Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:01 AM

271 posts, read 934,264 times

Advertisements

Per GOP conservatives present rescue alternative: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080926/bailout_alternative_preview.html?.v=1 - broken link)

Instead of the government buying the toxic mortgage securities, banks, financial firms and other investors holding them would pay premiums to the Treasury to finance the insurance coverage.

Rep Eric Cantor, R-Va., said the plan would be to remove the burden of the bailout from taxpayers and instead place it, over time, on Wall Street

The House conservatives' plan also would:

--Offer temporary tax relief to free up capital for companies to lend one another.

--Temporarily suspend dividend payments by financial institutions.

--Require participating firms to disclose to the Treasury Department the value of mortgage assets on their books, private bids on them in the past year and their last audit reports.

--Forbid government-sponsored mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from issuing securities on unsound mortgages.

--Require the Securities and Exchange Commission to investigate the performance of credit-rating agencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I believe, this morning, Bush was warning us that if Congress does not bring him a bill that he can approve, by the end of the day today, he will declare a state of emergency and impose an executive order for a bailout of his own (Paulson's) choosing. This could also involve vetoing a bill that he does not like.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I believe, this morning, Bush was warning us that if Congress does not bring him a bill that he can approve, by the end of the day today, he will declare a state of emergency and impose an executive order for a bailout of his own (Paulson's) choosing. This could also involve vetoing a bill that he does not like.
Anyone interested in a tea party?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:14 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post

Trade you tea for gas?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 AM

In my state, along the busy highways, we have had branch after branch after branch of new banks pop up on multi million dollar lots, three in a row just last year, sitting right beside each other! Hell, you have to drive downtown now to find a restaruant, as the banks are buying out food establishments, tearing down perfectly good buildings, and building multi million dollar mega structures!!!!

There are so many multi million dollar branches, and new banks...I have always wondered how they could affort such when every other industry is having trouble recently.

Now we know...subprime profits, taxpayer losses

Capitalized gains, socialized losses....Taxpayers won't stand for it anymore!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
If Bush does this and the Congress doesn't move forward with immediate Impeachment proceedings they are not doing their job of protecting our Constitution and it is time for a revolt from the people.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post

There are so many multi million dollar branches, and new banks...I have always wondered how they could affort such when every other industry is having trouble recently.

!
Their only competition for the high-rent space is Medical Arts Plazas, where the equally unregulated medical practitioners are delivering their chicanery in ornate palaces.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM

The constitution at risk as nowhere in the constitution does it state that the job of the federal government is to bail out private institutions.

But worst yet, your children's future was already at risk due to entitlements...and now the multi trillion dollar financial bailouts over the next decade will drive the final nail into the coffin.

How can we do this to our kids futures???

Old 09-26-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
As long as we throw bankers into the water, as I wouldn't want to waste any tea...

Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 AM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times
Quote:

Already had tea this morning. I knew there was a reason I didn't have coffe like usually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies