person in the senate. His race is probably the only reason he is still in the running. A white candidate with his voting record in the senate would have been gone a long time ago.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You can be assured that it is his platform and not his race that most will not be voting for. Gore lost his own state for having some of the same lack of values. If the democrats want to win, they need to get a little, no a lot, closer to the middle on the issues. Obama is the most liberal person in the senate. His race is probably the only reason he is still in the running. A white candidate with his voting record in the senate would have been gone a long time ago.
I disagree with that. I think his platform is fine, I agree with his platform. The fact that you cited "lack of values" for Gore's loss leads me to believe you're a conservative, probably anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage/rights as well since they go hand in hand. Most Democrats agree with his platform. What I'm saying is that it's sad that Democrats who agree with his platform won't vote for him on the basis of race. Clearly, you're a Republican because of the "values," well, I have to say that I'm a Democrat for the values and I think our platform is great. It's all about perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies