Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:40 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
So am I. But my quesiton for you money gurus? Isnt this huge correction good for me in the near future if I want to start investing. Once everying gets as bad as it can get, it can only go up right? I sold my home last year (for profit), cashed in my IRAs (lost my 10 percent penalty), and I am just sitting on the sidelines. Had I not cashed out, my net worth would only be worth 26 percent of what it was 8 months ago.
I would say so. The market is a bit up and down right now, but if you catch it at the right time, it could be a HUGE benefit to you in long term after things stabilize and get back on track. Then again, long term investors aren't worried atm, the short term ones are the ones shaking in their boots. Makes sense though, I always saw short term trading as nothing short of rolling the dice at the craps table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Buy low. The lower the better.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:44 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Crash??? It's down 4%, that's hardly a crash ... you must not play the market, A crash is 25% like in 1987 or 50% like 1929.

It's buy time ... there's money in them-there panicked traders.
Yep, I predict a lot of rich people in the future. *chuckle*

Old 09-29-2008, 12:44 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Yep and there is money to made today ... tomorrow will be profit taking.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:47 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well, in light of these past couple of weeks, that is not a very sensible response. I'm one of those who DID plan...carefully. I just retired 3 months ago and, supposedly, had enough in savings and investments to make my retirement comfortable as long as I was prudent. Guess what, I just watched my retirement money go up in smoke....despite my careful planning ...because of the greed and mismanagment of others. So today I am thankful that my SS was not invested in the stock market because it is about the only thing untouched.

Sorry to hear that. I hate to see folks loose what they've saved up for, truly sad. I hope SS stays in good standing. I'm not sure what a pocket full of money would be any good for in the future though, we may all end up living off the land or go hungry, with money or not. I invested in plenty of garden space,and woods for future fire wood.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Looks like Pelosi screwed up with that final speech. Look how many Dems voted against it Yeah, bi partisan my a-s-s, can't even get your own people on board Pelosi and Frank This is amazing
She is amazing....not. This is very interesting. In 89 the market droped 25 percent, in 29 it was over 50 percent. This is still a small percentage drop, so it will be interesting to see where it lands.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:53 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well, in light of these past couple of weeks, that is not a very sensible response. I'm one of those who DID plan...carefully. I just retired 3 months ago and, supposedly, had enough in savings and investments to make my retirement comfortable as long as I was prudent. Guess what, I just watched my retirement money go up in smoke....despite my careful planning ...because of the greed and mismanagment of others. So today I am thankful that my SS was not invested in the stock market because it is about the only thing untouched.
Your SS is not untouched. It doesn't really exist. The money you put into social security was spent years ago. What you get now is simply borrowed from China. It's all a big shell game, the biggest pyramid scheme in history.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
The bailout should fail, and I'm glad that it appears as if it has. I will endure any hardship I have to in order to ensure that my children and their peers do not have to have a 70% tax burden. If that means I'm working two jobs and don't get luxuries, so be it. Better I pay for the mess my generation has made then have my kids pay for it.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The House of Reps got it right for a change. Now let us watch the dance.

LML - good luck. I suggest just letting your investments stay where they are. If you diversified and were prudent you will be fine. There is still a lot of work to be done after the speculators are chastized.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:58 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Your SS is not untouched. It doesn't really exist. The money you put into social security was spent years ago. What you get now is simply borrowed from China. It's all a big shell game, the biggest pyramid scheme in history.
Exactly... and much of what was there has been borrowed against by the government itself.

And ... here's the big revelation... because your portfolio is down 15% for the year doesn't mean you lost 15% of your money. Until you sell for less than you purchased, looking at the basis, you don't lose money.

If you didn't sell a dime, and the companies you invested in didn't go bankrupt, you haven't lost a dime yet. Just like you didn't make a dime when you bought at $10 and it rose in value to $30 and you didn't sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies