Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

Has it occurred to anyone that Obamaniacs like the OP are much like Scientologists? This weird presumption of Democrats as Goodness and Light versus the Republican Evil and Darkness speaks to an unsophisticated and naive mindset. And a dangerous one, to boot.

Let's say it this way: Both parties have done incalculable damage to the country. The Republicans over the past eight years in ways too numerous to name, and the Democrats with the creation and dogged defense of enormous entitlement programs that simply cannot be sustained. In fact, today's market meltdown was caused in large part by the enormous run-up of housing prices and risky mortgages underwritten at the behest--and outright coercion--of the Democratic brainchildren of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the FHA.

Now, that we've addressed the national politics, let's give you some insight on the Southern United States. The South was run as the private political preserve of the Democratic party for more than a century. During that time, the South experienced Jim Crow Laws, a cozy relationship between politicos and business that would would have made J. P. Morgan blush, bad roads, bad education, unfair tax burdens, "Progressive" state governments, and a whole host of other examples of bad government in action. Can you understand why we're reluctant to trust Democrats with power ever again?

The predictable result of this Democratic monopoly? The South lagged far, far behind the rest of the country in every category.

Then, in the 1980s, Republicans began being elected to state offices. A few at first, but more and more. Guess what happened? Southern states began moving up the food chain in terms of economic strength and household income. In the 1970s, household income among Southerners was around 70-75% of Northerners and Westerners. Today, it's more like 95%. What's more, even while Southern states remain close to the bottom of the rankings, the gap has closed very quickly. For example, if trends continue, Alabama will pass Michigan in household income sometime in the years 2010-2011. In the early 80s, Birmingham's unemployment rate was the country's worst, along with Flint, Michigan's. Today, it's one of the country's best. That shows you how far this part of the country has come under Republican tutelage.

I cite Alabama, because that's where I have lived the past 15 years (Before that, I was in Chicago). I have noted incredible progress in this state. The government is actually efficient now, and it's become a hotbed for industrial relocation. Today, Mercedes, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Kia and Toyota all have plants within 120 miles of my house. Even those plants that are not in Alabama positively affect us with automotive suppliers. Pharmaceuticals, steel, and a host of other industries are relocating here, due partly to a fiscal policy that encourages business, and partly to a concerted effort on the part of government to keep down the cost of doing business. Freeways are being built in short-order, rather than being dragged out for decades. In fact, our current governor, Bob Riley, has been such a great governor, that he has a 70% approval rating among Democrats. If that doesn't tell you something, nothing will.

So, after more than a century of corruption, abuse, and mismanagement at the hands of the Democratic party, you'll excuse us if we've started voting Republican. We see a profound difference in the style and quality of government. And none of your supercilious, self-righteous nonsense is going to change the way we feel.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-29-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
I've never understood why lower class and middle class people vote for democrats. The Democratic party loves to raise taxes. Not that Republicans never do though.
I've never understood why lower and middle class people vote Republican. Republicans are known to usually give the largest tax breaks to the wealthiest people. Taxes are used to fund social services, public schools, transportation projects, etc. If no one pays any taxes, where is the money to fund services, education, and infrastructure supposed to come from? Social services, such as public assistance, are primarily used by lower income families. Republicans tend to cut government provided financial aid for college students, making it difficult, if not impossible, for students to fund their education. It would therefore not make sense for them to vote for a candidate whose policies are going to cut those services off. At least Democrats strive to have a progressive tax system, where wealthier people ideally carry a heavier tax burden than the poor and middle class. It's better than the regressive tax system that usually establishes itself when Republicans take office, where the poor end up carrying a heavier burden of taxes than the wealthy.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Don't feed trolls like the O.P. This post has no business on the U.S. forum, it needs to be on the politics forum.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:35 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
^^^ This post has every right to be on this forum, OP is asking if we're embarrassed to live in a republican state.

Yes, I'm embarrassed Texas is a die hard red state.

Worst of all; Dallas is already known for the JFK assassination, now they're building the George Bush Presidential Library here. How many monuments to national tragedies can one city claim?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:56 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
^^^ This post has every right to be on this forum, OP is asking if we're embarrassed to live in a republican state.

Yes, I'm embarrassed Texas is a die hard red state.

Worst of all; Dallas is already known for the JFK assassination, now they're building the George Bush Presidential Library here. How many monuments to national tragedies can one city claim?
Why the hell would you give a damn what other people think?? I'm not embarassed to live in Texas and I shouldn't be. I'm not the one that put Bush in office so I have no need to feel guilty or explain myself to anybody.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:36 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
I am a libertarian, and I find it very hard to live in California. I wish Ron Paul could have gone farther, but I think I am voting Bob Barr.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:53 AM

234 posts, read 1,270,198 times
If Obama is elected -- I am moving to Canada.

No wait.... I mean if Bush is elected I'm moving to Canada.

No wait.... I mean if Palin is elected I'm moving to Canada.

Oh bother -- OP why don't you just move to Canda.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:01 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why the hell would you give a damn what other people think?? I'm not embarassed to live in Texas and I shouldn't be. I'm not the one that put Bush in office so I have no need to feel guilty or explain myself to anybody.
I care how others within my state think about politics, because how they think and vote effects me. If more people in Texas would quit voting down party lines and do better evaluation, we possibly wouldn't have a lame duck President in office, a war and a jacked up economy. Yes, I care!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:19 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In fact, today's market meltdown was caused in large part by the enormous run-up of housing prices and risky mortgages underwritten at the behest--and outright coercion--of the Democratic brainchildren of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the FHA.
That happened as a result of running those agencies like a corporation. The search for profit was like catnip to a cat or a bone to a dog. Recently it has reverted to being run like a government agency. Thank goodness!!!

Quote:
Now, that we've addressed the national politics, let's give you some insight on the Southern United States. The South was run as the private political preserve of the Democratic party for more than a century. During that time, the South experienced Jim Crow Laws, a cozy relationship between politicos and business that would would have made J. P. Morgan blush, bad roads, bad education, unfair tax burdens, "Progressive" state governments, and a whole host of other examples of bad government in action. Can you understand why we're reluctant to trust Democrats with power ever again?
Did you notice those Democrats switch to Republican around 1980?

Quote:
Then, in the 1980s, Republicans began being elected to state offices. A few at first, but more and more. Guess what happened? Southern states began moving up the food chain in terms of economic strength and household income. In the 1970s, household income among Southerners was around 70-75% of Northerners and Westerners. Today, it's more like 95%. What's more, even while Southern states remain close to the bottom of the rankings, the gap has closed very quickly. For example, if trends continue, Alabama will pass Michigan in household income sometime in the years 2010-2011. In the early 80s, Birmingham's unemployment rate was the country's worst, along with Flint, Michigan's. Today, it's one of the country's best. That shows you how far this part of the country has come under Republican tutelage.

I cite Alabama, because that's where I have lived the past 15 years (Before that, I was in Chicago). I have noted incredible progress in this state. The government is actually efficient now, and it's become a hotbed for industrial relocation. Today, Mercedes, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Kia and Toyota all have plants within 120 miles of my house. Even those plants that are not in Alabama positively affect us with automotive suppliers. Pharmaceuticals, steel, and a host of other industries are relocating here, due partly to a fiscal policy that encourages business, and partly to a concerted effort on the part of government to keep down the cost of doing business. Freeways are being built in short-order, rather than being dragged out for decades. In fact, our current governor, Bob Riley, has been such a great governor, that he has a 70% approval rating among Democrats. If that doesn't tell you something, nothing will.

So, after more than a century of corruption, abuse, and mismanagement at the hands of the Democratic party, you'll excuse us if we've started voting Republican. We see a profound difference in the style and quality of government. And none of your supercilious, self-righteous nonsense is going to change the way we feel.
If you were in Texas, Rick Perry is not well liked. (The recent well-liked governor is the late Ann Richards and she's a Progressive Democrat.) In fact he aided and abetted the electric company deregulation. This is waking up Texans to the lies of the Republican establishment. So after twenty years of Reganism, you'll have to excuse us if we've started voting Democrat. This is a purple state turning blue!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
my state will probably always be republican thus i don't vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies