Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:16 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,310,268 times

Advertisements

Congress wrangling with the lame duck pres. over the details of how to give away 700 Billion dollars, that's B for Billion to the banks, lending institutions, AIG insurance.
I've got a better idea, Uncle Sam should give the money to us, the US Citizens. Then, we will solve our own problems.
We'll be able to buy hummers, pay off our homes, or buy new ones, send our kids to college, and generally, live high off the hog for awhile, like the big corporate execs do. when the money runs out, we'll just go back to Uncle Sam for more, Uncle Sam can be like our rich grandpa, and we'll all be his step children.
Remember what they're saying about this bailout now, there are no guarantees that this will fix the economy. Ok, if they're willing to shell out 700 Billion with no guarantees, why not give it to us? we'll put the cash to very good uses. I myself would like to be a homeowner again, we lost ours a few years ago when I became disabled, and we're now living in a travel trailer. We could use some extra cash right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,144,441 times
Sounds like a good plan to me. We could certainly do a better job than Congress has done with our money.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:38 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,742,463 times
Lightbulb Another Way

Senator Bernie Sanders has a better plan of imposing 10% surtax on incomes over $1 Million a year for couples or $500K for single taxpayers. It would raise more than $300 Billion in revenue over five years.

You might want to read his letter to Secretary Paulson and sign the petition.

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (http://sanders.senate.gov/petitions/?petition=Financial_Crisis_1 - broken link)

Old 09-26-2008, 03:54 PM

Default What About US?

While that might seem to be a great idea, it still doesn't address the situation now. If a tax such as this is imposed, wouldn't Americans who use banks see higher banking fees than they are now? Presently, if I can't find a my bank branch and need cash, I pay $4.00 to the ATM's bank, and $2.00 to my bank for not using their ATM, so, I get screwed out of $6.00 to get my money.
I still think Uncle Sam handing out money to US, is a better idea, it would solve a lot of problems, and possibly create more, for US Citizens, but who knows? If I were given 1 Million Dollars, I'd be spending it wisely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Senator Bernie Sanders has a better plan of imposing 10% surtax on incomes over $1 Million a year for couples or $500K for single taxpayers. It would raise more than $300 Billion in revenue over five years.

You might want to read his letter to Secretary Paulson and sign the petition.

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (http://sanders.senate.gov/petitions/?petition=Financial_Crisis_1 - broken link)

Old 09-26-2008, 03:58 PM

Thumbs up Maybe Better Than

Oh, and maybe a better job than the banks executives did too?
We're pretty good money managers, my wife & I, we look for bargains on everything we buy, we conserve energy, we watch what we spend, so our money lasts through the whole month, budgeting is the key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me. We could certainly do a better job than Congress has done with our money.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,780,672 times
Let me get this straight. The Reps want a bill in which Wall St. bails themselves out, and the Dems wanted to just hurry this thing through putting us taxpayers on the hook.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:45 PM

Default That's News

Wow, where you get that news from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Let me get this straight. The Reps want a bill in which Wall St. bails themselves out, and the Dems wanted to just hurry this thing through putting us taxpayers on the hook.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,780,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Wow, where you get that news from?
Heard it on cnn and cnbc

Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Default OhWell

well, irregardless of what happens, I still want my cut!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Heard it on cnn and cnbc

Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,742,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
While that might seem to be a great idea, it still doesn't address the situation now. If a tax such as this is imposed, wouldn't Americans who use banks see higher banking fees than they are now? Presently, if I can't find a my bank branch and need cash, I pay $4.00 to the ATM's bank, and $2.00 to my bank for not using their ATM, so, I get screwed out of $6.00 to get my money.
I still think Uncle Sam handing out money to US, is a better idea, it would solve a lot of problems, and possibly create more, for US Citizens, but who knows? If I were given 1 Million Dollars, I'd be spending it wisely.
I’m sorry to hear that you’re getting screwed for $6 at your bank. However I can’t connect the dots between your ATM losses and the government bailout? Did you read Bernie Sanders letter to Paulson on the link? And yes I can understand that you’d like a million dollar bailout for yourself but there isn’t any free lunch so who’s going to pay for it? Best bet is to go buy a winning lottery ticket; that will occur before you see any money from Uncle Sam in your pocket.

The banking fees are high and they make a lot of money from them, however that isn’t the cause of the problem nor the fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies