Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:02 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Phoenix, is the MOST boring LARGE city in America, NYC doesn't even come close to being boring. The city of Miami (not talking about Miami Beach) is another lifeless boring place. I don't even know how anybody even gets shot there. You never see a SOUL walking around!
Maybe that's why no one is walking around, lmao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Hate to break it too you, but Berlin/London/Paris/Tokyo is played out as well.
I have friends who moved to Berlin, they all say it's a nonstop party.

Quote:
Oh, and BTW, spare us the "I dress funny so I'm so different" speech. Frankly, when I see a kid who speaks proper english and wears J Crew, I think it's rebellious
When did I ever say anything about being "rebellious"? I'm a romantacist, not a "rebel". I find beauty in mountains and Victorian furniture...the new New Yorker only sees beauty in an SUV or a pair of Guicci sunglasses. I like finding new artist I have never heard of...the New New Yorkers shun art in favor of "the IT song"...I could go on.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:06 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,465 times
So, because not everyone's into the punk scene like you are they are boring and lifeless?

That's a harsh generalization.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 PM

205 posts, read 507,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
..the new New Yorker only sees beauty in an SUV or a pair of Guicci sunglasses.

lol. i agree with you on that. Im really tired of seen people wearing the huge freakin goggles on thier face advertising GUCCI. Especially in the Subways or at NIGHT. Its called SUNglasses.

Thier is always a trend....human nature i guess.

I think what shes trying to say is that NYC had everything and now its all trying to be the same one thing??

Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
goth and punk went out of style a long time ago
Tell that to all the people I saw walking around Austin in black getting ready to go to a death rock concert. It's not dead...just a regional thing, and NYC is NOT that region.

Quote:
And how is goth and punk any less phony than the hipsters?
When did I say anything about a "hipster"? I'm talking about the Sex and the City wannabees and the Yuppies. If you go out to have fun, you're for real, if you go out to be seen, you're fake.

Quote:
and those people were also just following a trend

so there is no reason to criticize, but they are the same
Following a trend is not the same as being a part of a subculture. Goth has been around since the early 80s, punk since mid 70s. It's not "trendy" to listen to Etherial music or hardcore, it's being a part of subculture.

Me, I am not goth, punk, or anything else. I'm just a general romanticist...around NYC, longing for the past, future, or a time and a place that never was in art of music or books is something that gets a scowl from the fashion victims and a snort while they cross the street while talking on their Iphone and clutching their $15,000 handbag.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
So, because not everyone's into the punk scene like you are they are boring and lifeless?

That's a harsh generalization.

No...it's because there is no "scene" worth a salt that does not involve people going out to be SEEN and not having fun because, as we all know, having fun went out of style in the 80s.

That's not a generalization, it's a statement of fact about NYC.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
No...it's because there is no "scene" worth a salt that does not involve people going out to be SEEN and not having fun because, as we all know, having fun went out of style in the 80s.

That's not a generalization, it's a statement of fact about NYC.
It's not a fact. If you think that the majority, or every single New Yorker is like that, then you're sadly mistaken.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 PM

629 posts, read 901,081 times
Who really CARES about GOTH or PUNK? A 20 something TRYING to PROVE how ANTI-ESTABLISHMENT they are? How many 50 yr old's are running around with MOHAWKS? To me, THOSE people are living in the past! Trends change, they ALWAYS have and ALWAYS will. What's cool today, ain't tommorrow. GOTH, LOL LOL LOL

Old 09-21-2008, 07:22 PM

629 posts, read 901,081 times
P.S. Go to Seattle or Portland, and you'll be in GOTH heaven!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
How did the goth subculture come about?

Do vampires, and witches really exists?

How many of those "punks" are real street punks

How many of them grew up in rough nabes

Or are they from suburbs and then just started listening to punk music and become badass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies