U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,185,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Take the bad with the good. Crazed rapists are lucky they get away with just a simple execution, if I had my way they would be tortured for weeks.
It's a comforting thing to know that you have no influence upon our judicial system then. Law is an area of intelligence and reason, two things you clearly are lacking in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:05 PM

25,106 posts, read 36,515,923 times
Sleep tight Troy!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM

3,144 posts, read 7,747,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I assume that you would be willing to sacrifice your life to preserve the death penalty. Picture it, you are pulling out of a McDonalds after chowing down on Big Mac and some guys are standing outside arguing, one guy shoots the other guy and then flees on foot, you are shocked, the cops come a minute later, the witnesses inside the McDonalds only remember seeing you leave and then they hear gunshots moments later. No physical evidence at the scene, only their word.

You are found guilty, sentenced to die, leaving your family husbandless, fatherless, whatever. You are fine with it, you tell your family, "Don't worry, it's for the greater good".

Right?
I would be forced to rely on the justice system and I could only attempt to prove my innocence to the best of my capacity. Like I said, the death penalty has nothing to do with the how the evidence unfolds. I accept, in that situation, the system has complete control over my destiny. If I die, I die... life for everyone else goes on and I enter the next phase....

Also, what makes me any more important than anyone else to think that I am absolved of any wrongful accusation? There were many before me that were killed wrongfully, what makes me so damn special??? NOTHING! There will never be a perfect system, get used to it, nothing is perfect everything is in a constant state of change and improvement.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:07 PM

3,144 posts, read 7,747,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
It's a comforting thing to know that you have no influence upon our judicial system then. Law is an area of intelligence and reason, two things you clearly are lacking in.
Don't be so comforted, I could preside as juror over one of your trials someday.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,613,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I'm not really enthusiastic about the death penalty, seeing as we're one of the few nations left on Earth that still uses it, but there are greater tragedies in the world than putting to death people who aren't exactly the standard bearers of society.
When you put someone to death, you become the standard bearer of your society.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:18 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,820,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
It most certainly does preserve it because if he weren't being executed then the death penalty would be diminishing. The justice system will get better or it will get worse regardless of whether there is or is not a death penalty. The death penalty is just one of many destinations that the justice system reaches. To remove destinations is foolish, to change how you arrive at a destination is completely different, I simply prefer the latter of the two.
No, if he weren't being executed then the death penalty would be relegated (as it should be) only to those who are truly guilty of the worst of crimes. If he is executed then the death penalty will remain a faulty and unreliable tool used to make folks like yourself feel safer.

You might want to remind yourself what the terms "justice" actually means.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:25 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,972,552 times
I don't know anything about this case, but I do not think anyone should ever be executed without irrefutable physical evidence, DNA, and eyewitness testimony. Even then, I do not see how killing someone benefits our justice system. It certainly won't prevent crime or deter a man from committing a violent act.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:37 PM

145 posts, read 232,449 times
Wouldn't it be a MUCH greater punishment to deprive this person of their freedom FOREVER by jailing him without the possibility of parole for the remainder of his natural life?.

Executing the scumbag is the EASY way out for him. PLUS if it turns out later on that he was innocent of the crime -thanks to some new DNA evidence popping up for example- then there is still time to right an injustice before it's committed.

To those of you who would object to keeping him alive based on the cost of housing & feeding such a douchebag I respond: let him work it off somehow by producing something useful that can be marketed in order to recoup the expenses.

You're all welcome. Tune in next time when I solve the global warming crisis...

Old 09-22-2008, 03:58 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,982,525 times
In the story on the link seven people say they lied. And we are now going to believe them. How do we know their second story is not a lie?

Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,820,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
In the story on the link seven people say they lied. And we are now going to believe them. How do we know their second story is not a lie?
We don't. But I don't want this man to be put to death on what might be the truth or maybe a lie. Eye witness accounts are usually considered to be not very reliable in the first place, but when it's a matter of life or death, I say we must error on the side of caution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies