Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 AM

702 posts, read 2,295,084 times

Advertisements

As if the Big Box era wasn't bad enough.

Just yesterday I heard a second instance of a small, local merchant buying merchandise at Walmart and reselling it in their own business because it's cheaper at Walmart than it is from their distributors.

This instance was a local gun shop buying ammo at Walmart and marking it up slightly to sell at his own store. Previously, my local natural food cooperative was buying cases of Tazo herbal tea from Walmart and reselling it at twice the price. So much for supporting local business.

In the past year or so, thrift stores in my area have started carrying bins and bins of this worthless plastic crap - picture frames, little table lamps, kitchen gadgets, toys, etc. When I asked where it came from they said Walmart just gives them all their junk that doesn't sell. Walmart is so overflowing with wealth and cheap quality products, it's nothing to just dump their extra inventory.

So now you can shun the Big Box businesses all you want by not giving them business - but you still might be supporting them indirectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 01:26 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
A couple of years ago there was a similar article that bicycles in WM were selling at lower costs than what it cost mom-and-pops to buy. Tragic as it is, this is the "free market" in action. The mom-and-pop will sell things at a higher price to people who want the convenience of not going to a big box store. Based on my experience, especially in tough economic times, people will buy cheaper products provided the quality is about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies