Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:08 PM

564 posts, read 892,502 times

Advertisements

I still have a hard time believing this-so who gets the blame for this? The parents, the teachers, the students, or is it the dumbing down of america? All or most??

CNN recently reported a rather sensationalistic figure: 88 percent of 8th graders in the District of Columbia cannot read. Although this statistic is a bit off the mark, it’s difficult to say whether the truth of the matter is more comforting or depressing.
Literacy, as a concept, has no real objective measure. The CIA World Factbook says the United States is 99 percent literate, although its methodology makes no distinction between a linguistics professor and someone who can only recognize a few hundred words. The statement on CNN was evidently based on the most recent National Assessment of Educational Progress report (known colloquially as “The Nation’s Report Card”) where the data reflected D.C. 8th graders who read below a “proficient” rating. But what does all this mean?

UWire Opinion | Literacy rate needs to be addressed (http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=3119104 - broken link)

Oh my the charts are worse than I could Imagine

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/states/profile.asp (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 12:03 AM

145 posts, read 247,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
CNN recently reported a rather sensationalistic figure: 88 percent of 8th graders in the District of Columbia cannot read. Although this statistic is a bit off the mark, it’s difficult to say whether the truth of the matter is more comforting or depressing.
UWire Opinion | Literacy rate needs to be addressed (http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=3119104 - broken link)

Oh my the charts are worse than I could Imagine

NAEP -- State Profile: AL (http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/states/profile.asp - broken link)
That's why it's home to our center of government. These kids are ready to move into congressional positions immediately.

I believe DC's motto should be:
"Come for the Stupidity, Stay for the Career".

Old 09-22-2008, 12:15 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talibanic View Post
That's why it's home to our center of government. These kids are ready to move into congressional positions immediately.

I believe DC's motto should be:
"Come for the Stupidity, Stay for the Career".
I believe that you might be right about that!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:06 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Wha? DC's schools are managed by "blacks" and the school board is voted in by "blacks" and is paid for in taxes by "blacks", so why there would be a need to bring racism into this is beyond me.

The results are poor for many reasons... economics has a large part in the emphasis that parents place on education and the resources they have to dedicate to their child's education. But even that alone doesn't explain everything.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
88% of posters at this site cannot write.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
They can't read "proficiently"...? If you believe that 88% can't read proficiently, I have some magic beans to sell to you... perhaps you should all take a note, to not believe everything you read or statistics that are derived from it... maybe I will make a blog and claim the world is actually a starship... perhaps they should report that 88% of Americans believe whatever they read or hear...

Old 09-22-2008, 04:03 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They can't read "proficiently"...? If you believe that 88% can't read proficiently, I have some magic beans to sell to you... perhaps you should all take a note, to not believe everything you read or statistics that are derived from it... maybe I will make a blog and claim the world is actually a starship... perhaps they should report that 88% of Americans believe whatever they read or hear...
Have you ever been to DC?! Seeing is believing. I agree that statistics can be skewed any direction the writer wants to report. However, if you spend any time in the District you'd start to see that there is also a possibility that the number is not that far off the mark.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Va-Cat... I can assure you that 9 out of 10 students can read... based on their assumption only 1 student can read proficiently and nobody can read above that... If I find two student that can read proficiently... then their statistics is bunk and yes, I have been to DC many, many, many times... DC may have a problematic school system but I wouldn't say 90% of them are retarded either...

Old 09-22-2008, 04:42 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Va-Cat... I can assure you that 9 out of 10 students can read... based on their assumption only 1 student can read proficiently and nobody can read above that... If I find two student that can read proficiently... then their statistics is bunk and yes, I have been to DC many, many, many times... DC may have a problematic school system but I wouldn't say 90% of them are retarded either...
My sister taught in a low income area about 2.5 hours south of DC and while it wasn't 8th grade (4th grade to be exact), she was surprised to see how most of the students didn't have any reading skills. They were struggling with the "See spot run" type of books.

She increased test scores significantly for her class because she was a renegade and didn't follow the lesson plan alone, she supplemented the teaching with more of a reenforcement of the basics. But instead of looking at her work to see how the other teachers could change, they simply saw her as a phenomena... something that wasn't likely repeated by others.

Unfortunately with the structure of pay with the teacher unions, there's no real incentive to go above and beyond other than for personal gratification. Granted some teachers do care, but many get bitter after a few years and leave the profession altogether. I don't blame them... if I got paid the same amount as my coworkers who don't produce, I wouldn't stick around very long either, no matter how rewarding the job.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:06 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
I'm not surprised. I'd imagine kids in our cesspool of a capitol have alot more pressing things to deal with than reading & writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies