Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Every legal voter get's to vote.

That's one way we differ, jtur88. Viva diversity.
Not sure where you think we differ. I have repeated and repeated that everyone should be allowed to vote. The problem is defining the legal voter. Every legal voter gets to vote in North Korea, too, but there is only one legal voter.

In the 1824 election (the first for which there is a popular vote count), 3.5% of America's ten-million people voted. Assuming a 50% turnout, only about one out of 15 Americans were "legal voters".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM

142 posts, read 406,533 times
I think we need an IQ test for voting....just because i know people who know NOTHING about politics but wont vote for Obama because of his name, or because someone told them something about him.

Sorry to say this but if people had to take IQ test to vote...bush would have never got in office (oh wait a minute the election was fixed anyway) If an Iq test was given this election wouldnt even be close.

Obama 08!!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:09 PM

201 posts, read 656,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
I think we need an IQ test for voting....just because i know people who know NOTHING about politics but wont vote for Obama because of his name, or because someone told them something about him.

Sorry to say this but if people had to take IQ test to vote...bush would have never got in office (oh wait a minute the election was fixed anyway) If an Iq test was given this election wouldnt even be close.

Obama 08!!!!
So then perhaps a better suggestion would be knowledge test rather than a general vague IQ test?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
I think the people in Florida should be able to define "butterfly" and demonstrate the ability to successfully punch holes in computer cards before being permitted to cast their ballots.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:21 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
If we go to IQ testing, how long before they introduce a scoring curve to "mitigate the results of inherent cultural bias" in said test?

Then we'll get "voting quotas to level the playing field".

Then we'll get cries of "reverse discrimination".

Hell, why don't we just go to a state sponsored one party system. Forget the tests.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,532 times
I wish they would make some kind of test mandatory. There are far too many stupid and uneducated people who vote in this country. Of course they vote for the people they do because they feel they are going to get something for themselves and not for the good of their state or their country. That is what is sad.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 AM

145 posts, read 247,257 times
No doubt some kind of testing is in order here. Certainly the uninformed, ignorant cretin's vote should not count equally to that of someone with a much more developed world view. Just what that test should consist of I cannot say.

I do offer the following suggestion tho: it has to be an easy test that can be readily administered while deboarding people at train stations after everyone forms in a line: those that pass the test should be allowed to move to the voting line, the ones who fail should be given a bar of soap a towel and a ticket to the "showers" line.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:52 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talibanic View Post
No doubt some kind of testing is in order here. Certainly the uninformed, ignorant cretin's vote should not count equally to that of someone with a much more developed world view. Just what that test should consist of I cannot say.

I do offer the following suggestion tho: it has to be an easy test that can be readily administered while deboarding people at train stations after everyone forms in a line: those that pass the test should be allowed to move to the voting line, the ones who fail should be given a bar of soap a towel and a ticket to the "showers" line.
World view be damned!!! I want people to know about their own country. It makes no difference what any other country thinks about us or how we conduct our business. That is where we got off the wrong way in this country. It is not our business what other countries do and it is not their business what we do, so long as we are not attacking each other. I am not a citizen of the world. I am a citizen of the United States of America.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
(Starship Troopers)

I actually feel that we should allow only those who serve the right to vote(but are no longer serving, those in service did not yet have the right). Now before you get to upset, Heinlein's Starship Troopers novel discussed only giving those who served the right to vote but EVERYONE was allowed to serve. The principle being that if you were willing to sacrifice the time/effort and face the danger of giving service to your country then you have earned the right to help decided who would lead us politically.

I know some of you are about to scream but think about this, who is better qualified to decided something as important as who will be president of the USA:

1. Someone who has spent four years of their life after graduating from High School in service to his/her country (This could be Armed Forces, Coast Guard, Peace Corp, or heck say FEMA, Homeland Security, etc.).

2. Someone who hasn't even finished High School, was arrested a couple of times as a teenager, and who has never done anything for his/her country.

With our current system both have the right to vote, but I feel we need a way to make people earn that right. You have to take test to drive a car don't you? Driving isn't a right because it is a task that done improperly can cause harm. Way I see it voting is another task that if done improperly can cause a lot more harm.

Maybe I will make that my new saying: Make them earn a right to vote!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 AM

145 posts, read 247,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
World view be damned!!! I want people to know about their own country. It makes no difference what any other country thinks about us or how we conduct our business. That is where we got off the wrong way in this country. It is not our business what other countries do and it is not their business what we do, so long as we are not attacking each other. I am not a citizen of the world. I am a citizen of the United States of America.
Yeah, your way of thinking is great ..for 1846.

But currently in 2008 we're having this little thingy called "globalization" going on. You might have heard of it mentioned in passing. It means that frontiers have vanished and that what happens in one corner of the globe can resound all the way to the other side.

Hence, knowing exactly what is going-on on the other side of the globe would be a definite advantage don't you think?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies