Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Simply vote Yes or No
Yes 94 81.74%
No 21 18.26%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Another link proving dems tried to shorten or get out of iraq war.
Again, it was not part of the 2006 Party Platform. You're talking after the fact, not before the Election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Again, it was not part of the 2006 Party Platform. You're talking after the fact, not before the Election.
You're not suggesting that each candidate runs solely on the platform of the party which the belong to, are you?

Some candidates in each of the major two parties have run on a platform of ending the war, regardless of the party's platform.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 AM

230 posts, read 885,125 times
I do think that things need to be changed in this country if not overhauled completely, although, I don't think violence is the answer. I feel that we should have evolved beyond that point but obviously there are a majority of people that have not.

I feel that so many of this country's priority's are SO seriously screwed up that I can't even begin to imagine anything less than a revolution of some sort would change it.
I mean this country rewards and celebrates people like singers, actors, sports figures, corrupt CEO's, political figures, etc with INSANE wealth and fame while a school teacher, (responsible for the education of our children and therefore directly contributing to the future of this nation) cannot even make a decent living. It is proposturous when you really think about it. But still, like cattle in the herd, people continuously feed the beast.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Default OK Have It Your Way

Allright, I won't say "platform" anymore. Let me correct myself and my wording to "campaign promise" or "agenda", neither of which was ever fulfilled.
Is it any wonder why a great deal of Americans have fallen out of favor with the 2 party system, they can't seem to agree on anything.
I still say that the main reason the democrats gained the majority of the house and senate is because they made the campaign statements of getting the US out of Iraq, with Americans being war weary and wanting change, but, you can disagree with my statement here all you want. One can call it platform, campaign promise (lies) or agenda. and, please, it wasn't "after the fact", it was during the campaign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 10-01-2008 at 05:17 AM..

Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 AM

Default Can I Have 2 Votes On This?

H*ly Cow, could this be 2 votes for the word "Platform"? I thought for a minute my vocabulary was tainted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
You're not suggesting that each candidate runs solely on the platform of the party which the belong to, are you?

Some candidates in each of the major two parties have run on a platform of ending the war, regardless of the party's platform.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 AM

Default Negotiate

That's right friend, not much was ever accomplished by Violence. If violence is used to change things, people tend to not forget so easily. Take for instance the people of Iraq, Afghanistan, some must really hate America for the pain and suffering they endure. Iraq, and Iran are war torn nations, they're tired of it, and most of their population want's to have peace.
you've said a mouthful, in only a few words. priorities are definitely messed up.
where did we go wrong? this needs fixing.
Feeding the beast? isn't it more like politicians feeding us the BS?
I gotta rep you for this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acapr220 View Post
I do think that things need to be changed in this country if not overhauled completely, although, I don't think violence is the answer. I feel that we should have evolved beyond that point but obviously there are a majority of people that have not.

I feel that so many of this country's priority's are SO seriously screwed up that I can't even begin to imagine anything less than a revolution of some sort would change it.
I mean this country rewards and celebrates people like singers, actors, sports figures, corrupt CEO's, political figures, etc with INSANE wealth and fame while a school teacher, (responsible for the education of our children and therefore directly contributing to the future of this nation) cannot even make a decent living. It is proposturous when you really think about it. But still, like cattle in the herd, people continuously feed the beast.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 AM

425 posts, read 665,508 times
Default I Have a Brilliant Idea!

Do away with campaign funds and fundraisers (this really is where the corrupt rubber meets the road)

Vote out the incumbents (ALL of them)

Start fresh

Adjust the House and Senate payscales to match the military payscales

New Congressman = Private First Class

Throw anybody in jail that is paying their spouse out of PAC funds!

P.S. What the heck is a PAC fund anyway?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:53 AM

Default Pac?

Political Action Committee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
Do away with campaign funds and fundraisers (this really is where the corrupt rubber meets the road)

Vote out the incumbents (ALL of them)

Start fresh

Adjust the House and Senate payscales to match the military payscales

New Congressman = Private First Class

Throw anybody in jail that is paying their spouse out of PAC funds!

P.S. What the heck is a PAC fund anyway?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 AM

425 posts, read 665,508 times
What does it do? What's it for? Certainly not to pay a spouse, right...

Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 AM

Default More On PAC Funds

Here are some links that tell about pac funds.
evidently, if you're running for a public office, and I give you a private donation of $100.00, I guess you can spend the $100.00 I gave you any way you want. hard money. buy a tank of gas? But, believe me, she's not the only person that does this, and probably won't be the last. some Americans might view the uses of PAC Funds as clear abuse of them, while others might think it's ok to do. Frankly, I don't have an opinion of it. I know politicans need money to get their word out, e.g. what they believe is for the good of America or what they propose to do once elected through media agencies, political ads on tv and radio and internet and newsprint, which is costly (advertising is expensive). I'd just like to see more accountability (personal responsibility) of the money used, and not see the cash used inappropriately. Maybe giving the $$$$ to a family member might be ok, as long as the relative is using the money to try to get the candidate elected, or re-elected? I put a question mark after the last sentence because I'm still not sure this is ok to do.
PAC funds - Google Search

Washington Times - EXCLUSIVE: Pelosi paid husband with PAC funds

TYPES OF POLITICAL COMMITTEES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
What does it do? What's it for? Certainly not to pay a spouse, right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies