Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times

Advertisements

I'll agree that actions speak louder than words. Bypassing FISA courts really speaks of a lack of respect for the Constitution. But let's be honest, how much of what the Congress passes is Constitutional? A majority of the clowns we have as elected officials have no respect for it either... so let's throw the bunch out on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:14 AM

214 posts, read 288,016 times
To: Nomander

As the Tufts University professor wrote in CounterPunch, three witnesses have confirmed that Bush made the statement. Of course, the evidence would have to be circumstantial because it wasn’t an official press event. If so many people have corroborated this comment about the Constitution, in highly visible arenas, it makes sense that Bush would have denied having said it. Where is the denial? What sources can you provide?

A related issue here is that I never revealed my personal views, about which you appear to making some assumptions. In my posting, I only cited the quote to expand the context of the discussion. In addition, the response was made to a request from another participant (KantLockeMeIn). The suggestion was to check it for yourself, to your own satisfaction.

I provided a reference; I never took a position on the topic

Old 09-28-2008, 02:50 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobodog View Post

As the Tufts University professor wrote in CounterPunch, three witnesses have confirmed that Bush made the statement. Of course, the evidence would have to be circumstantial because it wasn’t an official press event. If so many people have corroborated this comment about the Constitution, in highly visible arenas, it makes sense that Bush would have denied having said it. Where is the denial? What sources can you provide?

A related issue here is that I never revealed my personal views, about which you appear to making some assumptions. In my posting, I only cited the quote to expand the context of the discussion. In addition, the response was made to a request from another participant (KantLockeMeIn). The suggestion was to check it for yourself, to your own satisfaction.

I provided a reference; I never took a position on the topic
That's not evidence. That is assumptive subjective reasoning to come to a conclusion. The fact that he did not deny it does not make the statement true. It is a logical fallacy to support that claim in that manner.

As for me coming down hard on you, it has nothing to do with your "personal" position on the issue, It is more of the case that there are numerous cases of unfounded slander out there and they ride the backbone of hoping people will not ask questions and just "believe" it is true.

Having three witnesses that claim this is not evidence unless those witnesses are willing to identify themselves. They don't identify the witnesses, they merely claim three "aids" verified it.

It would be like me saying that I have witnesses that work with you that claim they heard you say that you want to kill some people. I can't name who they are, just that they work near you, but you just trust me, this is true and I think you should seek some help before you harm someone.

Its not evidence, its not fact, it to be honest is nothing short of slander.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
The real problem is in the Reid interrogation method.

We have a SC case coming up that I hope will be the beg. of the end for that.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
The real problem is in the Reid interrogation method.

We have a SC case coming up that I hope will be the beg. of the end for that.
Is that a "Spremee Court", or "South Carolina" case? Does "beg." mean "beginning?

A link to identify the case would be helpful.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:50 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you think this is a live show, in which everything they do is shown, and nobody knows they are on candid camera? Or are there producers and editors who are creating a finished product in which the appearance is somewhat they way they want it to be? I've never seen the show, but I would anticipate watching it with the same misgivings that I have when I start to watch the "news". I.e., what I'm seeing is a reflection of somebody's agenda.
No..This is not a live show by any means and I'm sure a lot was/is edited.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:17 PM

214 posts, read 288,016 times
I respect your right, to your own opinion.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobodog View Post
I respect your right, to your own opinion.
I am not stating an opinion. What I have stated concerning your claim is a quantifiable fact. The claim you posted is a fallacy, it is not supported in the slightest.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:51 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I'm watching the show First 48 on A&E and I'm amazed at how these knuckleheads go down to the station and are interrogated--even though the police sometimes don't have enough evidence to charge them. I'm glad these knuckleheads are being taken off the street but why in the hell do they talk to the police.

All you have to say is "I want a lawyer."

You have nothing to gain by talking to the police.
1st off criminals are not very smart but on the other hand sometimes if they give infprmation the DA cuts them a break on their charges, most people who are arrested were arrested for a reason, if a person is innocent they are not going to admit or give up any information because they won't have any to give. Wheb a cop gives you the right to remain silent it's a good idea to do just that.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The cop does not "give you the right" ro remain silkent until you are placed under arrest. The cop, trained to use fear and intimidation, does not disclose that you have that right until he decides to arrest you. What he does not tell you is that everything you have already said can and will be used against you (but, of course, never be used in your favor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies