Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Dems/Libs feed off the empoverished and minorities with the facade that they're trying to "help" them, when in fact, most of their policies keep them down. Wasn't it LBJ who started the great War on Poverty? Been fighting that, what, 60 years or so? Yeah...how's that working for you?
40 years and so far it seems to have accomplished what it set out to do: capture the black vote indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Thank you one black man for speaking for me

And your assumpitons are based on what?
What part in ANY of that post was an "assumption" and not based upon fact?

Please tell me.

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Being black myself (no one knew that before lol), I can say that most blacks vote for democrats because they think its the "black" thing to do and don't want to be alienated or look like a "sellout" to the majority of poor and middle class blacks.
What area of the country are your referencing? Provide backup statistics.

The reality is, these rich black folks got rich because more often that not, they applied more republican/free-market principles (hard work, personal responsibility etc) than democratic ones.

Provide more data on this reality? Are you taking this from your opinion, your research or any other statistical data? If so, please provide.

Atleast the rapper scarface (republican) is honest about his real affiliation. (
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vec_SDrBdI) Scareface opinion i respect, he did not speak for "most or provide reality points".

Alot of blacks, especially poor blacks, also unfortunately have an "entitlement" and "victim" mentality that plays right into the democratic party platform. So its a perfect match. Lots of these folks have the idea that society is somehow stacked against them so there's no point in trying to succeed or get an education. The numbers for black business ownership and college graduation rates in America are dismal. Really hard to look at if your black person.
Typical rhetoric, considering this could be seen in the "poor" community as a whole. Travel to Mississippi or Alabama to name two states that have a mixture of races struggling. But then everyone believes America is black and white.

Also I will also say the more educated the black person is, the more likely he/she is to become republican or have libertarian ideas. Walter Williams, Larry Elder and Thomas Sowell immediately come to mind. All graduated from prestigious universities and have advanced degrees. All are libertarian.
do you have statistics on the educated black registered republicans?

I understand giving your opinion or making statements based on your experience or starting out with "I believe, or its my opinion", but when someone anyone choose to speak for an entire group of people as if its fact, that's what i take issues with. No matter if its the black, hispanic or white community, democrat or republican.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Please tell me.

Thanks.

Please provide the data you use to consider your post "fact".

Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Please tell me.

Thanks.

Please provide the data you use to consider your post "fact". In another one of your thread on the statistic of blacks and their votes, you indicated 90% of blacks vote democrat. I'm still waiting for the data used for this analogy, it would kind of contradict the "fact" that you've stated in this post.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,295 times
Quote:

Please tell me.

Thanks.
You act as if your experience speaks for all blacks, which they do not.

" All Blacks vote because its the "black" thing to do"

Uh no. I am a college educated woman who can thing and read for herself. I vote based upon what I know and what I feel is right...not because of what "Pinky" in Alabama thinks.

Also, I live in Prince George's county, MD which is one of the richest counties for blacks in America. This county is almost all democrats.

So no, not ALL rich, educated blacks turn republican.

Those were your assumptions, not based on factual evidence at all.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Fact is, (the fact your trying to evade it with sillyness seems) blacks who are affiliated with republicans or have conservative views are viewed with distrust and called "sellouts".
Quite the contrary, only conservatives who hold views which are antithetical to positions held by the larger community are deemed sellouts and rightfully so.

Quote:
They think when they talk about black problems they are "talking down" to black people.
Thats funny since the Nation of Islam has made its reputation within the black community by openly scolding African Americans for counter productive behavior. It is the how, the why and the where of the scolding that has great impact. If Thomas Sowell, Walter E. Williams spent more time in the hood arguing their points than appearing on stage with known reactionaries more of their criticism would be taken to heart.

Quote:
What facts? Please by all means display them here for all to see. Thanks.
I provide the political affiliation of the 20 wealthiest African Americans, what have you provided? I can lead a blind donkey to Lenscrafters but I can make it see.

Quote:
I've already explained why many wealthy blacks support democrats. It really has nothing to do with the personal philosophy but how they want to be seen by other blacks. They know the mindset it takes to succeed.
You have explained why you think or more to the point wish, that wealthy blacks support democrats but have not provided one iota of evidence. I would argue that amongst the 20 most wealthy African Americans not one is dependent upon what African Americans think and are far more dependent upon being acceptable to white Americans than blacks.

Quote:
P.S. I forgot Condoleeza Rice and Colon Powell.
Glad you brought them up,

In the case of Rice, despite her hand in the disastrous policies of the Bush administration, African Americans polled found that she had a 34% approval rating amongst African Americans and a 41% approval rating amongst African American men at a time when her boss, George Bush had an approval rating of 2% amongst African Americans. 45% and 52%, women and men respectively, still deemed her to be a part of the African American community.

As for Powell, despite his abysmal support amongst white liberals (and for good reason) prior to his endorsement of Obama, held a 72% approval rating (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/42_see_powell_endorsement_of_obama_as_possible - broken link) amongst African Americans.

As for your argument that education can be correlated with conservatism, that is also wishful thinking on your part and contradicted by facts. As I pointed out earlier, and which you have ignored, voter participation is negatively correlated with income, the lower the income, the lower the rate of voter participation. So unless you are prepared to argue, counter to all prevailing evidence that income is not correlated to education, be my guest. You will be the first to do so. I would further argue that African American social conservatism is highly correlated to income, yet in a perversely opposite manner, with higher levels of social conservatism at lower levels of income, see African American opposition to gay and lesbian issues. So you premise that the higher the educational or income level the higher the rate of support of the Republican party is a fantasy.

Having said that, I will make the same argument that I made to Republican strategist in 2000, with the right candidate (in 2000) they could begin to open a large wedge between African Americans and the Democratic Party based upon social issues, however the subsequent election of George Bush and the current take over by the Republiklan faction that door has been shut for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Thank you one black man for speaking for me

And your assumpitons are based on what?
Oh, my god, How did I miss that!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
40 years and so far it seems to have accomplished what it set out to do: capture the black vote indefinitely.
Of course the assumption that the programs of the Great Society were a gift from the great white father rather than the demands of the African American community and its allies.

It also denies the meaning of Johnson's prescient remark upon signing the the Civil Rights Act of 1964, when he said "We have lost the South for a generation,"

How the South was won - The Boston Globe

Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You know, a few months ago before I stumbled across this forum (I use to only go on the forum for my state), I would have been shocked beyond words to hear the racist rantings that some people mistake for thought. I honestly thought that, if people like this still existed, they were all confined to small KKK cells located in places cut off from modern inventions....like schools. But over the past few months I've come to the frightening conclusion that there really are people out there in mainstream America that still think this way. I just want to assure any young folks out there who are black that not every person who is white is stupid and don't let those who are define who you are in your mind. You know you are better than that.
Welcome to (the) Florida (thread)! The rules are different here. I bolded the comment in your post that I most enjoyed. You are so right. And, yes, unfortunately, while not the majority, there is a very vocal minority here who seem proud of their ignorance.

And I would also add to your post that, just as every person who is white is not stupid, neither is every successful Black person a republican. When it comes down to it, we are all whom we choose to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies