Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
Some one told me that they had heard there was a plan floated to tax people as income on the value of their homes if owned outright or if they owed less on it than it was worth. I said that I couldn't believe that idea would float. Talk about punishing people who are doing the right thing financially!
Why is owning property considered by you to be "the right thing"? I consider ownership a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 05:23 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why is owning property considered by you to be "the right thing"? I consider ownership a crime.
You failed to note that I said "doing the right thing financially". In case you did not understand, I meant that almost every financial expert in today's troubled times says that people should not overextend themselves but should live within their means, i.e. only purchase what they are able to pay for. I know that it is hard for some to understand the concept of purchasing a home and living in it long enough to pay off that mortgage, but it does actually happen and it doesn't take a fat cat (deserving of "punishment") just percerverance.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 PM

Ah, credit...

as in money you haven't earned yet?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Folks this is a moot argument and was floated in 2004. At that time house ownership was an asset that was increasing in value and part of you assets without exposure to taxation while increasing. Those of us who were 55 or older could walk away with $500K in appreciation tax free. In this market of so many houses decreasing in value and becoming a declining asset it is not a relevant concept anymore.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Why do you think ownership is a crime?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Why do you think ownership is a crime?
Because there is no need to possess anything. Greed is an intense feeling that you need to have something you don't...more of something you already have, or something you don't have. If I have something, and I'm not using it, why shouldn't it also be available to someone else?

Why do you need more land, for instance, than the amount you can physically occupy? If you plant crops in an area of land, why take the whole crop for yourself? You have to preserve the food, or it will go to waste. Is it better for it to go to waste?

I have no need for material possessions, I can take none of them with me when I'm dead.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 PM

418 posts, read 708,397 times
Quote:
Because there is no need to possess anything. Greed is an intense feeling that you need to have something you don't...more of something you already have, or something you don't have. If I have something, and I'm not using it, why shouldn't it also be available to someone else?

Why do you need more land, for instance, than the amount you can physically occupy? If you plant crops in an area of land, why take the whole crop for yourself? You have to preserve the food, or it will go to waste. Is it better for it to go to waste?

I have no need for material possessions, I can take none of them with me when I'm dead.
That's all fine and good but most of us live in the real world.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:29 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
yeah right. I freaking dare the government to try that one. property taxes are already bad enough.
I say let them do it, I am tired of them toeing the line or playing games that makes people "question" if they are doing right or wrong. I want them to go all out so that way there is no doubt in my mind when we start swinging them from trees.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:47 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:

When you park your car, do you leave the keys in it and the doors unlocked so that anyone who wishes may drive it while you are not driving it?
(assuming you own a car)

Old 09-26-2008, 06:50 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
I own my Houses here outright and i've heard nothing of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies