U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:29 PM

271 posts, read 548,062 times

Advertisements

DO IT!!! Stick it in his arm!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 PM

8,648 posts, read 16,015,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
We don't. But I don't want this man to be put to death on what might be the truth or maybe a lie. Eye witness accounts are usually considered to be not very reliable in the first place, but when it's a matter of life or death, I say we must error on the side of caution.
That may be true of one eye witness but seven!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,822,975 times
It's either that they all felt pressure to testify that Troy Davis was the murderer or they all now feel some desire to let a guilty man free. My opinion is that they most likely pointed out the wrong man due to some kind of pressure that they were under in the first place. It doesn't make much sense to me that all of these people would suddenly feel the need to take back their sworn testimony for the heck of it.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 PM

24,661 posts, read 35,687,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
You really believe this? You must be sheltered beyond all hope if you really stick to what you have just said... here is your chance to "recant". I would rather have my family peacefully executed, on accident... than some crazed, raping murderer having his way with them. I am not saying thats what the type of man Troy is but his potential sacrifice is for the better good.
This is one of the most insane posts I have ever seen. Why don't you sacrifice yourself for the better good just to ensure that the possibly innocent Troy Davis doesn't die?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 PM

24,661 posts, read 35,687,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Killing an innocent person doesn't preserve the death penalty, it damages the foundation of our justice system. This is the very reason why many people are opposed to the death penalty and even those who are supportive of the right of the government to put people to death must question how it can be justified in cases where there is any reasonable doubt as to the guilt or innocence.

Calling this a sacrifice for the greater good is ignoring what the greater good actually is, the ability of all of us to rely on the justice system to ensure our freedoms and rights.
It doesn't just damage our justice system; it damages our very society.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,454,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
There is NO greater tragedy than executing an innocent man. Anyone who would accept this should ask themselves how they would feel if their daughter,son, or spouse would be executed for a crime they did not commit. If there is any doubt wether the person is guilty, a person should never be killed by the government.

I agree with you. After reading this forum for the past couple of months I thought nothing I read on here could shock me but the responses to this post have shocked me silly. I can not believe, I don't want to believe, I need not to believe that there are actually human beings walking around using up oxygeon that truly believe that the execution of an innocent person is just no big deal and something we just need to accept....and just tell ourselves that his life wasn't worth much anyhow. Is this what America has become? Is this what "with liberty and justice for all" has come to mean? Has America finally and totally lost its soul? God forgive us. We know not what we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies