Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

An IQ test to vote, what good would that do, I've known folks with high IQ's that were idiots and I've known folks with low IQ's that knew whats happening in this world, high IQ means nothing in politics, it may make for better liars but thats about it. Everyone should be allowed to vote it's our right, I wouldn't want some people who think they know best voting for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 12,200 times
Talking Presidential Powers

In the Constitution as well as other attached documents, the President DOES have the power to suspend the Constitution when they declare Martial Law. Congress and the US Supreme court would also be suspended until the national emergency is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Americans are ill-prepared to guide the world's most powerful democracy. Only 2 of 5 voters can name the three branches of the federal government. And 49 percent of Americans think the president has the authority to suspend the Constitution. The severity of the problem snapped into focus after Sept. 11, 2001, when polls showed that a large number of Americans knew little about the attacks and the Iraq war that followed. Americans did little to seek the truth. "As became irrefutably clear in scientific polls undertaken after 9/11...millions of Americans simply cannot fathom the twists and turns that complicated debates take.

The Ignorant American Voter - US News and World Report

Old 09-20-2008, 06:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I've known folks with high IQ's that were idiots and I've known folks with low IQ's that knew whats happening in this world,.
I knew a person who smoked a pack a day all his life, and never got lung cancer. I saw a guy on TV who fell out of an airplane and wasn't killed. I knew a hooker who never got pregnant. So what?

Old 09-20-2008, 07:28 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I knew a person who smoked a pack a day all his life, and never got lung cancer. I saw a guy on TV who fell out of an airplane and wasn't killed. I knew a hooker who never got pregnant. So what?
Well if your stupid enough to let someone else vote for you because of their IQ then go ahead, IQ doesn't equal common sense.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:50 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
I think a mandatory IQ test before being issued a voter registration card is a great idea. An even better idea is an IQ test for the candidates, before their name goes on a ballot.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Right now I would be happy if all voters just had to be legal U.S. citizens and we started counting the vote of those in military service.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:09 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
as to IQ test, there was a time that only landed elite voted. them days are over.
obama 08
Thanks for saying that, the time you speak of also included literacy tests and poll taxes for minorities.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Americans are ill-prepared to guide the world's most powerful democracy. Only 2 of 5 voters can name the three branches of the federal government. And 49 percent of Americans think the president has the authority to suspend the Constitution. The severity of the problem snapped into focus after Sept. 11, 2001, when polls showed that a large number of Americans knew little about the attacks and the Iraq war that followed. Americans did little to seek the truth. "As became irrefutably clear in scientific polls undertaken after 9/11...millions of Americans simply cannot fathom the twists and turns that complicated debates take.

The Ignorant American Voter - US News and World Report
Not an IQ test but a test for sure!!!!

I know people who aren't sure what COUNTY they live in!!!
I know people who can't name their own representative or state Senator!!
Or mayor!

These people should NOT be allowed to vote! Just my humble and completely correct opinion.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:24 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
at citizens, american-born or naturalized should be able to at least past the citizenship test, imo

Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I believe that the theory of democracy is tnat everyone gets one vote. I believe this should be strictly adhered to. Every person who has established de-facto residence and is subject to the the laws and the taxation has a right, even non-citizen immigrants, regardless of legal immigration status. You live yere, you get to vote. Age is a consideration, though, and I would give the voting right to every person as soon as they A) graduate from high school or B) attain the age of 20, whichever comes first. This would seat a reasonable lower limit on attainment of voring rights, and at the same time be an incentive for people to complete school and get a diploma.

By the way, I think that should be the legal drinking age, too---high school graduation or age 20. A powerful incentive.

As for the 'citizenship test', it would be way too easy for the party in power to create a test in which there were subjective answers that would favor voters of a certain political persuasion. Oh, no, no party would ever do that---would they???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies