Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:38 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It's a sad commentary on our society that Anna Nicole Smith is deemed more newsworthy than Elie Wiesel, just as it was a sad comment on our society that the death of Nicole Brown Simpson was deemed more newsworthy than the death of Peter Cushing (who died the same day, albeit of old age)
I have to be honest -- I didn't know who Elie Wiesel was until this thread. I've never even heard the name before. I HAVE heard of Anna Nicole Smith (who hasn't?). Maybe it's just a reflection of our screwed up American priorities?

Secondly, I don't think it is possible to discuss anti-semitism without mentioning Israel. A lot of people just don't see a distinction between Jewish people and the state of Israel. (I don't really get this because you can convert to the Jewish religion but that will never make you an Israeli!)

Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I didn't say you were racist, but I've read plenty of things (yes, from YOU ) on the immigration threads that made me shake my head... and you always jump in with a certain point of view, whenever it's an issue of race/heritage. Anyway, I'd like to keep this thread on-topic, and that was my main point toward you...
Yes, you DID. Again trying to weasel out of one of your comments. Since we are on opposing sides of the illegal alien issue, I guess you would 'shake your head' at my remarks. BUT I have never said anything racist or prejudicial about any ethnic group.

Please cite the posts I made where I said something racist or prejudicial about a group.

As for staying on topic, MoMark's post to you was NOT on topic. My original post WAS on topic and no one took offense but you. You are the instigator, not me.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:47 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
James, I asked that your other posts be removed and I shall do the same with this.

It is totally inappropriate.

I don't want to antagonize you, but you really push my buttons--you are an out and out anti-semite and continue to toss these little cookies around--unfetted.

You are the fraud, my man, not Mr. Wiesel!

[quote=James T;362755]Elie Weasel is a fraud:

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-13-2007 at 09:43 AM..

Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Very good points, cil.

It's a pity people can't take their baggage elsewhere--somewhere on a rolling chart outside in the wind!

Chomsky & Co also need to sort more and say less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I've read Norman Finkelstein before, and do not disagree with every last thing he says. He is Noam Chomsky's protege. Leftie students like to quote Chomsky and Finkelstein and wring their hands over those troublesome Jews. IMHO Chomsky is a bright man but has some issues of his own--he can produce quite a tempest in an academic teapot.
But James T, I don't think you posted Elie Wiesel is a Fraud to discuss Wiesel (and I couldn't care less that he lives in a nice Manhattan apartment--good for him, I say).
That link is a thinly disguised pro-Palestinian article. There is a place to discuss that kind of stuff, but this thread is not it.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, you DID. Again trying to weasel out of one of your comments. Since we are on opposing sides of the illegal alien issue, I guess you would 'shake your head' at my remarks. BUT I have never said anything racist or prejudicial about any ethnic group.

Please cite the posts I made where I said something racist or prejudicial about a group.

As for staying on topic, MoMark's post to you was NOT on topic. My original post WAS on topic and no one took offense but you. You are the instigator, not me.
Sorry, but I'm not the one who took it off-topic... immigration and Israeli politics have little/nothing to do with Wiesel, no matter how it's rationalized. As for calling you "racist", no I did not - I said you have some prejudiced views, which doesn't mean you are racist. Heck, I have my own prejudiced views about certain things, but I'm usually willing to admit it!

Anyway, I'm not going to turn this into a flame war, but obviously you said something that rubbed me the wrong way... I'm not an instigator, as even MoMark pointed out (by saying I'm usually too diplomatic). And I've had plenty of nice conversations with people on the other side of issues, so that's not my problem either. Maybe it's a condescending attitude toward me (and others), or simply one comment that you made way back... I don't have the time to read every one of your posts, but I'm sure something must've ticked me off. And yes I did briefly confuse you with another poster, for which I apologized, but now I'm 100% clear on who's who.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:34 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I have to be honest -- I didn't know who Elie Wiesel was until this thread. I've never even heard the name before. I HAVE heard of Anna Nicole Smith (who hasn't?). Maybe it's just a reflection of our screwed up American priorities?
That is very sad (nothing against you, just society)... I know his work well, mainly because of the simple fact that I'm Jewish, and therefore was exposed to more Jewish & Holocaust literature. We read at least one book of this type every year in Sunday School, including works by Chaim Potok ("The Chosen"), Wiesel, Isaac Bashevis Singer, and Anne Frank. We even spent a year studying Holocaust history, which included hearing survivors speak about their experiences. I think this should be important for ALL people to study, so we don't forget their stories... soon there won't be anyone left to speak, and it's necessary to keep history from repeating itself. As we say on Holocaust Remembrance Day, "Yad Vashem" - "Never Forget".

Quote:
Secondly, I don't think it is possible to discuss anti-semitism without mentioning Israel. A lot of people just don't see a distinction between Jewish people and the state of Israel. (I don't really get this because you can convert to the Jewish religion but that will never make you an Israeli!)
Actually, converts are still allowed to become citizens under the "Law of Return"... which we actually discussed recently on another thread. Here's the info. I posted on there, which shows that a convert is still considered Jewish in Israel: http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive...%20Nationality
There's an Orthodox Rabbi who's trying to change the law, but as I said on the other thread, it's probably not going to happen - and just another attempt by the Orthodox community to shut out Reform Jews & converts.

As for your other comments, I do realize it's hard to keep Israel out of the conversation... but that's exactly the problem, and what leads to much of anti-Semitism. People automatically equate all Jews with Israel, and assume we're all "Zionists", therefore taking out their anger on us. I saw it WAY too much following 9/11, where they were blaming Jews for the attacks. Unfortunately that ends up hurting all of us, even if we don't necessarily support Israel's actions. I can't even begin to count how many times this happens to me, even in the most innocent ways... like asking for opinions on the situation, assuming I'll be an expert and/or supporter, simply because I'm a Jew. I love Israel, but wouldn't call myself a Zionist, and certainly would not claim to be an expert. Sorry, now I'm ranting off-topic, but this is an issue that's obviously close to my heart.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 AM

652 posts, read 2,803,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
James, I asked that your other posts be removed and I shall do the same with this.

It is totally inappropriate.

I don't want to antagonize you, but you really push my buttons--you are an out and out anti-semite and continue to toss these little cookies around--unfetted.

You are the fraud, my man, not Mr. Wiesel!
In other words, simply because you don't agree with my post, you believe it's inappropriate and should be deleted ?.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2007 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: Offensive.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 AM

I believe I answered you in the post you quoted!

Perhaps if you read it carefully, you'll understand my reasons for asking to have your posts deleted from this thread.

All are welcome to post on TOPIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
In other words, simply because you don't agree with my post, you believe it's inappropriate and should be deleted ?.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 PM

652 posts, read 2,803,690 times
The topic of the thread is Weisel, as was the topic of my posts.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:59 PM

The topic of this thread is rising anti-semitism.

You tried to turn it into an anti-semitic thread.

They are not compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies