Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 10:02 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times

Advertisements

What celeb participated in Rock the Vote and she herself wasn't even registered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 10:04 PM

201 posts, read 655,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
What celeb participated in Rock the Vote and she herself wasn't even registered?
ah, the real question is how many celebs have participated in Rock the Vote and then not actually voted themselves? (probably higher than we care to know )

Old 09-20-2008, 10:16 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenplover View Post

Which brings me to my last point- how would you feel if there was a test set up to keep you from voting? Or a fee? Or a fine? What leads people to believe that they are better than anybody else, and that their opinion is worth more?
There are a few points in your post that I would like to address if time permitted, but for now this one will do. Taking into consideration the perilous situation that this country is in, I do value the opinion of an informed, intelligent person more than I do a blockhead that is still defending this criminal administration. Time after time, it has been repeated that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11...Bush himself said it way after the fact, and yet, there are still numbskulls insisting that there was a connection. How do get through to an individual as dense as that? If a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, then America is surely up the creek. The weakest links in this country are evolution's missing links. They are ruining any chance that this place has to recover from the devestation of the last 8 years.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
I disagree with just about everything you said but this one tops it. Incentive to graduate high school is so he/she can drink? Yeah, this will work because high school kids don't drink now, right?
Not legally. Some people like to do things legally. Don't judge everybody by your own standards.

Quote:
I think it's going to be pointless to argue with this individual b'c he thinks an incentive for high school kids to graduate is to legally allow them to drink to a stupor after they get their diploma.
Some people don't drink to a stupor. Don't judge everybody by yur own standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"

How could ya cheat?...even the Republicans couldn't screw that up....
Ever hear of chads? Butterfly ballots? Diebold? Caging?

Old 09-20-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not legally. Some people like to do things legally. Don't judge everybody by your own standards.
What you are saying to kids is, "Hey, pass high school and you can drink legally!" What kind of standard is that?

I don't drink.

Last edited by foma; 09-20-2008 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-20-2008, 10:42 PM

201 posts, read 655,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
There are a few points in your post that I would like to address if time permitted, but for now this one will do. Taking into consideration the perilous situation that this country is in, I do value the opinion of an informed, intelligent person more than I do a blockhead that is still defending this criminal administration. Time after time, it has been repeated that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11...Bush himself said it way after the fact, and yet, there are still numbskulls insisting that there was a connection. How do get through to an individual as dense as that? If a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, then America is surely up the creek. The weakest links in this country are evolution's missing links. They are ruining any chance that this place has to recover from the devestation of the last 8 years.
I'm curious as to how they are ruining it if they are not even voting? Remember, that 'blockhead' is not voting, likely did not participate in the last election,and cares little about politics other than to argue about them. I should think the proper thing to do would be to convince as many of them to vote (seeing as how you know much more). At the very least, give them FACTS about candidates. I know that there was no connection, you know that there was no connection, it is widely acknowledged that there is no connection between Iraq and 9/11. Fine, if people are ignorant about what is commonly regarded as fact, I can educate them with what I know and present it to them in a way that does not offend them (I'm not going to treat them like they are stupid when in reality they may just not have the enthusiasm to go digging for the facts because they have other important matters to attend to)

Also, as far as a nation being as strong as its weakest link- we have many (and no, I'm not talking only about the uneducated). We have the people who vote based on bad information because they did not check the facts, we have undereducated, there are people who don't vote, there are people who don't know the names of their state's senators or representatives, there are people who believe that they are better than the person next door, and there are the people that can't stop to help a neighbor in need. The weakest link is not necessarily the uneducated factory workers in Tennessee and Kentucky, but rather the people that get too caught up with what benefits them the most that they forget to help their neighbor, forget that we are the UNITED States, and forget to see people as people, with unique needs and interests. Not everyone is going to agree on everything; however, we do not need our country to further evolve towards a dictatorship either. We should be educating people, rather than trying to keep them from voting.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:05 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
There is a difference between uneducated and just plain stupid. A stupid person does not want to be educated and has no intellectual curiosity. I can tell the difference within two minutes of attempting to give them the facts or the sources to fact check, into which category they fall.

Enough of being "politically correct!" It is sickening that there will be voters that will be participating in the election that are not smart enough to research or analyze facts. Hopefully these idiots will not show up to vote. I have talked to some until I was blue in the face and my patience has run out with their ineptitude. Would I feed them if they were hungry? Yes! Would I give them a coat if they were cold? Yes! But I will not forgive the utter stupidity of individuals that refuse to peel themselves away fron "American Idol" long enough to learn something of value that affects the rest of the country. They do not deserve the right to vote.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
What you are saying to kids is, "Hey, pass high school and you can drink legally!" What kind of standard is that?

I don't drink.
Exactly. You have grasped the principle perfectly. If kids want to drink, give them a way to earn the right, by demonstrating responisibility in the classroom. It's the same principle as asking voters to demonstrate responsibility.

Neither do I.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If kids want to drink, give them a way to earn the right, by demonstrating responisibility in the classroom. What's so hard about that concept? It's the same principle as asking voters to demonstrate responsibility.

Neither do I.

This conversation is getting off topic. You can respond however you like I'll give my last points. It's an absurd idea to tie graduating high school with a drinking policy, especially since it's absolutely unenforceable. "Oh no, I dropped out of high school, I have two wait 2 years before I can legally drink! Oh wait, my friend Bob graduated high school, he can buy all the liquor. Party on!" Graduating high school does not demonstrate good judgement about drinking. What about the 15, 16 year old wunderkids (or younger), you gonna let them drink after they graduate high school? The concept of tying together legally drinking alcohol and graduating high school is the most absurd idea I've ever heard because we, as a society try to prevent kids from drinking alcohol, not incentivize getting high school diplomas with it. Finally, what you are implying is there is a direct relationship with drinking alcohol and graduating high school. That makes absolutely no sense whatseover. I speculate the kids that are having a hard time passing high school probably already had their first beer and need more than a "drinking incentive" to pass high school; and the kids who fly through high school don't care to drink and if they do drink, what's it matter to them. That's my 2 cents.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 AM

Ever heard of "carding"? The high school issues them a card upon graduation. Problem solved. The number of such "wonderkids" in this country is probably in the hundreds, and I have no doubt that our geniuses in the state house can find a way to keep them from killing everybody on the highway before they even have a drivers license.

Getting back to voting, if a dropout can vote at 18, I see no reason why a high school graduate cannot vote at 17 or even 16, for the 'wonderkids". What's wrong with voting wonderkids?

I think Canada has changed their law since, but when I lived in Canada, you needed to be a Canadian citizen only to vote for federal office-holders. Non-citizens had a right to vote in local elections, which I find hard to fault, since they are locally taxed and regulated. I'm perfectly willing to let non-citizens vote in my community. I don't know why you feel you need to make such a fuss about it, and then collect their taxes and parking tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies