Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times

Advertisements

Davart is right. Call the hospital and tell them YOU are paying, NOT the insurance company, and you want a better rate. There are always rates for insurance, and rates for self-pay.
If the first person tells you no, keep going until you find somebody to reduce the amount. And don't stop at the first reduction! Keep telling them it's too high!
And next time, DON"T go to an emergency room. 5 years ago, just walking in the door cost $500. I'm sure it's more now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
By law that can't turn you away.I bet if I had no insurance they would have charged me $100 bucks or something cash after haggling.

I probably would have paid less having no insurance.

Yep, cash is king. The Insurance industry has driven up the cost of everything.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:11 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
You are an idiot for going to an EMERGENCY ROOM for a toothache... if you have a toothache there ARE dentists on call for their practice.... Its about time you knew that Emergency Rooms are not replacements for a doctor's office or in your case, a dentist's office... and yes, it is EXPENSIVE to operate an Emergency Room... I can't understand how many people go to the Emergency Room for a headache, a cold, or even an earache... that's what doctor's offices and clinics are for... they are usually not life-threatening emergencies....

Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times
Can't wait till we have socialized health care. Then it will be free...but you'll have to wait 4 months.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
It's called capitalism. Wait until you are injured and some do-gooder calls an ambulance to come and pick you up and drive you a few blocks to the hospital. If you're really lucky, you will get an ambulance company that charges less than $1,000 for that service, but only that cheap if you are in some little farm town in Nebraska. You think the reason people go into the ambulance business is to benefit patnents who need to be taken to a hospital. This is neo-naive. They exist to make money. To make money really fast. That's why they have red ights and sirens.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
The hospital has to make their money somehow when the person to your right and the person to your left came into the ER with no money and no insurance to pay for their bill. Duh lionking, everybody knows that.

I hate ERs and hope I never have to go into one. It is absolutely ridiculous how much you are charged. Even though I have insurance, when you get your explanation of benefits and see what the total charge was you just think it's no wonder our medical system is in disarray.

See if there are any Urgent Care hospitals in your area. From what I hear, they are not as expensive. Don't know that for a fact but that's what I hear.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Can't wait till we have socialized health care. Then it will be free...but you'll have to wait 4 months.
That is a lie, and you know it is a lie. You do not want socialized health care in your country, and there is no lie that you will not tell, for the purpose of achieving your selfish and greedy political objective.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 PM

Dang, lots of harsh comments. I don't think it's our place to judge. Just assume the man had to go. Calling someone an idiot is a gross disrespect of common courtesy. You're right folks, it's silly to go for a toothache, headache, or whatever ailments that aren't considered emergencies but you don't know the dude's situation. Headaches could be a sign of something worse, like a tumor growing in your brain and you may need immediate care for whatever reason; a toothache could possible mean an infection that has spread to other parts of your body, like your heart, which is known to happen. Give the guy a breek, eesh.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
ER costs money sooner we get universal health the better, undocumented people pretty much rely 100% on ER for medical services at tax payer expense.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
and $700 for a tray ... and $350 for a Dr I never saw, he was just on duty and other assorted charges.
My dad got charged $350 for a doctor's visit while he was in the hospital recuperating from gallbladder surgery. He told me he doesn't recall the visit. Turned out, my dad was ASLEEP when the doctor came in, didn't even talk to him, and the doctor still charged my dad for the visit. UNBELIEVABLE.

Even worse, the burden of proof was ON US!! I had to waste time to go to medical records, find my dad's records and PROVE that the date that the doctor charged us $350 showed he didn't actually physically talk to my dad. I couldn't believe it. You can only imagine how pissed I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies