Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:12 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times

Advertisements

It appears that the eminent scholar and holocaust survivor was attacked in California. An anti-semitic message board is quoted as having taken responsibility for the incident.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...l/16666648.htm

Is anti-semitism on the rise in the US? Or has it always been another of those isms that lurks in the closet, subtlety expressed but widespread.

Certainly here in P&oC it has raised its ugly head on numerous occasions!

What do you think?

Old 02-10-2007, 12:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
This story literally makes me sick.
When you think of what Wiesel survived, and now this when he is 78 years old.
I agree that anti-semitism is *always* there; it just gets more media play these days. But to go after Elie--that's bold. I so wish they would get the guy.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Yes, I was very upset to hear about this incident; moreso because I have so much respect for Wiesel and the sane and even-handed way in which he has shared his experiences.

And, cil, do you think the media play has increased. Funny, except for some articles in the EU press (particularly Belgium and France) I haven't seen much about anti-semitism in the US press!

When I was last in the South of France, I saw lots of anti-semitic graffiti on boards and over-passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
This story literally makes me sick.
When you think of what Wiesel survived, and now this when he is 78 years old.
I agree that anti-semitism is *always* there; it just gets more media play these days. But to go after Elie--that's bold. I so wish they would get the guy.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:27 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Look at the anti-Semitism of so many of the posters on this board?! There's no reason for this hatred. I don't know where it comes from. Look at banned posters like TNlove who shovel this anti-Semitism every time they can. Anti-Semitism is so incredibly anti-intellectual that it's just astounding that some people adopt and spread this filth and that others accept it.
I heard the story about Wiesel too and it makes me burn white-hot with anger. I feel horrible for this having happened in 2007 America, and in San Francisco of all places... a city that honors transgenders, gays, all minorities? Has San Francisco made a statement yet or is it too preoccupied with Newsome's adulterous affair and "rehab" journey? It should be treated as a Hate Crime with the most severe consequences and repercussions possible. I hope they find this person and prosecute him to the limits of the law.
The claim of responsibility from a website...blah blah, just more wannabee haters. The website is out of Australia and the poster could be Australian or anywhere in the world.
Just like this recent attack this past week on the internet tocked up three of the 13 internet centers, including the Pentagon, and was reportedly traced to South Korea....no one knows actually where it originated. It may or may not have been South Korea.
Anti-Semitism must be challenged and harshly prosecuted and dealt with not just legally, but by society. We have have to stand up and challenge the TNLoves of this country intellectually and show the world and all Americans the fallacies of their arguments and expose their hatred they hide behind "wanting to be fair in Middle East politics".
It's a ruse excuse and we need to strip them bare and expose them and then treat them like the scum they are.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Unfortunately, there are so many different sources from which anti-semitism can arise.
Yes, I have read of anti-semitic incidents in France. They are dealing with Muslim immigrant issues and it is certainly becoming ugly (and remember French Ambassador Daniel Bernard). Then you have the Holocaust Denial conferences in Egypt and Iran.
But for me there was stuff that happened much closer to home, as well. And the Denver televsion and newspapers did cover it, and not in the backpages.
Maybe it is on the rise, if only in openness, blatancy.
And it seems that more than ever, Jews everywhere are identified with Israel, so that adds fuel to the fire. Israel is not above criticism, but I don't want this thread to turn into a Middle East debate.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Yes, let's not make it about the Middle East, but I do think much of the anti-semitism is related to the lack of discrimination (funny to use that word in this context) between a person of the Jewish faith and a country called Israel.

Sorry I missed any stories in the Denver papers--were these recent?

Thanks, cil, appreciate your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Unfortunately, there are so many different sources from which anti-semitism can arise.
Yes, I have read of anti-semitic incidents in France. They are dealing with Muslim immigrant issues and it is certainly becoming ugly (and remember French Ambassador Daniel Bernard). Then you have the Holocaust Denial conferences in Egypt and Iran.
But for me there was stuff that happened much closer to home, as well. And the Denver televsion and newspapers did cover it, and not in the backpages.
Maybe it is on the rise, if only in openness, blatancy.
And it seems that more than ever, Jews everywhere are identified with Israel, so that adds fuel to the fire. Israel is not above criticism, but I don't want this thread to turn into a Middle East debate.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:07 PM

Yes, MoMark, it is the anti-semitism I have read from TNLove and others that compelled me to post the thread. This incident in San Francisco, and the many remarks here in P&oC are unacceptable--just as all the other racist remarks that appear in so many of the posts.

Apparently, some one actually has taken credit for this attack on Wiesel (according to the news 5 minutes ago) and I would expect San Francisco authorities to follow through on who did it, and try them for a hate crime.

PS - I also hoped that some of those that post their hateful posts would show their stripes--right here openly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Look at the anti-Semitism of so many of the posters on this board?! There's no reason for this hatred. I don't know where it comes from. Look at banned posters like TNlove who shovel this anti-Semitism every time they can. Anti-Semitism is so incredibly anti-intellectual that it's just astounding that some people adopt and spread this filth and that others accept it.
I heard the story about Wiesel too and it makes me burn white-hot with anger. I feel horrible for this having happened in 2007 America, and in San Francisco of all places... a city that honors transgenders, gays, all minorities? Has San Francisco made a statement yet or is it too preoccupied with Newsome's adulterous affair and "rehab" journey? It should be treated as a Hate Crime with the most severe consequences and repercussions possible. I hope they find this person and prosecute him to the limits of the law.
The claim of responsibility from a website...blah blah, just more wannabee haters. The website is out of Australia and the poster could be Australian or anywhere in the world.
Just like this recent attack this past week on the internet tocked up three of the 13 internet centers, including the Pentagon, and was reportedly traced to South Korea....no one knows actually where it originated. It may or may not have been South Korea.
Anti-Semitism must be challenged and harshly prosecuted and dealt with not just legally, but by society. We have have to stand up and challenge the TNLoves of this country intellectually and show the world and all Americans the fallacies of their arguments and expose their hatred they hide behind "wanting to be fair in Middle East politics".
It's a ruse excuse and we need to strip them bare and expose them and then treat them like the scum they are.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:02 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
I don't consider myself to be anti-semitic, but I have no love for many of the political leaders who run Israel. I believe some of them are akin to George Bush, who I have no love for either (and he's not Jewish).

I do believe there is a distinction between Jewish people and the state of Israel. "Wanting to be fair in the Middle East" only becomes a religious issue when people make it a religious issue.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:34 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I don't consider myself to be anti-semitic, but I have no love for many of the political leaders who run Israel. I believe some of them are akin to George Bush, who I have no love for either (and he's not Jewish).

I do believe there is a distinction between Jewish people and the state of Israel. "Wanting to be fair in the Middle East" only becomes a religious issue when people make it a religious issue.
I feel the same way you do. But every time I say something negative about the Israeli government and their tactics, people immediately say I'm an anti-Semite. The same thing happens regarding illegal aliens, mention that and you are immediately 'racist'. That is the biggest reason I am afraid of America coming under the control of Evangelicals or any other form of religion. Once that happens there would be no end to racism and hatred of others not of that particular faith. That is the biggest problem in the middle east, all the countries are run by 'religions'. Too scary.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Is anti-semitism on the rise in the US? Or has it always been another of those isms that lurks in the closet, subtlety expressed but widespread.

Certainly here in P&oC it has raised its ugly head on numerous occasions!

What do you think?
Reports such as this alarm me. I must say, though, that since joining city-data, I'm not sure if "isms" are on the rise....or if they've been here all along and I've just lived an incredibly sheltered life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies